Ventura to miss weekend series

southsider2k5

QUOTE (glangon @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 07:17 AM)
I was going to mention poor base running but the Tampa Bay base running was as bad as ours.

As for Game 2, yes there was some defensive issues, but neither Putnam nor Petricka could complete the three outs. Samardzija had worked his way out a few jams for the previous 7 innings. It was 3 outs and we get to D-Rob and they couldn't get them.

I agree that we aren't benching Beckham, Flowers and Ramirez but we're also not benching La Roche and Sanchez's offense has just disappeared.

Outwith Abreu and Garcia, we have nothing. Boneyfishio sits on his hands most games and when he does come in, he grounds out. Soto doesn't hit much better than Flowers and when Gillaspie does pull a pinch hit home run, rather than stick with the hot bat, we bring in a cold bat.

I'm frustrated because I see three games that we should have won and instead of winning them and sweeping the Rays, we're 0-3 and facing a very hot Pirates team after another frustrating series.

Part of the issue is the lack of flexibilty, we have Beckham and Boneyfishio on contracts without options, most other teams would have rookies with options who they could option down and replace them if they are struggling. If we want to freshen up our line up, we can only option down Sanchez or a pen arm or eat the money for Beckham, Soto, Flowers, Bonafacio or anyone else who is struggling, which means that the guys hitting in Charlotte can get as hot as they want, they know that barring injury, they are going nowhere.

In reality, it doesn't matter what anyone in Charlotte does, unless they're serious about Kevan Smith (which is doubtful, simply because the idea of a rookie catcher with his background leading a staff to the pennant is pretty implausible, this year or next). Thompson is currently being projected as a 4th/5th outfielder.

That only leaves you Leury Garcia, Micah Johnson and Saladino they'll look at when/if they trade Ramirez.

What they REALLY need to do is move on from Ramirez (it's already one year too late), DFA Bonifacio (which they won't do, they'll desperately attempt to get something back for him in July or August)...and give up on Beckham. Conor can go back to playing most of the time at 3B until they find an everyday replacement at that position and SS with projected trades of Samardzija, Ramirez, maybe Quintana and Putnam/Petricka/Duke (if anyone will bite).

I honestly think Beckham's better off in another organization where he doesn't carry the weight of the 2008 draft spot/Golden Spikes Award and 2009 rookie season around with him. Too much water under the bridge with believing in him, only to end up disappointed over and over and over again (yet we never learn our lesson).

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bud-black-pay...-223152731.html

Article on the Black firing.

Lots of parallels with the SD and White Sox offseasons. The main difference being Preller wants to bring in his own manager and that JR is loyal to a fault. But similar expectations and disappointments...the Padres are in much better position (standings-wise) than the White Sox as of today's date (1 game under .500).

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
In reality, it doesn't matter what anyone in Charlotte does, unless they're serious about Kevan Smith (which is doubtful, simply because the idea of a rookie catcher with his background leading a staff to the pennant is pretty implausible, this year or next). Thompson is currently being projected as a 4th/5th outfielder.

That only leaves you Leury Garcia, Micah Johnson and Saladino they'll look at when/if they trade Ramirez.

I honestly think Beckham's better off in another organization where he doesn't carry the weight of the 2008 draft spot/Golden Spikes Award and 2009 rookie season around with him. Too much water under the bridge with believing in him, only to end up disappointed over and over and over again (yet we never learn our lesson).

It shouldn't matter what anyone in Charlotte does but other organisations seem to benefit from having options and some decent AAA players. If you look at the other franchises out there such as the Scrubs, the Mets, the Red Sox and the Yankees. Every one of these teams has rookies with options to go with their veterans, they have a balance and a mix. We don't, so when things go bad and you need to make a move to bring up a guy to freshen up the line up, we can't do it without eating money or sticking someone on the DL.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 15, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
What they REALLY need to do is move on from Ramirez (it's already one year too late), DFA Bonifacio (which they won't do, they'll desperately attempt to get something back for him in July or August)...and give up on Beckham. Conor can go back to playing most of the time at 3B until they find an everyday replacement at that position and SS with projected trades of Samardzija, Ramirez, maybe Quintana and Putnam/Petricka/Duke (if anyone will bite)

This, I agree with this. Ramirez should have went last year when his stock was high, we should never have signed Boneyfishio and although it was nice to see Beckham hit well for a few weeks, it looks like he's back to his old ways. I think once this losing streak is out of the way (and I reckon it could go beyond the Rangers series) and we are over 10 games out of the lead, then I think you'll see Shark, Ramirez and anyone else we think we can get value for traded (especially bullpen pieces)

You also neglected to mention that we should have DFA'd Noesi who has been much poorer than Carroll in the long-relief role.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 01:24 AM)
It shouldn't matter what anyone in Charlotte does but other organisations seem to benefit from having options and some decent AAA players. If you look at the other franchises out there such as the Scrubs, the Mets, the Red Sox and the Yankees. Every one of these teams has rookies with options to go with their veterans, they have a balance and a mix. We don't, so when things go bad and you need to make a move to bring up a guy to freshen up the line up, we can't do it without eating money or sticking someone on the DL.

This, I agree with this. Ramirez should have went last year when his stock was high, we should never have signed Boneyfishio and although it was nice to see Beckham hit well for a few weeks, it looks like he's back to his old ways. I think once this losing streak is out of the way (and I reckon it could go beyond the Rangers series) and we are over 10 games out of the lead, then I think you'll see Shark, Ramirez and anyone else we think we can get value for traded (especially bullpen pieces)

You also neglected to mention that we should have DFA'd Noesi who has been much poorer than Carroll in the long-relief role.

As for Noesi/Carroll, I guess it's not a priority for the organization at the moment. It will be when they reach Rodon's innings limit, but right now he's only at 54.3 IP and has at least 100 innings more to go this season. In fact, if he averaged only five innings per start, he could pitch until the very end of the season, theoretically, but he's probably going to be limited to 15-16, no more than 17, starts the remainder of the year (because even though his total innings pitched aren't SO high, his pitch counts per inning are, to say it in the most positive way, elevated.)

That would give him 24-26 starts, which is about in the area he needs to comfortably get to 190-215 innings next year.

Thinking about the 2016 and beyond teams, though....they might want to give Beck or Erik Johnson some experience in that "Carroll role" and see how well they respond over a 1-2 month period.

Edited by caulfield12

It was time.

Whether the Padres' decision to fire Bud Black was the right move remains to be seen, but it was the necessary move on Monday.

It is unclear if a managerial shakeup will cause these underachievers to wake up — but it was clear that the front office had to try something.

The influence a skipper has on his ball club is one of the more nebulous and debated topics in sports. Some say an MLB manager can mold a mediocre team into a title contender, while others deem him no more valuable than the bat boy.

What cannot be disputed, however, is that the Padres' last playoff appearance came one month before Black was hired in 2006.

So what do you do to try and end a drought?

You make a mid-season splash.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/jun/15...e-to-go-padres/

The second page of the article is particularly relevant. If you see Ventura as "Mr. Nice Guy," then Bud Black is that, but even more so.

The Padres have two examples of "choke jobs" under Black, the White Sox have 2012 down the stretch. Both teams in 2015 entered the season with high expectations and both have been among the most disappointing teams in baseball (you can argue between the Mariners, Red Sox, White Sox and Padres for MOST disappointing and not be incorrect with any of those four choices.)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
As for Noesi/Carroll, I guess it's not a priority for the organization at the moment. It will be when they reach Rodon's innings limit, but right now he's only at 54.3 IP and has at least 100 innings more to go this season. In fact, if he averaged only five innings per start, he could pitch until the very end of the season, theoretically, but he's probably going to be limited to 15-16, no more than 17, starts the remainder of the year (because even though his total innings pitched aren't SO high, his pitch counts per inning are, to say it in the most positive way, elevated.)

That would give him 24-26 starts, which is about in the area he needs to comfortably get to 190-215 innings next year.

Thinking about the 2016 and beyond teams, though....they might want to give Beck or Erik Johnson some experience in that "Carroll role" and see how well they respond over a 1-2 month period.

It's probably not a priority for them at the moment but Noesi is a train wreck and Carroll wasn't, Carroll has seemed to settle well into the long relief role and done well there, Carroll on a regular basis seemed to steady the ship without giving up a lot of runs and give our offense a chance of getting back into the game (which they didn't take) whereas Noesi seemed to ship runs everytime he enters a game.

Rodon's innings will probably be picked up by the likes of Beck and Johnson in the last month. I think they see the likes of Beck and Johnson more as starters than long relievers and when Shark is traded and Rodon runs out of innings, these guys and possibly Montas and Danish could come more to the fore.

With the trading of relievers, all of them bar Duke and Robertson are probably on the block with Hahn knowing that he has Jones and Crain ready to come back near the All-Star break and Albers rehabbing soon with Lindstrom still in AAA.

I'm thinking that 2016 could see a very settled pen with Crain, Jones, Carroll, Duke, Jennings, Albers and Robertson with the option of Lindstrom, Petricka, Putnam and Webb depending on who gets traded / released.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 04:05 AM)
It's probably not a priority for them at the moment but Noesi is a train wreck and Carroll wasn't, Carroll has seemed to settle well into the long relief role and done well there, Carroll on a regular basis seemed to steady the ship without giving up a lot of runs and give our offense a chance of getting back into the game (which they didn't take) whereas Noesi seemed to ship runs everytime he enters a game.

Rodon's innings will probably be picked up by the likes of Beck and Johnson in the last month. I think they see the likes of Beck and Johnson more as starters than long relievers and when Shark is traded and Rodon runs out of innings, these guys and possibly Montas and Danish could come more to the fore.

With the trading of relievers, all of them bar Duke and Robertson are probably on the block with Hahn knowing that he has Jones and Crain ready to come back near the All-Star break and Albers rehabbing soon with Lindstrom still in AAA.

