2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 07:41 PM)
Agreed. Everyone is flawed. Dallas looks like the best of the west more than anyone else, but their defense will often not show up and they'll look bad. That being said, they played hard against Chicago in Dallas and blew them out of the building.

I hate the Kings game, but they're another team I don't want to meet.

Dallas plays the exact opposite of playoff hockey. It wouldn't shock me at all if they got bounced in the first round, especially if they run into a team that a physical D first type team like STL.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
Kane has more 3 point games than he does 0 point games. What a hockey player

Top 5 player in the NHL right now for sure

In no particular order

Kane

Seguin

Benn

Tarasenko

Karlsson

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2015 -> 08:15 PM)
Dallas plays the exact opposite of playoff hockey. It wouldn't shock me at all if they got bounced in the first round, especially if they run into a team that a physical D first type team like STL.

Stars have allowed 16 goals in the last 10 games. They're playing extremely well at the moment and still have yet to lose consecutive games.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but they're so much better than the Blackhawks right now, it's not even funny.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 03:09 AM)
Stars have allowed 16 goals in the last 10 games. They're playing extremely well at the moment and still have yet to lose consecutive games.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but they're so much better than the Blackhawks right now, it's not even funny.

Ask Nashville and St Louis about their regular season championships. Both in years looked better than the Hawks in the regular season. Then the playoffs happen.

This isn't exactly the right thread, but I thought you may be the group to help me the most on this...

For my dad's 60th birthday, my fiancee and I are looking at getting him tickets to a Wolves-Icehogs game. He's really gotten (back) into hockey over the last seven years like everyone else, but obviously Hawks tickets are way out of our budget. I thought seeing the Hawks affiliate in Rosemont would be a good idea.

I don't follow hockey at all and don't particularly care for it--I've been to a couple of Wolves games but those were both in the 90s.

Where in the Allstate Arena is the best place to sit for hockey? Let's assume the glass seats are sold out all around. Are the next couple of rows good? I've read in some places that it's best to be a few rows up so you get a better view of the ice. How wide of a berth should I give around the benches? I've heard that for sightlines, upper level might actually be the best, but I'd like to get him something closer if possible. Any recommendations, either at the Allstate Arena in particular or hockey in general?

WolvesArenaMap.png

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 07:10 AM)
Ask Nashville and St Louis about their regular season championships. Both in years looked better than the Hawks in the regular season. Then the playoffs happen.

This Blackhawks team is significantly hampered by what is becoming a really bad Toews contract.

It doesn't have to be, but throwing Toews on a junk line is killing his performance. He's electric in overtime with the 3 on 3 lines. He should be that electric during 5 on 5, but he's just not. His linemates aren't good.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
Coming out strong with hot takes early in 2016, I'll give you credit for that.

He's 39 games into an eight year deal. And is 27. And by many is considered a Top 3 player in the NHL given his intangibles. And has consistently showed up during the playoffs. I can keep going, but it doesn't seem necessary.

Jim Nill didn't give out the contract so therefore it's a bad one

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 10:07 AM)
Coming out strong with hot takes early in 2016, I'll give you credit for that.

He's 39 games into an eight year deal. And is 27. And by many is considered a Top 3 player in the NHL given his intangibles. And has consistently showed up during the playoffs. I can keep going, but it doesn't seem necessary.

He's all of those things. He's also completely wasted at the moment

And Jim Nill will have tough decisions to make when Benn and Seguin need new contracts.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
He's all of those things. He's also completely wasted at the moment

And Jim Nill will have tough decisions to make when Benn and Seguin need new contracts.

Underperforming at the moment is a lot different than declaring it a bad contract after not even half a regular season. If you want to declare him done that's your business, but I think he's earned the right to have a bad stretch or two.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 11:03 PM)
As we have learned with Toews, it's not about if he goes through a bad stretch, it's when. He hasn't disappointed in the playoffs yet. Stars fans wouldn't really know what's that like :P

Toews has not had a great season, and he'd probably be the first one to tell you that. I also still go back to my original argument, there are a lot of miles on that body, even for a 27 year old. He's played more games over the last six years than just about any other NHL player, and he does the dirty work.

But myself, and the Blackhawks shouldn't regret the deal for a second.

There are two other options there. #1, let him walk in free agency. #2, play hard ball with him, risk pissing him off, and wanting to go into free agency.

Which other option would be better than the deal he got? The guy is a Hall of Famer in waiting. He has earned every penny of that contract. Honestly going into the deals, if I were to have questioned which player to give this deal to, it would have been Kane, not Toews. Johnny's whole value is the fact he is a top scoring center AND a top defensive center. Those kind of players are impossible to find. There really isn't a question about whether you give him this deal or not.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 07:36 AM)
There are two other options there. #1, let him walk in free agency. #2, play hard ball with him, risk pissing him off, and wanting to go into free agency.

Which other option would be better than the deal he got? The guy is a Hall of Famer in waiting. He has earned every penny of that contract. Honestly going into the deals, if I were to have questioned which player to give this deal to, it would have been Kane, not Toews. Johnny's whole value is the fact he is a top scoring center AND a top defensive center. Those kind of players are impossible to find. There really isn't a question about whether you give him this deal or not.

This is absolutely true, however the real right answer is to sign him and put him with legitimate linemates.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 12:07 PM)
This is absolutely true, however the real right answer is to sign him and put him with legitimate linemates.

In years prior Kane suffered that fate. To think that contract is anything less than justly earned is foolish my god the guy has worn the C since he was 20, has his name on the cup with three teams.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 07:44 PM)
In years prior Kane suffered that fate. To think that contract is anything less than justly earned is foolish my god the guy has worn the C since he was 20, has his name on the cup with three teams.

You're right for the wrong reasons. You don't pay for past performance. The Blackhawks owed Toews nothing. However, Toews would be better with real linemates. If he isn't paired with that kind of talent, he's not worth $10 million per. No one is.

And you are correct about Kane in the past. However, when Kane underperformed, he wasn't making $10 million per year.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 11:11 PM)
You're right for the wrong reasons. You don't pay for past performance. The Blackhawks owed Toews nothing. However, Toews would be better with real linemates. If he isn't paired with that kind of talent, he's not worth $10 million per. No one is.

And you are correct about Kane in the past. However, when Kane underperformed, he wasn't making $10 million per year.

And there's your catch 22. If you want to pay Toews/Keith/Kane/Crawford/Seabrook/Hossa 2/3 of your salary cap, then not everyone is gonna play with great linemates all the time. See the Pittsburgh Penguins.

But it's not about owing Toews anything. It's about seeing what he has done with the great roulette of Hawks rosters the last 7 years and giving his talent the benefit of the doubt that they he will keep winning after adding 3 banners to the rafters. Maybe the Hawks don't win another Cup over the next ten years, but I don't know how you can bury Toews already after less than 41 games and declare him a bad contract. That's a Skip Bayless like hot take.

Jonathan Drouin requests a trade from Tampa Bay. I'd almost give up anyone in the farm for that kid, but that's probably unrealistic plus it seems he has attitude issues. Should be interesting to see what they get for him.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 2, 2016 -> 11:11 PM)

Then you lose said free agent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 06:50 PM)
Then you lose said free agent.

That's the business. While I appreciate what Jonathan Toews can be, I understand that 10.5 per is a lot of cap room.

When you hit your "big" deal, your value plummets.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 3, 2016 -> 10:20 PM)
That's the business. While I appreciate what Jonathan Toews can be, I understand that 10.5 per is a lot of cap room.

When you hit your "big" deal, your value plummets.

And there goes any Cup chances with it. All for some cap room.