Ventura to miss weekend series

southsider2k5

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be real. Most working class fathers wouldn't have their vacation time questioned by a message board. In fact no one would care at all if 99.9999% of people took 3 days off for this.

People can question Ventura for his moves or the state of this team, that doesn't bother me, but for being as his daughters graduation? Ugh. It smells of meatballs.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 06:40 PM)
Let's be real, most working class fathers would kill for 3 days off in a row to attend their daughter's graduation halfway across the country. Robin could have easily taken a travel day, a day for his daughter, and been back after 2 days. That he took 3 says something about something IMO.

I agree, be there for your daughter, but 3 days? I mean, come on. With great privilege comes great responsibility. You have one of 30 MLB managing jobs, how about you act like it?

Of course, he has a lifetime job so he could probably take a week off and nobody would mind.

Oh well, I can't stand his managing Parent will probably do a better job.

You're overreacting. Breathe, chill out and calm down

Again, most fathers are not public faces of multi billion dollar operations.

Here, go on one of your google hunts Southsider, what other managers have taken two, three day breaks during their tenure for graduations. Good luck, don't think you'll find many.

Forget RV, he never even wanted the job in the first place I'm not going to cut him any slack. He's getting paid damn well he can take my abuse on a message board.

EDIT: only thing I could find was Bud Black, who yea, didn't miss 3 days:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=2010...b&fext=.jsp

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 07:37 PM)

Here, go on one of your google hunts Southsider, what other managers have taken two, three day breaks during their tenure for graduations. Good luck, don't think you'll find many.

Forget RV, he never even wanted the job in the first place I'm not going to cut him any slack. He's getting paid damn well he can take my abuse on a message board.

Wow. There are no words for a response to this post.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 08:04 PM)
Wow. There are no words for a response to this post.

Yep, those are the kind of posts that embarrass a fan base. Seriously, can we at least pretend that we are in the 21st century, and things like being a father are important? Who cares what his job is. Can Bill Gates not take a few days off because he is the face of Microsoft? Seriously if it bothers a person bad enough where they have to personally attack a person, your priorities are seriously out of whack. With all of the truly bad people in sports who really should be called out, this is the opposite of that. This is a father showing his daughter that she is the most important thing in the world to him, not some game. Bravo. If more men were like this with their daughers and sons, this world would be a much better place.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 09:34 PM)
Yep, those are the kind of posts that embarrass a fan base. Seriously, can we at least pretend that we are in the 21st century, and things like being a father are important? Who cares what his job is. Can Bill Gates not take a few days off because he is the face of Microsoft? Seriously if it bothers a person bad enough where they have to personally attack a person, your priorities are seriously out of whack. With all of the truly bad people in sports who really should be called out, this is the opposite of that. This is a father showing his daughter that she is the most important thing in the world to him, not some game. Bravo. If more men were like this with their daughers and sons, this world would be a much better place.

Bill Gates has retired from Microsoft several times, Robin should try that.

In all seriousness, I should add that I have no issue with him taking a few personal days off.

And just for arguments sake, I'll offer a one up.

The great Joe Maddon missed two games to go to his girlfriends graduation.

http://m.rays.mlb.com/news/article/1456373/

Guillen missed a day going from Tampa to Miami for Ozney's graduation

http://www.grobbernet.com/2010/05/

Bobby Cox missed for his daughters graduation

http://onlineathens.com/stories/060500/spo...ml#.VXo8hEaLVgs

Buck Showalter.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/news/article/7545...ers-graduations

Terry Francona

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...ona_will_m.html

I think the situation isn't comparable to basketball, hockey or football, where those individual games have even more importance...and the head coaches/managers, etc., have more of a direct impact on winning or losing compared to those other sports.

3/162 isn't that much. When it's 1/16 or 2/16th's or whatever, that can have more of an impact on a season...that's the price of being a coach in one of those sports, of course (and also why because of fewer games, you would only have to miss 1 or no more than 2 basketball/hockey games due to scheduling).

