2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY ONE

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 07:53 PM)
Is it a 99.9999 % chance that he will sign?

Seeing how all the top pitchers this year pretty much lost money due to various injuries, he is going sign so long as the Sox offer slot, IMO. Too big a risk to go back to Vandy and have another heavy workload.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 07:55 PM)
Seeing how all the top pitchers this year pretty much lost money due to various injuries, he is going sign so long as the Sox offer slot, IMO. Too big a risk to go back to Vandy and have another heavy workload.

He will sign his stock will not be any higher.

I like Fulmer but seeing that Stephenson was still there kinda bums me out. I know you don't draft for a need in the draft but still, it set up perfectly to do just that.

I understand you can never have enough good pitching, and that the Sox have developed pitchers way better than position players but eh.

Guess they could always trade pitching for hitting.

Gonna be interesting to see what that rotation looks like in 2 years or so. Sale-Q-Rodon-Fulmer should all be there. Shark? EJ? Beck? Danish? Montas? Guerrero? Other?.....

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:34 PM)
And we would have successfully developed him?

I lean more to the player's natural talent rather than the player development. I'd bet you could take the likes of Keenyn Walker, put them in any organisation in baseball and they wouldn't have developed him into a major league player.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:37 AM)
Chances Matuella makes it to the fourth?

If so, do you take him?

No, because he is unlikely to sign if picked so low by a team with a small draft budget. Considering the lack of picks for the Sox, you need to make sure you can sign the guy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:39 PM)
No, because he is unlikely to sign if picked so low by a team with a small draft budget. Considering the lack of picks for the Sox, you need to make sure you can sign the guy.

But at this rate, he's looking at risking not getting drafted all together if something happens next year at Duke

He's in a very, very sticky situation.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:41 PM)
But at this rate, he's looking at risking not getting drafted all together if something happens next year at Duke

He's in a very, very sticky situation.

What is Boras doing? Not many teams can even realistically do it at this point?

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
Cubs get a guy who hit .422/.483/.749 (in NCAA Div 1, albeit a weak conference) with a pick that could have been the White Sox

#3 RPI league isn't exactly weak. He played on the only weak team in that league.

Hitters are a lot more scarce in this era.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
Cubs get a guy who hit .422/.483/.749 (in NCAA Div 1, albeit a weak conference) with a pick that could have been the White Sox

Sox get a guy who went 13-2 with a 1.82 ERA, 1.06 WHIP, 12 K/9 and 3.3 BB/9 in the best conference in college baseball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 12:34 AM)
No, but the term rushed is overblown IMO.

i totally agree on overblown.

it is a term that matches well as "damn if you, damn if you don't"

in the hindsight game of looking at the past, rushing players is really not working. just recently i can think of 2 players that it didn't help the club, but in realty hurt the prospect. Eric Johnson, and Hawkins.

pushing the players from A thru AA, ok, i can see it, now can you pls explain to me, why do it??? wouldn't it be better to fully develop a player??

how many times has it hurt, or better yet, lets say in the last 15 yrs, beside Sale, who else has it helped? pls don't include Rodon in that group b/c he is really not ready. he is still learning his craft.