6/19 - White Sox vs Rangers

Thing is, Ventura might be the greatest manager in the world. However, it's not working with this team/organization. They've played horrible baseball ever since they collapsed down the stretch a few years ago. It's beyond time for a change. It's a lot easier to fire coaches than it is every player that isn't performing.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:44 PM)
Thing is, Ventura might be the greatest manager in the world. However, it's not working with this team/organization. They've played horrible baseball ever since they collapsed down the stretch a few years ago. It's beyond time for a change. It's a lot easier to fire coaches than it is every player that isn't performing.

I think we should try to fire both. All the players, GM, and coaching staff.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 03:42 AM)
Hey I was waiting for you! You wanna repeat that whole thing about Robertson being best closer in baseball? ;)

He got lit up tonight. He's blown four saves. Funny how I used to get ripped for loving Bobby Jenks and I bet at this stage of all his seasons he didn't have four blown saves.

Back to your point ... I still think Robertson is sensational, but I guess I could be mistaken. Maybe he's turned into the pitching equivalent of Melky.

Robertson and cash to Toronto for Stroman and Pompey :)

That's the type of trade I think the Sox should be looking at. Freeing up some salary while bringing in guys who are close to the majors.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 03:44 AM)
Amidst the carnage, beyond the wailing and gnashing of teeth, the one thing that truly, like, TRULY baffles me is how Buddy Bell still has a job.

I think the organization thinks Bell is a true genius, which is far from the truth. His work sickens me.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 09:45 PM)
I think we should try to fire both. All the players, GM, and coaching staff.

I was on the fence about Hahn earlier on, but if the only way the rest of everybody gets fired is to include Hahn, so be it.

bring in a baseball consultant and hire a new GM. The whole department of baseball operations is garbage.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
Buddy Bell will be the interim manager, you wait. And that will be a very very bad thing.

It won't be Bell, and it wouldn't matter anyway.

Say they fire Ventura tonight... Are you actually looking at results the rest of the season? Of course not.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 08:44 PM)
And he should be. You don't trade Sale, your best pitcher, because the rest of the team stinks

In this case the Sox wouldn't be trading him because the rest of the team stinks, per se, but because the rest of the team stinks AND the org is incapable of developing or signing improvements.

A drastic solution to a drastic problem.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 09:47 PM)
Well Robin answered questions for 30 seconds. Said it wasnt a tough decision to pull Sale. Said blown saves happen and walked away. Get this f***ing guy out of here.

Time to go back to Cali!

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 03:47 AM)
It won't be Bell, and it wouldn't matter anyway.

Say they fire Ventura tonight... Are you actually looking at results the rest of the season? Of course not.

Don't care about wins/losses, but looking to see if there's more of a spark and improvement in fundamentals. It's worth a shot, as nothing positive is happening with the team right now in general.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 02:50 AM)
Robertson has been quite good, but so has Papelbon the last few years, and he is still a Phillie.

I think the return for Robertson would be slight. A couple B / 45 FV guys.

Well, Amaro Jr. is crazy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 10:45 PM)
He got lit up tonight. He's blown four saves. Funny how I used to get ripped for loving Bobby Jenks and I bet at this stage of all his seasons he didn't have four blown saves.

Back to your point ... I still think Robertson is sensational, but I guess I could be mistaken. Maybe he's turned into the pitching equivalent of Melky.

It is simple. Since he left Yankees, Robertson has added the facial hair. With the beard batters are able to pick up the baseball better coming out of his hand.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 09:49 PM)
Don't care about wins/losses, but looking to see if there's more of a spark and improvement in fundamentals. It's worth a shot, as nothing positive is happening with the team right now in general.

That's fair enough, and I agree. But it seems like some people are thinking a change in manager means the Sox are trying to get back in it this season. And that's just crazy talk. This team is going to lose close to 90 or higher with any manager.

I lived in Seattle for a couple of years in the mid 90's, when Randy Johnson was really dealing and Lou Piniella was the Mgr. Game after game Randy would pitch his butt off, and Lou would bring in a relief pitcher and blow the game. Finally, Randy threw a tantrum, and it got in the papers. He wanted to finish his own games, period, paragraph. And Lou said okay. Finally. And Randy closed his own games and won them. Sale should throw his tantrum.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 08:52 PM)
Well, Amaro Jr. is crazy

I don't really believe the rumors about him asking for the toppest prospects in return for Paps. Hamels, maybe, but he is their best chip, they have to nail that trade.

He is a bad GM mostly because he signed bad players to bad contracts. W/r/t trades, I don't buy the crazy talk.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 03:29 AM)
Was Ozzie booed like that at home near the end of the 2011 season?

Sad state of affairs. Feel bad for Sale and Ventura.

Never. I think the fans who went to the ballpark actually got a kick out of Ozzie all the way to the end. Ozzie had the kind of personality almost everybody loved. He's the last of the "celebrity" managers. Going to a game and seeing Ozzie was seeing a celebrity. I was hoping he'd be our manager 30 years but he had the war with KW and that was that. Jerry actually chose the wrong guy, KW over Ozzeroo.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 03:47 AM)
I was on the fence about Hahn earlier on, but if the only way the rest of everybody gets fired is to include Hahn, so be it.

bring in a baseball consultant and hire a new GM. The whole department of baseball operations is garbage.

Forget the consultant. No consultants please. Consulants are part of what has ruined American businesses and killed working wages, etc. Consultants are pure EVIL IMO.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 03:47 AM)
Well Robin answered questions for 30 seconds. Said it wasnt a tough decision to pull Sale. Said blown saves happen and walked away. Get this f***ing guy out of here.

He's gone. By walking away from the media, the manager is basically saying, "f*** it. None of this matters in the big scheme of things anyway." He won't discuss his moves, won't discuss anything. He's given up. Tonight's postgame proves it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 20, 2015 -> 04:09 AM)
I saw the Ventura postgame comments. Was fine to me. He answered the questions asked. Nobody kept asking. He left.

You may disagree with what he said, but he was professional after the game.

Why did he leave, though. Normally they give the media a chance to get warmed up.