I remember the Iowa fanbase questioning Fran McCaffrey for coaching when/after his son was diagnosed with cancer, and some wishing he would stop coaching because the team was playing so poorly (at the end of 2014) they actually felt his coaching through that situation perhaps made things worse for the team and created a distraction (rather than a rallying point). No matter what decision you make, though, you can guarantee the fan base will not be 100% pleased. Many others felt with him being one of the five highest paid "workers" in the entire state he had a responsibility never to miss a game (and also because their tax dollars were indirectly helping to pay his salary as a state employee, which is different from the coach of a pro team).

The thing is...baseball is a sport/game, and you can never get those moments back with your children once they're gone. No matter how highly-paid you are as an executive (or MLB manager), those who never make time for their children or fail to make them a priority risk losing them in the end. Surely his kids would have understood, but they always would have felt they came second to a sport. It's not like he's working for the Behavioral Analysis Unit of the FBI where there's a serial killer running lose because he is off spending time with his kids instead. Nobody's life is on the line.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
And just for arguments sake, I'll offer a one up.

The great Joe Maddon missed two games to go to his girlfriends graduation.

http://m.rays.mlb.com/news/article/1456373/

Guillen missed a day going from Tampa to Miami for Ozney's graduation

http://www.grobbernet.com/2010/05/

Bobby Cox missed for his daughters graduation

http://onlineathens.com/stories/060500/spo...ml#.VXo8hEaLVgs

Buck Showalter.

http://m.orioles.mlb.com/news/article/7545...ers-graduations

Terry Francona

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...ona_will_m.html

Yeah, but they waited until travel conditions were better. Robin should have told his daughter to wait until they were on the west coast.

The hatred be spewed is disgusting.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 08:06 PM)
Yeah, but they waited until travel conditions were better. Robin should have told his daughter to wait until they were on the west coast.

Hatred and frustration often get confused or mixed up here.

I don't know anyone who hates Robin Ventura, the person. Some, even many, feel he wasn't ready to be a big league manager...that he was in over his head, that the franchise was using him as as "buffer" to protect that position from undue criticism because they knew they were headed into a rebuilding period, whatever.

The only problem I have with Ventura is not having the belief he's grown much as a manager (at least as much as we could reasonably have expected, and there's no way for me to prove this "feeling" or debate it)...and that it's not likely he is the right choice to lead this organization to the next level (the same arguments were made about Torborg and Manuel, for example).

That said, I respect him for sticking to his guns and probably this whole situation was discussed and agreed upon when he took the job...these predictable moments with his family events/milestones that weren't going to be skipped or missed.

If you want to be ANGRY with anyone, you can be mad at the White Sox front office/KW/JR for "allowing" this to happen...but, since they already value "loyalty" over seemingly everything else, I don't think you'll get an apology from any of them for this decision. They can run their organization however they want as long as they sign the paychecks.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)
Cooper missed time earlier this season for I believe the same thing. As far as players, MLB does now have a Paternity Leave policy, which covers 72 hours. But in the grand scheme of things, Robin's #1 job is being a dad, not making out the White Sox line up, and it's pretty likely he would have been back Sunday if it wasn't a coast to coast, west to east, day game. It's nice that the organization understands this as well.

Exactly. Kudos to Sox management. It'd be ridiculous for him to come back cross country for the last game of the series. His daughter will remember this forever. The Sox? Cmon. Like they need Robin Ventura in the dugout for these three games? They don't need him; his daughter does.

QUOTE (Doc Edwards Shot @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 10:29 PM)
Here's one man's humble opinion:

Only a lunatic detached from reality would have a problem with a father taking 3 days off of work to fly thousands of miles from one coast of the USA to the other for a big once-in-a-lifetime family event like a daughter's graduation.

