Addison Reed/Davidson trade

oldsox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:13 PM)
It is problem with drafted players, but we do much better in acquisitions.

Even that though has been questionable of late. Eaton was good last year, and stinks this year (and of course, Hector Santiago is now pitching superb). Avi looks like a question mark as well going forward.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
Even that though has been questionable of late. Eaton was good last year, and stinks this year (and of course, Hector Santiago is now pitching superb). Avi looks like a question mark as well going forward.

Avi looks a lot worse because of LaRoche / Melky. If we had Avi in left and had a strong defensive RFer and Cfer, I'd have less concerns (and similarly if Avi got more AB's at DH...he'd still not be a league average DH, but I still see offensive upside in him, I just think his defensive downside is so great right now, especially in RF and when we have Melky in left.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 09:20 PM)
Has Avi's knee contributed to his recent poor play? He was our best hitter before he went down, and since he's come back his performance has plummeted. I'm not blaming it all on the knee but that has to be part of it, right?

a good point, but i think sox don't mention any updates of injury. didn't they just said something like that several weeks ago.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)

Santiago hasn't pitched near as well as his ERA suggests and I'd expect some regression to come soon.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)
Has Avi's knee contributed to his recent poor play? He was our best hitter before he went down, and since he's come back his performance has plummeted. I'm not blaming it all on the knee but that has to be part of it, right?

I think Avi was completely due for this. In fact, I think that him being hurt last year made sure it happened this year. He's been blooping the ball to RF barely over the 2b's head to keep his batting average up rather than driving the ball for 2 seasons now - we saw it in '13 when he came up, we saw it in '14 at the end of the season. If he's hitting a decent batting average and getting his hits, why does he need to work on his approach, he can keep doing that right? Well no, the ball doesn't fall like that all the time.

This year a majority of his HR have come to the opposite field which means he's not pulling the ball. In fact here's a remarkable one....he's a right handed hitter and through 2014-2015 he has 0 doubles down the left field line - not a single one. He doesn't get out ahead of balls and he doesn't pull the ball with authority. All of his power is up and away, so people beat him elsewhere. Combine that with his overly aggressive style and he is a guy who swings too much with too many holes in his swing.

Maybe he can get out of that. Maybe he would have been helped if he hadn't gotten hurt and he'd gone through this slump last year, but he was bound to go through it with his approach.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)

When he was hitting well, his BABIP was ~.450. Now it's down to .348, which is still pretty high, but it's had a long way to fall so it's probably been much lower over the last 3-4 weeks . Basically, everything was falling for him for 6 weeks or so. It's the same thing that happened to Tyler Flowers during his Magic Glasses session last year.

EDIT: I admit this is an oversimplification, but I think it explains a lot of it.

ANOTHER EDIT: I looked at the wrong number, his BABIP is still pretty high, correct BABIP in now.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
When he was hitting well, his BABIP was ~.450. Now it's down to .348, which is still pretty high, but it's had a long way to fall so it's probably been much lower over the last 3-4 weeks . Basically, everything was falling for him for 6 weeks or so. It's the same thing that happened to Tyler Flowers during his Magic Glasses session last year.

EDIT: I admit this is an oversimplification, but I think it explains a lot of it.

ANOTHER EDIT: I looked at the wrong number, his BABIP is still pretty high, correct BABIP in now.

Found where he had 5 days off between May 25 and 30, at which point his BABIP was .411. Since then it's .208.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 12:27 PM)
I have no idea, but neither do you and you are assuming Davidson was the best offer for him. If that was the case, and the White Sox knew what Matt Davidson would be, I am guessing they don't make that trade. At one point teams were saying he was not available, so as crazy as it seems, I think they could have received a player who would contribute at the major league level for his services.

At the time of the trade what was Brock Holt doing ? Just curious.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jun 23, 2015 -> 05:12 PM)
At the time of the trade what was Brock Holt doing ? Just curious.

I looked it up . He was repeating AAA and was 25 and had a fairly non-descript season. The Davidson trade was December of 2013 . In 2014 Holt was 26 and started playing very well at Pawtucket and after being called up was making headlines becoming a BoSOx mini legend fielding well anywhere they put him and making spectacular catches ( at least in the OF ). This year his age 27 season he's hitting .318 , OBP over .400 and just hit for the cycle last week.

Hindsight ,I know, but wonder if the Red Sox had any interest in Reed. Holt went from a fringy prospect to solid ML contributor between his age 25 and 26 seasons.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside