Well, it's that time of year again....2015 edition

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sox currently have the 11th pick. If they get a top 10 pick again, the 1st round pick is again protected. We get a comp pick for Jeff, I would give up definitely give up our 2nd round pick for Jason Heyward. If the 1st round pick is not protected, I would not do this.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:37 PM)
The Sox currently have the 11th pick. If they get a top 10 pick again, the 1st round pick is again protected. We get a comp pick for Jeff, I would give up definitely give up our 2nd round pick for Jason Heyward. If the 1st round pick is not protected, I would not do this.

Thoughts?

I'd love to sign him. But will we? He's going to get paid a lot. I just hope we spend big money on a hitter like Heyward than a starter like Shark. I'm wondering if it's even realistic at this point.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)
I'd love to sign him. But will we? He's going to get paid a lot. I just hope we spend big money on a hitter like Heyward than a starter like Shark. I'm wondering if it's even realistic at this point.

Sox were close to acquiring him this past off season before the Cards did. I believe Joel Sherman mentioned something about the Sox being 2nd in the Heyward sweepstakes

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 09:44 PM)

What is Heyward going to get? $15M a season? I like him but the White Sox need a #4 and #5 hitter to go with Abreu.

Even if they keep the C (Flowers and Soto platoon) and 2B (with an improving Sanchez) intact, they have gaping holes at RF, SS, 3B and DH while C & 2B could be horrible production as well.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 10:20 PM)
What is Heyward going to get? $15M a season? I like him but the White Sox need a #4 and #5 hitter to go with Abreu.

Even if they keep the C (Flowers and Soto platoon) and 2B (with an improving Sanchez) intact, they have gaping holes at RF, SS, 3B and DH while C & 2B could be horrible production as well.

I'd imagine it will be more like $20M+ a season.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 22, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)
I just wish that they'd find a way to actually develop hitters in their system.

Every 2015 position player outside of 2B is from another system or from Cuba.

Rangel Ravelo is a recent one.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 09:34 PM)
Bye Bye Shark.

I think the Sox will be involved in the bidding, but if he's looking for every last dollar, he'll probably be moving on.

This season, he's been one of the reason's for the team's poor showing. He hasn't been awful, but he also hasn't been a top of the rotation starter like the White Sox thought they were getting.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 9, 2015 -> 02:27 PM)
If Sox offer Shark a QO ($16 Millionish), will he take it as a one year deal?

that is 1 option. and if he does takes it, the sox will be in a win-win situation.

they will reap the rewards of his playing better, and maybe building his value.

Made my annual trip over to Wrigley on Sunday (friend has season tickets). Man... just man... that place what downright electric. Near sell out standing and cheering every 2 strike count, every single... it was a tough pill to swallow, especially after this Sox season. We need meaningful baseball again.

The jumbo trons and new bleachers were also pretty impressive.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 07:20 AM)
12th pick still but close to a lot better than that.

Considering 25 more division games, 7 with the Angels, and 4 with the Yankees, the Sox could still end up with the worst AL record. That should net them a top 5.

If we were to get a Top 5 pick, are there any stud 3B, SS, or 2B we could get? Enough with taking pitchers. I want a Correa!!

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
If we were to get a Top 5 pick, are there any stud 3B, SS, or 2B we could get? Enough with taking pitchers. I want a Correa!!

you have to know 1 thing, any rankings or idea of how the draft will play out, at this point, not a guarantee. the cape games, other games will give a good idea of prospects being put on the radar until the next season starts.

so with that, there is top 8 prospects who are pitchers bot HS and College. then there are 2 nice hitters, Banks and Rutherford. the first power hitter is Dalbec - arz 1b / 3b. projected to be in the 10-15 pick in the 1 st rd.

there are some really exciting pitcher in the first 3-4 picks.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 09:15 AM)
you have to know 1 thing, any rankings or idea of how the draft will play out, at this point, not a guarantee. the cape games, other games will give a good idea of prospects being put on the radar until the next season starts.

so with that, there is top 8 prospects who are pitchers bot HS and College. then there are 2 nice hitters, Banks and Rutherford. the first power hitter is Dalbec - arz 1b / 3b. projected to be in the 10-15 pick in the 1 st rd.

there are some really exciting pitcher in the first 3-4 picks.

I'm starting to hear a lot more about Nick Senzel from Tennessee. Solid power out of the 2B position, viewed as a top 5 bat.

I'm selfishly hoping that the Sox end up getting a protected pick, receive a comp pick for Samardzija, sign Heyward, and then still have 2 high picks in the first two rounds of this next draft.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 07:13 PM)
I'm starting to hear a lot more about Nick Senzel from Tennessee. Solid power out of the 2B position, viewed as a top 5 bat.

I'm selfishly hoping that the Sox end up getting a protected pick, receive a comp pick for Samardzija, sign Heyward, and then still have 2 high picks in the first two rounds of this next draft.

he is interesting and now, b/c of you, i am going to follow him. ACC has him rated in the pre-season rankings. the talk is he is a good contact hitter, with great speed. questionable power, and based on his cape-cod performance may have a high K rate.

it is still too early to make any judgement call. it is now time to start looking at names.

To close out August:

They are probably going to lose 4 out of 6 (maybe split if things go well) with the Angels and Cubs.

They have 6 on the West Coast with the Angels and Mariners. Again, expect a 3-3 trip, at best before coming home to play Boston and Seattle (for 4) where they could play well (take 4 or 5 of these 7).

In September, they have 20 games vs. Detroit, Cleveland, Minnesota and Oakland (4 games) who will all be out of playoff contention. I think 9-11 wins is reasonable in that 20 game stretch.

There are 11 games (all but 2 vs. KC) are on the road vs. KC and NY. This could be pretty rough, but the starting rotation will probably keep them in these games. Still, 4-7 or 3-8 is likely here.

I project them (my math is off some) to be 22-27(ish) down the stretch.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 10, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)

Other than some kind of miraculous 39-14 finish down the stretch and making the playoffs (not gonna happen) this would be the best thing to happen to the Sox for this season. We are 5 games up on a potential top 3 pick right now. Bring Up Erik Johnson and go to 6 starters to save some wear and tear on Sale and Q for the long run. Bring up Micah Johnson (have him DH if need be) when healthy and let the kids play. See what we might have in the system that can help win next year. If we could get a top 5 pick (take BPA), a comp pick for Samardzija in the top 30 overall pick range, and only lose a 2nd rounder for the 2016 draft because we signed a top young free agent at a weakness for the team, I would be happy as hell.