Per Robert Feder: Sox/Bulls radio moving to WLS

flavum

Does anybody know what the radio ratings are for the baseball teams in Chicago this year? Are radio ratings high most years? I've always been led to believe that the radio is a after thought with teams. TV is considered the important thing to the owners.

Edited by WBWSF

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 08:34 AM)
So Dick, give us the final word. Good move, bad move?

Who knows? It probably was the best deal out there, and it looks like JR used the Bulls to bring in max dollars, so the Sox are probably better off, but radio rights these days I don't think bring in very much. So I don't think it will make much difference in payroll.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
Use this change to dump Farmio and Rongey.

Yes! I can tolerate Farmio a bit more as a color guy. But Rongey doesn't bring any insight to pre and post game analysis. He just pretty much states the obvious. It would be nice to have a guy with a little more knowledge of the game of baseball. One guy who I thought was terrific in this role was Dave Wills back in the day.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
Yes! I can tolerate Farmio a bit more as a color guy. But Rongey doesn't bring any insight to pre and post game analysis. He just pretty much states the obvious. It would be nice to have a guy with a little more knowledge of the game of baseball. One guy who I thought was terrific in this role was Dave Wills back in the day.

Rongey has deteriorated into the typical score guy after his time there. I used to like him, but I can't do it anymore.

I actually think that Rongey's become too cynical and negative, which is saying a lot...coming from my perspective.

Undoubtedly a product of getting tired of being wrong whenever a "false positive" turns out to be incorrect over the last 3-4 seasons. After you've painted so many rose-colored scenarios that haven't come to fruition, you also start to believe that no matter what the team does, something will go awry.

It's almost reminiscent of someone living in denial when a political campaign has been pronounced dead by the media and they're drawing handfuls instead of hundreds/thousands at events...but the strategists have to fight on anyway, because they can't realistically quit or give up.

Watching the positive vibes around the Cubs and Maddon, it's impossible not to sense/feel the dichotomy in terms of the atmosphere surrounding both teams. Some fresh blood would help...in the front office/coaching staff, the broadcast booths, marketing, etc. Things have just gotten stale...at some point, you just have to move on to a new challenge.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
I actually think that Rongey's become too cynical and negative, which is saying a lot...coming from my perspective.

Undoubtedly a product of getting tired of being wrong whenever a "false positive" turns out to be incorrect over the last 3-4 seasons. After you've painted so many rose-colored scenarios that haven't come to fruition, you also start to believe that no matter what the team does, something will go awry.

It's almost reminiscent of someone living in denial when a political campaign has been pronounced dead by the media and they're drawing handfuls instead of hundreds/thousands at events...but the strategists have to fight on anyway, because they can't realistically quit or give up.

Watching the positive vibes around the Cubs and Maddon, it's impossible not to sense/feel the dichotomy in terms of the atmosphere surrounding both teams. Some fresh blood would help...in the front office/coaching staff, the broadcast booths, marketing, etc. Things have just gotten stale...at some point, you just have to move on to a new challenge.

Well said! Things have gone extremely stale around these parts. A fresh start, new blood, different brains and a new identity is definitely what this organization needs. I'm not upset from them moving away from 670, I just hope they make the proper changes on WLS!

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)

Rongey has to go for good.

WLS is mentioning this on the air at the top of the hour, and during newscasts today. Apparently Brooks Boyer called in to the John Howell show this morning on WLS to make the official announcement. Brooks also indicated that Disco Demolition Night will not be returning.

The best part of this news is that White Sox radio broadcasts will no longer have a 30 second delay because AM 890 WLS does not run 'AM HD' unlike WSCR. 'AM HD' is a terrible technology that causes broadcasts to be: delayed 30 seconds over actual time; a hiss sound in the background; and interference to other adjacent AM stations (2 positions on either side of the frequency). Both AM HD and FM HD are difficult to receive unless listeners are located close to the broadcast towers.

WLS is the only station in the Chicago area that runs 'AM Stereo', which is a much better technology than the dreadful 'AM HD'. But in order for AM Stereo to work, the audio must be sourced or produced in stereo in the first place, and the listener needs a 'AM Stereo' receiver.

The bad part is that the transmitting tower for WLS is located in far south-suburban Tinley Park, which is not a central location compared to Chicago's other 50,000 watt AM stations. For listeners in the north suburbs, WLS has problems overriding interference from power lines, dimmer switches, some TV's, etc.

Some people on this board have complained that the political talk shows on WLS are not a good combination with Sox broadcasts. True, but I don't think Jerry Reinsdorf cares about any other programs on WLS. His decision is based only on whatever radio station wants to pay the most money. Broadcasters have been known to pay rights fees that are certain to lose money, with the intention that sports will improve ratings and the general image of a station.

Another example of a MLB team that airs games on the same station airing Rush Limbaugh is 710 WOR in New York, the home of the New York Mets.

I hardly listen to any terrestrial radio; my drivetime is all podcasts or XM.

I've never tuned into 790 in my life; I'll have to test out the signal today. Pray it isn't during Limbaugh.

Though, even if it doesn't come in well I can always listen on XM, which I prefer to do anyway. Yes, it tends to be slightly delayed, but is still not behind my phone alerts. Plus it means I get the score and innings/outs on the display, which is crucial when you're listening to Ed Farmer "call" a game. It also enables me to listen to the opponents' feed when they're on the road.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 07:21 AM)
I hardly listen to any terrestrial radio; my drivetime is all podcasts or XM.

I've never tuned into 790 in my life; I'll have to test out the signal today. Pray it isn't during Limbaugh.

Though, even if it doesn't come in well I can always listen on XM, which I prefer to do anyway. Yes, it tends to be slightly delayed, but is still not behind my phone alerts. Plus it means I get the score and innings/outs on the display, which is crucial when you're listening to Ed Farmer "call" a game. It also enables me to listen to the opponents' feed when they're on the road.

It won't get you very far as they are moving to 890...