Alex Guerrero

Dunt

Latest post on MLBTR says the Mets might be a good matchup for the a potential Guerrero trade. I would be curious to see if he's really on the trade block and if the Sox could swing something for him. He would be an excellent bat to have at third.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Latest post on MLBTR says the Mets might be a good matchup for the a potential Guerrero trade. I would be curious to see if he's really on the trade block and if the Sox could swing something for him. He would be an excellent bat to have at third.

I think he's worth anyone in the system not named Anderson, Montas or Fulmer.

Also depends on the financials....how much of that contract the Dodgers are willing to offset.

Wouldn't imagine they'd want to help out a fellow National League competitor and possibly see him again in the playoffs...would prefer to send him to the AL undoubtedly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
I think he's worth anyone in the system not named Anderson, Montas or Fulmer.

Also depends on the financials....how much of that contract the Dodgers are willing to offset.

Wouldn't imagine they'd want to help out a fellow National League competitor and possibly see him again in the playoffs...would prefer to send him to the AL undoubtedly.

Guererro's contract is relatively cheap. He's owed the balance of his 2015 6.5M salary and will make 7.5M in each of the 2016/17 seasons. That followed by three arbitration years. I would take on that salary no problem.

My hangup would be Guerrero only playing 9 games at third but he has no errors so far,lol.

Any idea what kind of shape the dodger rotation is in? Are they looking for starters?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 07:48 PM)
Guererro's contract is relatively cheap. He's owed the balance of his 2015 6.5M salary and will make 7.5M in each of the 2016/17 seasons. That followed by three arbitration years. I would take on that salary no problem.

My hangup would be Guerrero only playing 9 games at third but he has no errors so far,lol.

Any idea what kind of shape the dodger rotation is in? Are they looking for starters?

Lost both Ryu and McCarthy for the season

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 09:35 PM)
I wonder what type of impact playing with Alexei and Abreu would have on Guerrero, it might help focus him and keep his head in the game. I wouldn't want to give up too much for him since the Dodgers have basically excommunicated him, maybe Chris Beck and James Dykstra?

Alexei isn't exactly playing well enough that you'd think he's guaranteed to have his option picked up and be back next year

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 08:09 PM)
Lost both Ryu and McCarthy for the season

I knew about McCarthy but missed Ryu somehow so thanks for the heads up.

Some kind of a Guerrero for Samardzija swap could be a possibility if the Sox are out of it when the deadline comes around. Samardzija would benefit from pitching in those big NLW ballparks. A rental could be what the Dodgers prefer given the contracts of the pitchers they already have. There's potential for a good fit.

For now, I'm content to wait and see how this team plays. The Sox have a month and a half to get back into it before the deadline.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
I wonder what type of impact playing with Alexei and Abreu would have on Guerrero, it might help focus him and keep his head in the game. I wouldn't want to give up too much for him since the Dodgers have basically excommunicated him, maybe Chris Beck and James Dykstra?

What? He's started 30 of their 59 games this season, and pinch-hit in a further 16.

He's also got a wRC+ of 154, making him a top 20 in the league hitter. We're not getting him for two guys who can't even strike guys out in the minors.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 06:47 PM)
What? He's started 30 of their 59 games this season, and pinch-hit in a further 16.

He's also got a wRC+ of 154, making him a top 20 in the league hitter. We're not getting him for two guys who can't even strike guys out in the minors.

Honestly I haven't looked at his stats recently, I'm surprised he's been doing this well. I do know that locally in L.A. a lot of people think he's a headcase and I get the feeling from local media that they're tolerating it due to his play. Having looked at his stats, I agree Beck+ won't get it done but I wouldn't be willing to give up anything higher than Trey or Hawkins for him since he's going to come with baggage.

Edited by Bruce_Blixton

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 09:35 PM)
Not much of a track record to judge him on. He's shown a lot of power, but his OBP is pretty poor. Definitely one of those swing at everything types.

How's his defense? When I see 3b/OF I wonder.

I actually wouldn't go for him as he does one thing really, extremely well (hit for power) and everything else poorly. It still makes him well above average offensively but players that do one thing really well tend to get overrated ahead of guys who do everything above average, even though the latter guys are usually more effective as a sum.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 03:24 AM)
I actually wouldn't go for him as he does one thing really, extremely well (hit for power) and everything else poorly. It still makes him well above average offensively but players that do one thing really well tend to get overrated ahead of guys who do everything above average, even though the latter guys are usually more effective as a sum.

you may be right, but when a team needs help.... can't argue when it is available. but that price, i really need to think about it, if it ever gets there.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 10:24 PM)

If that guy is out there, I'm sure they'll inquire. I'm just looking at the possibilities right now.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 05:35 AM)
I'm pretty sure that Guerrero has a clause in his contract that allows him to become a free agent at the end of the year if he's traded. Makes him MUCH less valuable to whoever gets him.

to me,

a. give it a try and esp see if there is indeed a clause in it.

b. i would, and i usually hate this kind of a pat on the back, leak it to the rumors page. this is kind of a show the fans the org hasn't given up.

c. better yet announce it in a kind of interview the org been having with the media every few weeks.

i still suspect the majority of the fans are still holding out hope of a turn around.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 01:54 AM)
to me,

a. give it a try and esp see if there is indeed a clause in it.

b. i would, and i usually hate this kind of a pat on the back, leak it to the rumors page. this is kind of a show the fans the org hasn't given up.

c. better yet announce it in a kind of interview the org been having with the media every few weeks.

i still suspect the majority of the fans are still holding out hope of a turn around.

Isn't it possible he could waive that clause to help a trade happen? That way he can get more playing time and go to a team with other Cuban born players.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 11, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
Isn't it possible he could waive that clause to help a trade happen? That way he can get more playing time and go to a team with other Cuban born players.

MLBPA discourages that sort of thing.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)

That's all on Don Mattingly not playing his best players

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 10, 2015 -> 11:35 PM)
I'm pretty sure that Guerrero has a clause in his contract that allows him to become a free agent at the end of the year if he's traded. Makes him MUCH less valuable to whoever gets him.

This is correct.