Ventura to miss weekend series

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 07:29 AM)
now, RV was not here, he didn't make the lineup, so, any more harsh notes on RV and is lack of managing skills??

Yeah, sure.

He trusts a guy as his bench coach who doesn't even have the sense to pinch hit Soto OR Boni vs. LHRP, instead staying with Flowers and Sanchez (who while being a switch "hitter" ostensibly, has never hit lefties well) What does that say about the staff and their strategies?

Also, replacing the struggling Melky in the two hole with Lexi is such a typical treading water move for this crew. Putting a terrible OBP guy in that position because of some vague idea of "bat handling" or whatever it is they're thinking, is just plain stupid, again. Avi should have been moved to the two hole - that's what Maddon and most good modern managers would do in this situation. The fundamental truth is you score runs by bunching up your hits, not by spreading them out. Do our guys even get this?

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard a rumor that Robin will also miss a three game series in August when the carnival is town. Both he and Hahn think it is important that he spends time with his family. And everyone knows it is tough to get from the teacups to the ballpark, without first swinging by the funnel cake stand.... so you might as well make a weekend of it.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
Yeah, sure.

He trusts a guy as his bench coach who doesn't even have the sense to pinch hit Soto OR Boni vs. LHRP, instead staying with Flowers and Sanchez (who while being a switch "hitter" ostensibly, has never hit lefties well) What does that say about the staff and their strategies?

Also, replacing the struggling Melky in the two hole with Lexi is such a typical treading water move for this crew. Putting a terrible OBP guy in that position because of some vague idea of "bat handling" or whatever it is they're thinking, is just plain stupid, again. Avi should have been moved to the two hole - that's what Maddon and most good modern managers would do in this situation. The fundamental truth is you score runs by bunching up your hits, not by spreading them out. Do our guys even get this?

and you are nitpicking on little items to make a point.

the other point is, except for a couple of players, hitting, this whole team is struggling.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
Heard a rumor that Robin will also miss a three game series in August when the carnival is town. Both he and Hahn think it is important that he spends time with his family. And everyone knows it is tough to get from the teacups to the ballpark, without first swinging by the funnel cake stand.... so you might as well make a weekend of it.

Priorities in life. Speaking of someone who has a daughter, Carnivals and daughters are two of the ones at the top.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
Yeah, sure.

LOL at wanting Boni and/or Soto to pinch hit. Both guys are not big league caliber players.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 01:40 PM)
LOL at wanting Boni and/or Soto to pinch hit. Both guys are not big league caliber players.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 11:43 AM)
and you are nitpicking on little items to make a point.

Yes, they suck. But substantial career numbers against LHP says they suck far, far less than Flowers/Sanchez in that situation. About 200 OPS points each, but who cares, right?

We're bad precisely because of the "little things" that other teams do that we don't - and this is among them. The little things add up. Is baserunning a little thing? Ours is the worst we've ever seen.

Look, I'm an optimist generally, but I'm becoming resigned to a certain attitude that sticks in my gut - the org won't make the sweeping changes needed until the old man kicks it or otherwise relinquishes control. This upcoming offseason needs to be a watershed, but as the Chairman ages, he'll likely become more and more resistant to drastic change. And it will remind me more and more of the Hawks from back in the Dollar Bill days.

Sorry for rant. We have different definitions of nitpicking.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 08:20 PM)
Yes, they suck. But substantial career numbers against LHP says they suck far, far less than Flowers/Sanchez in that situation. About 200 OPS points each, but who cares, right?

We're bad precisely because of the "little things" that other teams do that we don't - and this is among them. The little things add up. Is baserunning a little thing? Ours is the worst we've ever seen.

Look, I'm an optimist generally, but I'm becoming resigned to a certain attitude that sticks in my gut - the org won't make the sweeping changes needed until the old man kicks it or otherwise relinquishes control. This upcoming offseason needs to be a watershed, but as the Chairman ages, he'll likely become more and more resistant to drastic change. And it will remind me more and more of the Hawks from back in the Dollar Bill days.

Sorry for rant. We have different definitions of nitpicking.

nitpicking is one thing, and i on occasion am guilty of that.

however on the bolded, i am in total agreement with you and that is not nitpicking, that is telling the truth. i have been guilty again of saying as much, to a point, i am sure poster are tired of it.

what i am and was defending is normal stuff that RV can do, like go and see his family on special events and yet get criticize from a group of soxtalk posters. or, while there, still get criticize for the managing of the game.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
nitpicking is one thing, and i on occasion am guilty of that.

however on the bolded, i am in total agreement with you and that is not nitpicking, that is telling the truth. i have been guilty again of saying as much, to a point, i am sure poster are tired of it.

what i am and was defending is normal stuff that RV can do, like go and see his family on special events and yet get criticize from a group of soxtalk posters. or, while there, still get criticize for the managing of the game.

