Ventura to miss weekend series

southsider2k5

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
David Kaplan @thekapman

Sox GM Rick Hahn on @KapandHaugh: Robin missing TB series is on me. I told him take weekend to be there for family. That was my decision."

jon greenberg added,

jon greenberg ‏@jon_greenberg 20m20 minutes ago

Does anyone really care about this?

Agreed 1000%. I can't believe this is even a big deal to some people. I am not a fan of Robin but I have no problem with him taking 3 days off to travel cross country to see a once in a lifetime event for his daughter.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 12:24 PM)
Agreed 1000%. I can't believe this is even a big deal to some people. I am not a fan of Robin but I have no problem with him taking 3 days off to travel cross country to see a once in a lifetime event for his daughter.

Interesting thing about that tweet is Robin's words at the end of that..

"This was my decision."

I never thought for one second it wasn't but that statement makes me thing he is wondering if people think management told him to take a break? or...

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
Can I take next Friday-Sunday off for a wedding? Friday is needed to make the six hour drive, though probably longer post knee-surgery, Saturday is the wedding and Sunday is the drive back?

Is that acceptable?

We need at least 15 days notice. Rejected.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)

"This was my decision."

I never thought for one second it wasn't but that statement makes me thing he is wondering if people think management told him to take a break? or...

that was Hahn speaking

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 12:46 PM)

"This was my decision."

Good news for you, I have a handy jump to conclusions matt you can borrow.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
David Kaplan @thekapman

Sox GM Rick Hahn on @KapandHaugh: Robin missing TB series is on me. I told him take weekend to be there for family. That was my decision."

It's astonishing that he would even have to say anything.

Basically, he said Robin offered to fly overnight from LA (or whatever) to St. Pete, manage Sunday, and fly to Pittsburgh with the team.

Rick told him that was too much, enjoy his time off, and join the team on Monday in Pittsburgh refreshed.

Pretty simple decision.

Moving on...

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 01:18 PM)
Basically, he said Robin offered to fly overnight from LA (or whatever) to St. Pete, manage Sunday, and fly to Pittsburgh with the team.

Rick told him that was too much, enjoy his time off, and join the team on Monday in Pittsburgh refreshed.

Pretty simple decision.

Moving on...

Aww.

[fire on torch blows out]

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 01:10 PM)
I was gone 3 days for my sister's graduation, showing my lack of commitment for my company.

I went on a vacation and got Montezuma's revenge the last day. I called in sick the day I was supposed to return to the clinic. It was against company policy to take a sick day either before or after a vacation day so I was docked a day's pay.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)

Pretty simple decision.

Moving on...

Damn. This shows true work ethic. Robin offered to fly back to manage on Sunday. Kudos to Hahn for telling him to take the whole weekend off.

I wish the people on here would reconsider their position on Robin missing these games. The guy normally works more than 70 hours a week easy during baseball season and gets paid for 40 hours. The guy is going to his daughter's graduation and volunteered to come back for Sunday's game. If he came back Sunday he would be a complete idiot. The Scrooges should just admit they were wrong and wish Robin well.

Finally, I repeat: Robin managing the games means nothing. A trained chimp could manage a baseball game. He's an average to rotten manager to begin with. Cut the guy some slack. Admit you were wrong, please!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
Damn. This shows true work ethic. Robin offered to fly back to manage on Sunday. Kudos to Hahn for telling him to take the whole weekend off.

I wish the people on here would reconsider their position on Robin missing these games. The guy normally works more than 70 hours a week easy during baseball season and gets paid for 40 hours. The guy is going to his daughter's graduation and volunteered to come back for Sunday's game. If he came back Sunday he would be a complete idiot. The Scrooges should just admit they were wrong and wish Robin well.

Finally, I repeat: Robin managing the games means nothing. A trained chimp could manage a baseball game. He's an average to rotten manager to begin with. Cut the guy some slack. Admit you were wrong, please!

Nobody who has even a minor league contract expects to work less than 80-100 hours a week without overtime.

If you treat baseball as a 9 to 5 job as a player or front office person, you won't last long. Of ocourse, the off season is more relaxed but still not typical, either.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)

Pretty simple decision.

Moving on...

excellent find.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 02:46 AM)
I didn't attend my own college graduation... because I just started a new job and didn't want to miss.

I didn't want to stick around my out of state school an extra week to attend graduation, but figured it was something I should do or I'd regret it forever. I stayed and was bored that week waiting for graduation and indeed thought graduation was very boring. I did convince my parents not to make the 500 mile drive and they reluctantly agreed to not come. I probably should have let them come because I'm now convinced graduations are more for parents than the graduates. And mine paid for education so it would have been a way for me to thank them. At any rate, it was very boring. Robin will be bored but proud to support his daughter. Nice of the Sox to let him skip three meaningless games to honor his flesh and blood.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 11:13 PM)
I didn't want to stick around my out of state school an extra week to attend graduation, but figured it was something I should do or I'd regret it forever. I stayed and was bored that week waiting for graduation and indeed thought graduation was very boring. I did convince my parents not to make the 500 mile drive and they reluctantly agreed to not come. I probably should have let them come because I'm now convinced graduations are more for parents than the graduates. And mine paid for education so it would have been a way for me to thank them. At any rate, it was very boring. Robin will be bored but proud to support his daughter. Nice of the Sox to let him skip three meaningless games to honor his flesh and blood.

I don't think he will be bored. He will be forced to fight his way through a gauntlet of White Sox fans booing him for not staying with the team. My guess is he will head out to a bar to watch all 3 games between graduation events and try and manage the team via his cell phone. ......................