6/24 Games

flavum

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Jun 24, 2015 -> 08:57 PM)
Marin hasn't allowed a run in his last 22 innings and counting.

Seems like a kid who has pretty decent minor league stats but fairly limited MLB potential.

Are we missing something (new pitch, change in delivery, healthy) with this recent stretch?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 12:24 AM)
Seems like a kid who has pretty decent minor league stats but fairly limited MLB potential.

Are we missing something (new pitch, change in delivery, healthy) with this recent stretch?

You are missing a lot. And you'll be hearing more about it soon on FS.

For now... when he was released from W-S a little over a year ago, he went to Indy ball, changed some pitch grips and added a cutter. Came back and had better stuff. Then the Sox tweaked his delivery too, and in the Mexican winter league all of a sudden his FB was hitting mid-90s, touching 96 as a high. The Sox wanted him to get reps but didn't have room in AAA so they loaned him to a Mexican League team for a while this year, now he's back.

Current stuff includes a usually-low-90s sinking fastball, effective cutter, a couple breaking pitches I don't know a ton about, and overall strong command. I'd put him in the T30 now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 12:29 PM)
You are missing a lot. And you'll be hearing more about it soon on FS.

For now... when he was released from W-S a little over a year ago, he went to Indy ball, changed some pitch grips and added a cutter. Came back and had better stuff. Then the Sox tweaked his delivery too, and in the Mexican winter league all of a sudden his FB was hitting mid-90s, touching 96 as a high. The Sox wanted him to get reps but didn't have room in AAA so they loaned him to a Mexican League team for a while this year, now he's back.

Current stuff includes a usually-low-90s sinking fastball, effective cutter, a couple breaking pitches I don't know a ton about, and overall strong command. I'd put him in the T30 now.

yah, he came, at least for me, at of no where to become a viable option. i really like to see him build some success this season and see what is left to do to make the big league.

another arm.... great

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)
I'd be very wary about Marin. Dude has struck out just 11% of the batters he's faced at AAA. He'll have to improve mightily on that to be anything approaching a prospect in my book.

Just as going scoreless in 22 innings is a very small sample, so is the K rate. And unlike say Beck, look at his pro career prior - he is usually more 6, 7, 8 K/9.

And more important is stuff. What's interesting about Marin is, his stuff wasn't anything worth writing home about in his early years. But he's re-tooled significantly. Added a cutter that a scout I talked with called "major league", his FB velo went from 88-91 to low 90s touching mid-90s, and his core FB shows more sink now. Which leads to another key point - he was not particularly FB or GB heavy before, but he's getting a lot more ground balls now. Which is important to look at vs K rates.

He's certainly not a high end prospect, but I'd call him a prospect. I think in a relief role, with the strong command he has on that FB and CT and their quality level, with the ability to throw a change or breaker for a strike, he could do well there.