FTR, I have no issues with RV taking the time off. Just a general frustration seeing that as the excuses for THIS season pile up, we'll undoubtedly head into NEXT season with the same bad manager and coaching/development staff - and this was the closest Robin-bashing thread available. :D

I'm bummed out. We need a housecleaning and I damn well know it ain't happening.

Edited by Stan Bahnsen

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 11:54 AM)
FTR, I have no issues with RV taking the time off. Just a general frustration seeing that as the excuses for THIS season pile up, we'll undoubtedly head into NEXT season with the same bad manager and coaching/development staff - and this was the closest Robin-bashing thread available. :D

I'm bummed out. We need a housecleaning and I damn well know it ain't happening.

If the Bulls fired a winning coach, why don't you think Robin could be in danger after this season???

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
If the Bulls fired a winning coach, why don't you think Robin could be in danger after this season???

Loyalty trumps performance in our beloved dysfunctional org.

You can say whatever the F*** you want... but when we win 3 in a row and then the manager takes 3 games off and we lose them all.

It doesn't look good... makes the white sox look like a joke...

Am I saying it would have mattered if Robin was here? Nah I'm not making that conclusion

But boy does it look bad now.

Going into the series we all knew it was going to be difficult with Danks going Friday and Samardzija going Saturday. Samardzija was roughed up in his previous two outings so nobody knew what to expect from him. Then the Sox had Sale in today's so there was hope there, but the offense let them down. Point is, I was not expecting much from this series with or without Robin. Not with the way Danks and Samardzija had been pitching.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 09:47 PM)
You can say whatever the F*** you want... but when we win 3 in a row and then the manager takes 3 games off and we lose them all.

Am I saying it would have mattered if Robin was here? Nah I'm not making that conclusion

I will say whatever the bleep I want since you said I could. We still would have gotten swept had Robin been at the helm. At least we know Parent is a clown as well. Sox had their first controversy of the season with him in charge, Eaton meeting with him after getting benched. The manager didn't take three games off, by the way. He got a paid leave of absence approved by the GM and owner to go to his daughter's graduation. You ought to get over it. It had no effect on the series. Tampa is way better than Chicago, especially at home. Our team simply is lousy. Hanging around .500 truly has been a miracle. Eventually (I 'm not sure when) this team will fall 10, 15 below .500 and that's where it will stay, probably finishing the season 10-15 under unless it puts together some crazy win streak once they are officially eliminated.

Start the firesale, baby! But seriously this topic should never have started. Robin had no effect on those games, geez. It doesn't make the Sox look like a joke as you suggested BTW. The Sox did the right thing letting him off instead of enduring those 3 losses.

GO SOX!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
I will say whatever the bleep I want since you said I could. We still would have gotten swept had Robin been at the helm. At least we know Parent is a clown as well. Sox had their first controversy of the season with him in charge, Eaton meeting with him after getting benched. The manager didn't take three games off, by the way. He got a paid leave of absence approved by the GM and owner to go to his daughter's graduation. You ought to get over it. It had no effect on the series. Tampa is way better than Chicago, especially at home. Our team simply is lousy. Hanging around .500 truly has been a miracle. Eventually (I 'm not sure when) this team will fall 10, 15 below .500 and that's where it will stay, probably finishing the season 10-15 under unless it puts together some crazy win streak once they are officially eliminated.

Start the firesale, baby! But seriously this topic should never have started. Robin had no effect on those games, geez. It doesn't make the Sox look like a joke as you suggested BTW. The Sox did the right thing letting him off instead of enduring those 3 losses.

GO SOX!

You are right... I mean why even hire managers or have them in the hall of fame.

They have no point.

Edited by harkness

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 04:10 AM)
You are right... I mean why even hire managers or have them in the hall of fame.

They have no point.

I just think this is real life and the Sox made a classy real-life decision to let the skipper off the entire weekend rather than hustling back all the way across the country for the final game of the series. Also, we now know Parent doesn't have the right stuff immediately causing a very minor incident with a player.

Despite a cash infusion of more than $70 million this offseason, the White Sox are on pace to score 587 runs. The 2013 club, which lost 99 games, scored 598.

The offense has produced three or fewer runs 31 times in 61 games and the club is 5-26 in those games.

