Ventura to miss weekend series

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
I see your point but dude, you can't turn a blind-eye to the ridiculous Robin-bashing and FO-bashing that has infiltrated the bloodstream of Soxtalk. It's only because we've stumbled out of the gate and quite a few players (maybe 6 of them) are batting around .230. I think commenting on the knee-jerkers and anxious men posting here is fair game, no? The haughtiness comes from the bashers, who make everyone else out to be idiots if they don't HATE kw, jr, coop and rv. It's ok to poke fun at the nervous nellies a bit, no?

Oh I completely get that. I think the Robin-bashing is wrong and I actually don't pin much if any of the current woes on him. I'm saying that I'm not seeing any of what Dick Allen is saying in this thread. If he was criticising the people celebrating it he'd have a point. He's saying "Soxtalk doesn't want him managing and now Soxtalk wants him managing!". I don't see that.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, this just demonstrates Robin's lack of passion for the job. I have no problem with a parent attending his daughters graduation. However, any manager who really had a strong commitment to the position (and to the team) would minimize the time away. I doubt there is another manger in the league that would miss 3 games for this occasion. Almost all would miss one. Some would miss two. Missing an entire series just shows that our manager would rather have a vacation instead of working. That's a problem.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 07:47 PM)
To me, this just demonstrates Robin's lack of passion for the job. I have no problem with a parent attending his daughters graduation. However, any manager who really had a strong commitment to the position (and to the team) would minimize the time away. I doubt there is another manger in the league that would miss 3 games for this occasion. Almost all would miss one. Some would miss two. Missing an entire series just shows that our manager would rather have a vacation instead of working. That's a problem.

Three games from Friday night to Sunday afternoon is pretty tight, especially coming back from California to St Pete. It's one more game...who gives a s***?

Edited by flavum

No. Just no. What this demonstrates is that he has a family that he cares very much about and he isn't willing to devalue and rush away from a huge accomplishment that he's certainly very proud of his daughter for. The role of MLB manager is the one of the most over-rated positions in all of sports. There is very little conceptual in-game strategy that can't be executed by the next man up.

Good grief its only three days,lol.

According to the CalPoly website, the graduation ceremonies are Saturday and Sunday.

With all the prep of packing, getting to the airport early for check in, a 6+ hour flight and then going through baggage claim, its a full day of travel. Same thing for the return flight. So Robin needs Friday for travel, Saturday and part of Sunday for graduation and then fly back.

Yep, three days sounds about right. I really hope Robin enjoys the time with his family.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
Good grief its only three days,lol.

According to the CalPoly website, the graduation ceremonies are Saturday and Sunday.

With all the prep of packing, getting to the airport early for check in, a 6+ hour flight and then going through baggage claim, its a full day of travel. Same thing for the return flight. So Robin needs Friday for travel, Saturday and part of Sunday for graduation and then fly back.

Yep, three days sounds about right. I really hope Robin enjoys the time with his family.

Well said my friend.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 08:34 PM)
Well said my friend.

:cheers :headbang

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
Its baseball, a manager missing a series doesn't matter much.... I can see if it was any of the other sports where the coach has a much bigger impact.

Seriously, were talking about 3 games out of 162! :lol:

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 11:07 PM)
Not bothered by it, family always comes first.

Absolutely Joshua and id like to think if any of us were in Robin's shoes, wed do the same thing. A parent must be there for his family is special moments like these and if it takes three days then so be it. The team will be waiting for him when he returns.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 10:02 PM)
wow. The whole series? Seriously? Pardon me, but that is f***ing horse s***.

Geez. Is your middle name "Scrooge?" He has daughters. Daughters are precious and special and oft-times emotional about their daddy. Kudos to Robin for saying "f*** baseball" for a weekend. Family matters.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 11:06 PM)
Good. He's trash anyway.

OMG. That's a bad post IMO. He may be a mediocre to C-, D-plus manager, but he's NOT trash.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 11:56 PM)
The entire weekend is excessive.

No it isn't.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 12:19 AM)
Only Soxtalk would complain the manager they complain is managing won't be managing. His daughter goes to college in CA, the Sox are in FL. Typically 2 games are missed but it is not practical he gets back for the Sunday afternoon game.

Exactly. It is not practical at all. Why kill him in terms of travel at this time. He deserves and should be at the two-day graduation.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 01:00 AM)
Mercy. Haha man sometimes I wanna puke when I read some of these hate-filled comments. It seems like genuine hatred. Real hate! Mercy, it's just baseball! ?

Anonymous internet will do that. I don't hate Robin. I just think he's a blah manager and we have a blah front office as well to share blame equally.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 01:47 AM)

Oh please. It says nothing about his passion for the job. Are you serious, Sincity? It's about being a DAD.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 07:36 PM)
Oh I completely get that. I think the Robin-bashing is wrong and I actually don't pin much if any of the current woes on him. I'm saying that I'm not seeing any of what Dick Allen is saying in this thread. If he was criticising the people celebrating it he'd have a point. He's saying "Soxtalk doesn't want him managing and now Soxtalk wants him managing!". I don't see that.

As if on cue, haha, 11 minutes later.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
It's funny how managers are given much more leeway with this type of stuff than players are. It seems like players are lucky to get two days off for the birth of a child.

I have never seen this before.

I really don't care if Ventura misses... it's nice that the Sox organization isn't being facist to its manager.

Just going to be honest this and last year missing games for graduations....

Can someone give me a similar example? I can't think of one.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)

I really don't care if Ventura misses... it's nice that the Sox organization isn't being facist to its manager.

I am not positive, but I think I remember Guillen missing time for a graduation for one of his kids.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)

Cooper missed time earlier this season for I believe the same thing. As far as players, MLB does now have a Paternity Leave policy, which covers 72 hours. But in the grand scheme of things, Robin's #1 job is being a dad, not making out the White Sox line up, and it's pretty likely he would have been back Sunday if it wasn't a coast to coast, west to east, day game. It's nice that the organization understands this as well.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 07:13 AM)
As if on cue, haha, 11 minutes later.

That one was pretty much exactly what I had described earlier:

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 06:25 PM)
And even if they do, I would imagine their complaints would be more along the lines of "this is indicative of my problems with him, i.e. he doesn't care enough" (not that I agree), not "I don't want Ventura managing" "Wait, now I want him managing!".

Here's one man's humble opinion:

Only a lunatic detached from reality would have a problem with a father taking 3 days off of work to fly thousands of miles from one coast of the USA to the other for a big once-in-a-lifetime family event like a daughter's graduation.

Edited by Doc Edwards Shot

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)

As a parent, I couldn't imagine not being their for my child like a professional manager is during the course of the season. This is a huge moment for his daughter and I'd be more pissed if he blew her off in favor of the White Sox. Priorities and Robin thankfully has them in the right place.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
Here's one man's humble opinion:

Only a lunatic detached from reality would have a problem with a father taking 3 days off of work to fly thousands of miles from one coast of the USA to the other for a big once-in-a-lifetime family event like a daughter's graduation.

Fantastic post.

Let's be real, most working class fathers would kill for 3 days off in a row to attend their daughter's graduation halfway across the country. Robin could have easily taken a travel day, a day for his daughter, and been back after 2 days. That he took 3 says something about something IMO.

I agree, be there for your daughter, but 3 days? I mean, come on. With great privilege comes great responsibility. You have one of 30 MLB managing jobs, how about you act like it?

Of course, he has a lifetime job so he could probably take a week off and nobody would mind.

Oh well, I can't stand his managing Parent will probably do a better job.