My view on managers in general- RV in particular

gosox41

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
So you like being a loser!!!!! I am assuming you did not play any competitive sports. I doubt any players are happy playing on this team at this point.

Nice Troll post... and way to leave out most of the context of what I said.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
So you like being a loser!!!!! I am assuming you did not play any competitive sports. I doubt any players are happy playing on this team at this point.

I'm assuming you never played professional sports. It's about the paycheck. By your theory Robertson would have signed with someone else. I think players are happy here. There's no accountability for threat of replacement because it applies to everyone in the whole organization.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 06:55 PM)
I'm assuming you never played professional sports. It's about the paycheck. By your theory Robertson would have signed with someone else. I think players are happy here. There's no accountability for threat of replacement because it applies to everyone in the whole organization.

So according to your theory the Bulls players are just as happy as the Blackhawks??? After all it is just about the paycheck. Somehow I don't think so. Eaton wasn't happy in spite of his paycheck.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 06:04 PM)
So according to your theory the Bulls players are just as happy as the Blackhawks??? After all it is just about the paycheck. Somehow I don't think so. Eaton wasn't happy in spite of his paycheck.

Most players don't like losing for sure...

But year after year in all sports the majority of players sign for the higher paycheck - because for their/family futures.

Excellent org. post. I agree very much. The one constant in the past few yrs. has been the coaching staff and mgr. I would also include the coaches as well as mgr. If I remember right the coaches were brought in to help a rookie mgr. out. Maybe I'm old school but don't most mgrs. bring in at least a few of their own coaches? I also think at this point the team needs a butt kicking mgr. and no I don't mean one who screams at the players in the dugout. Maybe the players will get the idea. This is a much better team then what we've been seeing.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 08:05 PM)
Most players don't like losing for sure...

But year after year in all sports the majority of players sign for the higher paycheck - because for their/family futures.

Then we agree

Hate to say this but the Sox blew it last offseason by being loyal. When Maddon was available, it was time to put Robin in the TV booth with Hawk and Stoney; three man booth. Or 3 man radio booth. Or give him some job til his contract runs out. Loyalty is great, but when a star manager becomes available and your manager is Robin, you have to bid bye bye to Robin.

Can't blame Hahn for trying with all the trades, but now it's time to trade the guys he acquired. Should be do-able.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 04:08 AM)
Hate to say this but the Sox blew it last offseason by being loyal. When Maddon was available, it was time to put Robin in the TV booth with Hawk and Stoney; three man booth. Or 3 man radio booth. Or give him some job til his contract runs out. Loyalty is great, but when a star manager becomes available and your manager is Robin, you have to bid bye bye to Robin.

Can't blame Hahn for trying with all the trades, but now it's time to trade the guys he acquired. Should be do-able.

He left Tampa knowing he wanted to go to NL and manage the Cubs. Lots to be frustrated about this year, but the Sox would have never been an option.

We might as well be upset we didn't bring in LaRussa or Leyland.

That had about the same probability of happening as Maddon, which was essentially zero....unless JR was willing to break with policy and pay his manager in the top 3-5 in terms of salaries. Come to think of it, this is one area you can say the White Sox have been cheaper, if not cheap, compared to the Bulls especially.

Why, I have no idea. Control? Easier to get former players to coach/manage for less money?

On the other hand, Don Cooper has one of the highest, if not #1 overall, pitching coach salaries in baseball. Some perceive him to be an in-house "spy" loyal to only JR and the organization, and not to whoever's managing the team. That's not the best structure in the world...a house divided against itself cannot stand.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 12:46 AM)
We might as well be upset we didn't bring in LaRussa or Leyland.

That had about the same probability of happening as Maddon, which was essentially zero....unless JR was willing to break with policy and pay his manager in the top 3-5 in terms of salaries. Come to think of it, this is one area you can say the White Sox have been cheaper, if not cheap, compared to the Bulls especially.

Why, I have no idea. Control? Easier to get former players to coach/manage for less money?

On the other hand, Don Cooper has one of the highest, if not #1 overall, pitching coach salaries in baseball. Some perceive him to be an in-house "spy" loyal to only JR and the organization, and not to whoever's managing the team. That's not the best structure in the world...a house divided against itself cannot stand.

It's not good to have the pitching coach have that much power IMO. One thing about Ozzie, and f*** Ozzie for how he went out, but he sure as hell let everyone know who was in charge. In many ways, he did take a lot of the blame off the players when things were going poorly. Thing was, Ozzie only has that one ace in his pocket when the team is scuffling to play. RV has zero from what I can tell, he doesn't make enough noise in the media to really send a message imo.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 06:10 AM)
It's not good to have the pitching coach have that much power IMO. One thing about Ozzie, and f*** Ozzie for how he went out, but he sure as hell let everyone know who was in charge. In many ways, he did take a lot of the blame off the players when things were going poorly. Thing was, Ozzie only has that one ace in his pocket when the team is scuffling to play. RV has zero from what I can tell, he doesn't make enough noise in the media to really send a message imo.

I loved/worshiped Ozzie and told you guys you'd miss him. My only complain on Ozzeroo late in his tenure was the Sunday lineup thing. Also the Sox were becoming the dysfunctional team we are now. We'd never sweep anybody and had a few 1-9 type road trips and were starting to lose games in awful ways. But I always respected his knowledge of the game and his style. The best thing woulda been for Ozzie to take a year off to re-generate (I realize that never happens) and then return for a second stint with the Sox after a year off.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 17, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)

Maddon wasn't really "available". He had a job, then the Cubs tampered and got him to come there.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 01:45 AM)
I loved/worshiped Ozzie and told you guys you'd miss him. My only complain on Ozzeroo late in his tenure was the Sunday lineup thing. Also the Sox were becoming the dysfunctional team we are now. We'd never sweep anybody and had a few 1-9 type road trips and were starting to lose games in awful ways. But I always respected his knowledge of the game and his style. The best thing woulda been for Ozzie to take a year off to re-generate (I realize that never happens) and then return for a second stint with the Sox after a year off.

I had a big problem with his quitting on the team during the season, and still do. I do not want him back as a manager for sure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:44 AM)
Maddon wasn't really "available". He had a job, then the Cubs tampered and got him to come there.

The other funny thing about Maddon is the Rays were well below .500 last year. This year they have been devastated by injury as much as any team, and lost him, yet there they are, in first place.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 03:45 PM)
I had a big problem with his quitting on the team during the season, and still do. I do not want him back as a manager for sure.

i second, and third that point.

what ozzie did was chicken shiite. the sox could have easily filed tampering charges and i would if i was owner.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
i second, and third that point.

what ozzie did was chicken shiite. the sox could have easily filed tampering charges and i would if i was owner.

The only reason they didn't is they wanted him gone. The bridges were burned.

while searching for something on the sox.... i found this.

Sept. 4, 1995

Third baseman Robin Ventura ties a major-league

record as he becomes only the eighth player to

hit two grand slams in one game (fourth and fifth

innings).

this is how i would always like to remember him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
The other funny thing about Maddon is the Rays were well below .500 last year. This year they have been devastated by injury as much as any team, and lost him, yet there they are, in first place.

If all you are proving is that managers don't matter that much, than why does it matter that he stays? What do you have invested in Robin Ventura's career?