2015 MLB Draft Thread - Discussion - DAY TWO

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)
That isn't a consistent line of thought at all.

yes it is, how many times have posters criticized KW????

this system is at what state b/c of KW??

how many successful draft picks been under KW????

have you forgotten all this??

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
The Sox can draft and develop pitchers pretty well. I call that a skill. They suck at hitters. I call that a failure.

then there is no luck what so ever, uh.

so every pitcher they drafted is a certified success.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
i totally agree, at this point, some prep arms maybe the the better route. but this systems needs positional players, no matter what.

I know you have done a lot of research on this draft. What are some names you think could pop up for the Sox in the fourth round?

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
yes it is, how many times have posters criticized KW????

this system is at what state b/c of KW??

how many successful draft picks been under KW????

have you forgotten all this??

None of that has anything to do with the topic at hand.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
I know you have done a lot of research on this draft. What are some names you think could pop up for the Sox in the fourth round?

quite of few, but my problem is i don't know if he value of the player is where experts say they should.

look at David thompson 3b, Miami, all except for 1 mock had him going in the comp round of the 1 round. now, in round 3, he is still on undrafted.

i already mention some hitters earlier in this post,

Mitchell Nau - c

George Iskenderian

Sean Trent, i really like this navy kid, i am just unsure of his military commitment.

kep brown or something.

there is 1 player i am very intrigue about is c j hinzo something or another. he was suppose to have been a potential first rounder and they fell apart. my question is why??? too much pressure?? can he be fixed??

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
None of that has anything to do with the topic at hand.

yes it is, it has all to do with what is being discussed. luck. bad luck and good luck. it comes in pairs.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
You are just making stuff up now.

i am acting to respond to your post and the irony of what you are debating.

i am sorry you are not seeing it, i am not as intent on winning this debate as you. i am just defending my post.

so with that.

You are just making stuff up now.

not really, according to you, it is not luck so by default it is skills, so every pitcher is a success, b/c of the skills set of the sox.

simple logic chaos.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:25 AM)
i am acting to respond to your post and the irony of what you are debating.

i am sorry you are not seeing it, i am not as intent on winning this debate as you. i am just defending my post.

so with that.

Irony? No, consistency. You don't get "luck" on one side, but blame on the other. You get credit for both the good and the bad, unless there was real luck involved, such as Mitchell's ankle break.

You make your own luck. I am not dismissing Sale, Quintana, Rodon, and company as luck.

now you are double talking.

my head is spinning on your turn around.

Justin Garza is a name I like later on today. JR at Fullerton who has been a horse for 2.5 years, however, he got hurt late this season and needed Tommy John. Would have been a top 4 round pick but now a guy you might get later on and be able to build up. Small built but good stuff and some upside. Might profile more longer term as a very good reliever, but has the repetoire of pitches to be a successful starter with above avg FB / Ch / Slider.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
Justin Garza is a name I like later on today. JR at Fullerton who has been a horse for 2.5 years, however, he got hurt late this season and needed Tommy John. Would have been a top 4 round pick but now a guy you might get later on and be able to build up. Small built but good stuff and some upside. Might profile more longer term as a very good reliever, but has the repetoire of pitches to be a successful starter with above avg FB / Ch / Slider.

description sounds like Jace Fry.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:28 AM)
now you are double talking.

my head is spinning on your turn around.

That wasn't a turn around. Luck isn't an abstract as far as I am concerned. You improve your odds of success based on how you handle things. When it comes to pitching the Sox are doing something better than almost any other team in baseball to keep churning out top of the rotation talent. Hencing making your own "luck" isn't really luck. It is skill.

If it was luck as an abstract, it wouldn't keep happening, luck would even out. Just like it isn't luck that we aren't dveloping hitters. There are clear reason for our failures.

Neither is luck in an abstract form.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
That wasn't a turn around. Luck isn't an abstract as far as I am concerned. You improve your odds of success based on how you handle things. When it comes to pitching the Sox are doing something better than almost any other team in baseball to keep churning out top of the rotation talent. Hencing making your own "luck" isn't really luck. It is skill.

If it was luck as an abstract, it wouldn't keep happening, luck would even out. Just like it isn't luck that we aren't dveloping hitters. There are clear reason for our failures.

Neither is luck in an abstract form.

last time for me. how many times has sox's prospects developed...... lousy drafting, poor luck in not developing...etc...

re.... bolded.....it is b/c of bad luck. the skills weren't there to take that person to the next level.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
last time for me. how many times has sox's prospects developed...... lousy drafting, poor luck in not developing...etc...

re.... bolded.....it is b/c of bad luck. the skills weren't there to take that person to the next level.

That isn't luck.

Historically the "poor drafting" was due to refusal to go over recommended slot. That isn't luck. That is a strategic decision to funnel resources to the major league team. It is not a coincidence that we are seeing hitters move through the system now that the rest of MLB is now subject to the slot ceilings. It was also due to not being in a position to draft high on an annual basis, like the Cubs and Astros of the world. That also isn't luck. That is a decision to purposefully field bad baseball teams for a half of a decade.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 04:44 PM)
That isn't luck.

Historically the "poor drafting" was due to refusal to go over recommended slot. That isn't luck. That is a strategic decision to funnel resources to the major league team. It is not a coincidence that we are seeing hitters move through the system now that the rest of MLB is now subject to the slot ceilings. It was also due to not being in a position to draft high on an annual basis, like the Cubs and Astros of the world. That also isn't luck. That is a decision to purposefully field bad baseball teams for a half of a decade.

but the development of the hitters is still based on bad luck.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:19 AM)
quite of few, but my problem is i don't know if he value of the player is where experts say they should.

look at David thompson 3b, Miami, all except for 1 mock had him going in the comp round of the 1 round. now, in round 3, he is still on undrafted.

i already mention some hitters earlier in this post,

Mitchell Nau - c

George Iskenderian

Sean Trent, i really like this navy kid, i am just unsure of his military commitment.

kep brown or something.

there is 1 player i am very intrigue about is c j hinzo something or another. he was suppose to have been a potential first rounder and they fell apart. my question is why??? too much pressure?? can he be fixed??

Thanks LDF. I'm going to look these guys up now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)
That isn't luck.

It was a really stupid strategic decision but agreed that the refusal to spend on the draft is the main reason for the poor drafting that the Sox had for a long time.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 05:59 PM)
Thanks LDF. I'm going to look these guys up now.

kep brown was suppose to been in the running to make the first round as well, but got hurt. he was, in the beginning of the season, one of the best hitters in the prep. but i guess he was unlucky. :D

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 06:02 PM)
It was a really stupid strategic decision but agreed that the refusal to spend on the draft is the main reason for the poor drafting that the Sox had for a long time.

i agree, that was another time and in another era of baseball. still it is the sox policy to address the draft this way, i guess it was unlucky that the sox got their marching orders from the owners. ;)

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 9, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
i agree, that was another time and in another era of baseball. still it is the sox policy to address the draft this way, i guess it was unlucky that the sox got their marching orders from the owners. ;)

They didn't get their marching order from the owner. The front office made a decision to filter more money to the pro side and ignore the development side and it showed. We still haven't hit on the equation or solved the problem as we can not produce good hitters and really need to evaluate what is going on their from a development perspective. The hard thing is, it takes a long time to see if changes you made from a draft to development perspective were the right or wrong decisions. Is their some luck in the process, sure, but over time, it is a skill. Some franchises are better then others and that is to their credit. They put guys in the best position to succeed and get the most out of them more often then others.