I'm thinking that 2016 could see a very settled pen with Crain, Jones, Carroll, Duke, Jennings, Albers and Robertson with the option of Lindstrom, Petricka, Putnam and Webb depending on who gets traded / released.

To that list, you can add add Montas, Danish, Sanburn, Blake Hickman (the White Sox plan to convert him into a reliever), Junior Guerra, etc.

If the future rotation is expected to be Sale, Rodon, Fulmer and Danks (2016), that only leaves room for one of Danish/Montas/Beck/Johnson in a starting role. Or maybe two of them, depending on what assets they can get back for Samardzija OR if they trade Quintana and/or acquire a 3/4 guy to hold down the fort while they're waiting on Fulmer's arrival in the rotation.

My own belief is that the bullpen is one of the areas they will try to "sell high" on now with either Petricka, Putnam or Duke if they can get the right pieces back...and, if not, they just end up holding them, as will likely happen with Alexei Ramirez and Jose Quintana.

I'm also not 100% convinced we will see Lindstrom or Albers again in a White Sox uniform.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 02:24 AM)

It will happen soon enough as guys like Albers and Jones return.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)

any number of players on the sox roster will not provide the coverage that Ramirez does at ss, even this this time. ref to the offense, if most are waiting for the other players, then they should wait for his offense to show up.

QUOTE (glangon @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 08:24 AM)

btw, that is not the way to FO works, the took Noesi as a reclaimation project and found some success. now the sox didn't think to invest and continue the rebuild b/c of what they thought Noesi will bring in.

it was unlikely that the FO didn't think he would regress back to his old self.

so what did they, the FO do, went out and reach for Penny and Drabek. hoping to replciate the same success.

no matter how you paint it, mismanagement without a clue.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
btw, that is not the way to FO works, the took Noesi as a reclaimation project and found some success. now the sox didn't think to invest and continue the rebuild b/c of what they thought Noesi will bring in.

so what did they, the FO do, went out and reach for Penny and Drabek. hoping to replciate the same success.

Every single team in baseball takes on reclaimation projects of all shapes and sizes.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)

He's at negative fWAR now with the Sox and if you prefer ERA+ he's at 72. They haven't found any success with him. Cooper's pixie dust is long gone, what was their last successful reclamation project, like seriously successful not just a halfway decent start now and there...

I figured out of Noesi, Rodon and Danks they might squeeze out 500 innings around an ERA+ of 90. The turned out to be wildly optimistic.

This team isn't firing on a single cylinder. Time to clean house.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
He's at negative fWAR now with the Sox and if you prefer ERA+ he's at 72. They haven't found any success with him. Cooper's pixie dust is long gone, what was their last successful reclamation project, like seriously successful not just a halfway decent start now and there...

I figured out of Noesi, Rodon and Danks they might squeeze out 500 innings around an ERA+ of 90. The turned out to be wildly optimistic.

Phil Humber.

Jose Quintana.

Zach Putnam.

Sergio Santos.

Hector Santiago (if you consider where he was originally drafted)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 06:37 PM)
Every single team in baseball takes on reclaimation projects of all shapes and sizes.

excellent point. but i bet they are not counting on them to perform and to be used right away, as if it was foregone conclusion that it was going to work.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 06:39 PM)

i was referring the the success he found last yr. can i also asked, b/c i have no clue on the advance mettic, the break down on the 1 half compared to the second half of last yr.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 12:48 PM)
excellent point. but i bet they are not counting on them to perform and to be used right away, as if it was foregone conclusion that it was going to work.

Many do exactly that. Why do you think a guy like Grady Sizemore is still hanging around baseball.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)

Other than the Dodgers....oops, you have guys like Callaspo, Grandal, Justin Turner, Brett Anderson....basically, every team in baseball has 3-5 guys (or more) who fit into this category.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 07:02 PM)
Barry Zito got an invite to spring training for god's sake.

and for god sake, he didn't take the invite. nor did the sox fixed the starting rotation and on top of that, the rotation needed a rookie to come in, who is not yet ready, and i mean fully ready. pls remember, he was still an unknown factor coming into this season.

the bottom line, for god sake

the FO is playing roulette and betting on the 0 and double 00.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 16, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
and for god sake, he didn't take the invite. nor did the sox fixed the starting rotation and on top of that, the rotation needed a rookie to come in, who is not yet ready, and i mean fully ready. pls remember, he was still an unknown factor coming into this season.

the bottom line, for god sake

the FO is playing roulette and betting on the 0 and double 00.

They fixed the starting rotation just fine. Noesi was demoted and they called up some guy named Rodon. And trust me when I saw there were tons of awful starting pitchers invited to camps and installed into rotations. Jason Marquis lasted longer in the rotation for Cincy then Hector Noesi did for the White Sox.

"It's not my place to tell what he's doing or how well he's doing or what position he's in," Eaton said. "That is nothing pertained to me. I go out and do my job, it doesn't matter who's managing it."