Rick Hahn speaks

southsider2k5

I think a major flaw in the Sox coaching staff is that there isn't anyone on the staff that has/had previous MLB managerial experience. I guess you can say Cooper managed a couple games but many times a first time manager will have an experienced former manager, like a Gene Lamont or Don Zimmer, to act as a sounding board as their bench coach. I think having a veteran that has been in charge through the rigors of major league season and show RV the ropes until he got his feet wet, would be nothing but a good thing to have on the staff. The team has been poorly coached from day 1. Maybe an experienced manager could have helped RV establish a better baseline and then improve and develop over the years. Right now, it's pretty much a dumpster fire out there and there doesn't seem to be much promise in the offing.

If you don't think a coach or staff makes a difference just look at Golden State. Mark Jackson was a 1st time HC that had a staff full less experienced guys that were never HC's and didn't threaten his authority. Thus, the team played below expectation. First time HC Steve Kerr was the right guy to lead but he also brought in a veteran staff that included former HC Alvin Gentry and they win it all.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:33 PM)
I think a major flaw in the Sox coaching staff is that there isn't anyone on the staff that has/had previous MLB managerial experience. I guess you can say Cooper managed a couple games but many times a first time manager will have an experienced former manager, like a Gene Lamont or Don Zimmer, to act as a sounding board as their bench coach. I think having a veteran that has been in charge through the rigors of major league season and show RV the ropes until he got his feet wet, would be nothing but a good thing to have on the staff. The team has been poorly coached from day 1. Maybe an experienced manager could have helped RV establish a better baseline and then improve and develop over the years. Right now, it's pretty much a dumpster fire out there and there doesn't seem to be much promise in the offing.

If you don't think a coach or staff makes a difference just look at Golden State. Mark Jackson was a 1st time HC that had a staff full less experienced guys that were never HC's and didn't threaten his authority. Thus, the team played below expectation. First time HC Steve Kerr was the right guy to lead but he also brought in a veteran staff that included former HC Alvin Gentry and they win it all.

So because Alvin Gentry he of the 2 winning seasons as a HC and well below .500 was on the staff, they won? Who other than Ozzie's 1 year had managerial experience on the 2005 staff?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
The point is that it IS POSSIBLE for other teams to help their players improve defensively once they've reached the major league level.

Instead, most of the White Sox players have been getting worse, by defensive ratings and/or the eye test.

Explain what has been done by the staff to address that.

They draft guys that can't catch a baseball to begin with. If they are deficient as something there is not going to be much improvement at a higher level of play. They think everyone can be like Happy Gilmore.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:24 AM)
They draft guys that can't catch a baseball to begin with. If they are deficient as something there is not going to be much improvement at a higher level of play. They think everyone can be like Happy Gilmore.

It's like the version of drafting basketball players that can jump really high, and you hope over time they improve their shot. Unfortunately, it's easier said than done.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:51 PM)
So because Alvin Gentry he of the 2 winning seasons as a HC and well below .500 was on the staff, they won? Who other than Ozzie's 1 year had managerial experience on the 2005 staff?

I know you don't think any coach could do any better than what RV has been doing and are perfectly happy with how he is handling things. That's fine if that's your opinion. That doesn't make mine, or anyone else's opinion less valid.

What does Gentry's record as HC have to do with anything? Having been a HC for many years, he can offer insight to Kerr. I don't see how it's that tough to see where experience can help out. And nowhere did I say the won because of Gentry, just that he was part of a very successful year one staff that won it all with almost the same roster. Coaching staffs can and do make a difference. As for OG, there are examples to offset any explanations. Nothing is 100% and I think an experienced bench coach would have been good for RV.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 09:43 PM)
I know you don't think any coach could do any better than what RV has been doing and are perfectly happy with how he is handling things. That's fine if that's your opinion. That doesn't make mine, or anyone else's opinion less valid.

What does Gentry's record as HC have to do with anything? Having been a HC for many years, he can offer insight to Kerr. I don't see how it's that tough to see where experience can help out. And nowhere did I say the won because of Gentry, just that he was part of a very successful year one staff that won it all with almost the same roster. Coaching staffs can and do make a difference. As for OG, there are examples to offset any explanations. Nothing is 100% and I think an experienced bench coach would have been good for RV.

Basketball and baseball are 2 very different things. Running a basketball, hockey or football game is far more complex than running a baseball game.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:43 PM)

The funny thing is they "sold" Parent as being experienced, but he really needed someone like a Don Zimmer, or Joe Torre always had Stottlemyre to bounce everything off on in NY...there was a trust and respect there. I'm not sure it's quite the same dynamic with the White Sox dugout.

And, we're now a full THREE games behind the Indians for last place in the AL Central. Not how they drew it up. On the plus side, we're only 1/2 game ahead (or behind, depending on how you look at it) the 4th pick in next June's draft. And just one game from 3rd if Oakland keeps improving.

Biggest problem is chasing down the Brewers and Phillies.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 03:10 AM)
Enough of basketball talk, we need to sell tomorrow. Season ended today, we would have the 7th pick overall

Hey you ain't seen nothing yet. Seventh pick today. This team may lose between 100-105 games. That should be good for the first pick or second.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 01:20 AM)
Hey you ain't seen nothing yet. Seventh pick today. This team may lose between 100-105 games. That should be good for the first pick or second.

Plus the #9 pick if Fulmer says NO to Sox below-slot offer.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:20 AM)

The sad thing is I believe that. This team just might lose 95-100 games this year. It will be another top 3 pick and the Sox will draft yet another starting pitcher.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 02:20 AM)

Should i bet the house on it?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
Plus the #9 pick if Fulmer says NO to Sox below-slot offer.

did you do the math???

i am just wondering if they, the sox fo is trying to sign and wait for the college ws to be finished. i think the sox fans will know more how it goes then.

Sox probably already have a deal with Fulmer in place, they are just respecting Vandy's CWS run and not announcing it until after they are finished. What is the rush? He's not going to throw that many innings anyways.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)
Sox probably already have a deal with Fulmer in place, they are just respecting Vandy's CWS run and not announcing it until after they are finished. What is the rush? He's not going to throw that many innings anyways.

again another excellent point. very logical.