“Sooner or later it’s got to change,” Parent said. “We’ve got to start getting some hits. We’ve got to start chasing each other around the bases. That’s what people are doing to us. We need to do it to them.”

www.csnchicago.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 14, 2015 -> 09:47 PM)

We lost each game due to the 3 reasons that we've sucked this season.

We lost Game 1 due to the Defense.

We lost Game 2 due to the Bullpen.

We lost Game 3 due to the Putrid Offense.

All 3 of those games we could have won. All three of these games we blew due to these areas. If the defense has supported Danks properly then we'd have won game one. If Putnam and Petricka could have just gotten 3 outs, we'd have won Game 2 and if the Offense could have hit a single with any of the numerous runners in scoring position in Game 3, we'd have won that one.

The Parent call on Eaton worked as he went on a tear when he was used after the benching.

Now they need to do the same with Ramirez and they need to stop messing about with the pen.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 03:33 AM)
We lost each game due to the 3 reasons that we've sucked this season.

We lost Game 1 due to the Defense.

We lost Game 2 due to the Bullpen.

We lost Game 3 due to the Putrid Offense.

All 3 of those games we could have won. All three of these games we blew due to these areas. If the defense has supported Danks properly then we'd have won game one. If Putnam and Petricka could have just gotten 3 outs, we'd have won Game 2 and if the Offense could have hit a single with any of the numerous runners in scoring position in Game 3, we'd have won that one.

The Parent call on Eaton worked as he went on a tear when he was used after the benching.

Now they need to do the same with Ramirez and they need to stop messing about with the pen.

You forgot to add poor base running.

And, let's face it, Game 2 was as much or more about Alexei Ramirez not making two plays he normally makes in his sleep. To put that loss/blown save on Putnam and Petricka isn't really accurate.

Unfortunately, we aren't benching Gordon Beckham, Tyler Flowers and Alexei Ramirez. While Gordon finally broke his 0/25 slide, he also committed an error.

This is merely things evening out again, it's baseball. We just went 5-1 against a first place team in the Houston Astros. We could play them 25 times in six game sets and probably would go 5-1 only once or twice. Remember, we had 4-5 huge comeback wins early in the season that didn't fit with our pythagorean numbers, suggesting our "real" record should actually be the worst in the American League.

The fact is, even with Abreu, LaRoche, Melky, Avisail and Eaton, we're on a pace to score less runs than the horrendous 2013 team.

That takes some doing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
You forgot to add poor base running.

And, let's face it, Game 2 was as much or more about Alexei Ramirez not making two plays he normally makes in his sleep. To put that loss/blown save on Putnam and Petricka isn't really accurate.

Unfortunately, we aren't benching Gordon Beckham, Tyler Flowers and Alexei Ramirez. While Gordon finally broke his 0/25 slide, he also committed an error.

This is merely things evening out again, it's baseball. We just went 5-1 against a first place team in the Houston Astros. We could play them 25 times in six game sets and probably would go 5-1 only once or twice. Remember, we had 4-5 huge comeback wins early in the season that didn't fit with our pythagorean numbers, suggesting our "real" record should actually be the worst in the American League.

The fact is, even with Abreu, LaRoche, Melky, Avisail and Eaton, we're on a pace to score less runs than the horrendous 2013 team.

That takes some doing.

I was going to mention poor base running but the Tampa Bay base running was as bad as ours.

As for Game 2, yes there was some defensive issues, but neither Putnam nor Petricka could complete the three outs. Samardzija had worked his way out a few jams for the previous 7 innings. It was 3 outs and we get to D-Rob and they couldn't get them.

I agree that we aren't benching Beckham, Flowers and Ramirez but we're also not benching La Roche and Sanchez's offense has just disappeared.

Outwith Abreu and Garcia, we have nothing. Boneyfishio sits on his hands most games and when he does come in, he grounds out. Soto doesn't hit much better than Flowers and when Gillaspie does pull a pinch hit home run, rather than stick with the hot bat, we bring in a cold bat.

I'm frustrated because I see three games that we should have won and instead of winning them and sweeping the Rays, we're 0-3 and facing a very hot Pirates team after another frustrating series.

Part of the issue is the lack of flexibilty, we have Beckham and Boneyfishio on contracts without options, most other teams would have rookies with options who they could option down and replace them if they are struggling. If we want to freshen up our line up, we can only option down Sanchez or a pen arm or eat the money for Beckham, Soto, Flowers, Bonafacio or anyone else who is struggling, which means that the guys hitting in Charlotte can get as hot as they want, they know that barring injury, they are going nowhere.

Edited by glangon