Exactly! How can anybody have a problem with this?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 12:40 AM)
Let's be real, most working class fathers would kill for 3 days off in a row to attend their daughter's graduation halfway across the country. Robin could have easily taken a travel day, a day for his daughter, and been back after 2 days. That he took 3 says something about something IMO.

I agree, be there for your daughter, but 3 days? I mean, come on. With great privilege comes great responsibility. You have one of 30 MLB managing jobs, how about you act like it?

Of course, he has a lifetime job so he could probably take a week off and nobody would mind.

Oh well, I can't stand his managing Parent will probably do a better job.

Chitown. You really are grumpy regarding this issue. Robin rocks in wanting to be with daughter for 3 days.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 01:37 AM)

You are getting worked up over nothing. Robin is a hero in this situation; so are the White Sox for not making him come back for a meaningless Game 3 of the series.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 02:34 AM)

This does deserve national press. Some fans mad at manager for taking 3 games off to be with daughter. It's not like Robin is some great baseball mind who will win the games with his great managerial moves. They should let a different coach manage the three games. That'd be fun and a great competition in staff to see who wins, who loses.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)

Just a tad over dramatic Imho.

I for sure don't hate Robin... he is probably one of my favorite White Sox personalities... Robin is hilarious.

Nor to I really give much a crap if he missed 3 games.

Is he a major league manager? That is one I'm not sure about.

My own father didn't go to my graduation from college because he was playing golf...

Oh wait I didn't go either was on Sunday... not missing NFL games!

Can't blame someone for wanting 3 days off from a pressure job... but be expecting some grumbles.. I'm sure Robin can handle it.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 04:41 AM)
My own father didn't go to my graduation from college because he was playing golf...

Oh wait I didn't go either was on Sunday... not missing NFL games!

Can't blame someone for wanting 3 days off from a pressure job... but be expecting some grumbles.. I'm sure Robin can handle it.

Anybody who has a daughter will not be grumbling.

I don't hate RV at all. In fact, if I met RV I would shake his hand vigorously and say "you were one of my heroes and my pops loved you too; way to work back from that horrific injury you had".

That said, dude is in the .0001% of dads that can take 3 days off work for graduation and nobody gives a f***. Lot of working class dads out there that would love to do the same.

LOL. Me too. SoxTalk did police itself well though. The meatballs were proven wrong emphatically. Post by post.

You don't know jack s*** about anyone here bro. Presume what you're gonna presume, but don't get it twisted many of us raising a ruckus here are about as far from "meatball" as it gets. Go ahead with your one liners tho, they go over great with the meatball crowd. You ever seen your pops cry because he has to work and he can't be with you? I certainly have. RV should wake up every day thanking his creator he gets to take 3 days off for his daughter's graduation.

I've seen the tears in my working class father's eye when he had to go away from his family. You want to tell me, and others, about what it means to be working class and sacrifice everthing and anything for your kids? Get real man.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

The working class man comment was ridiculous. I bet nearly every working class man already has Saturday & Sunday off...and he would probably have no problem getting the friday off too because, ya know, for some reason companies give people PTO days that they must take or else lose them. Hell, he's flying to California! I bet the working class man would lump a few more of his PTO days here- Thursday thru Tuesday? Incredible you would use that as a crutch man. Jusy say you're wrong, you're sorry & we'll all instantly forgive you ?

ok, i want to say, i have been as critical on RV and the FO as anyone.

but come on, in my honest opinion, this complaining is just about RV bashing as it could get. i feel as he is in a position, with some of the fans on soxtalk, that it is damn if you do, damn if you don't.

everyone has a right for an opinion. this is mine.

Lol. I fail to see a legitimate comparison between a working class father that works 9-5 five days a week ( granted some work longer hours) and a baseball father that works all hours of the day 5-7 days a week from February into October plus what they do in the off season.

Also. The working class father has the luxury of seeing his family every day and is not separated by hundreds/thousands of miles.

Apple meet orange, orange say hello to apple.

I'm really curious as to how many pages this thread will be by Sunday evening. ;)