2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:16 AM)
I love Shaw's effort on that top line. I just wish he could finish.

i am with you, no one can say he does not have heart nor the willingness to put in that effort, but he does not have that finishing talent.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:00 PM)
I don't think there always has to be a winner & a loser. I think this is an old school 1-1 trade where both teams fill a huge need.

Columbus gave up a guy they were scratching for a future top D man who is 21. I'd say they did pretty good.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 6, 2016 -> 08:00 PM)
I don't think there always has to be a winner & a loser. I think this is an old school 1-1 trade where both teams fill a huge need.

Agreed. In the long run I would rather have Jones, but Nashville is so deep on the blue line and so desperate for offense, the trade makes so much sense for them too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 07:09 AM)
5 in a row for the Hawks. 2nd best point total in the west, 3rd best in all of hockey.

Crazy that they're playing this well, and people don't think of them as cup contenders still.

With as much turnover as the Hawks had, and have the 3rd best record in hockey right now, great job from the coaching staff.

For the Bowman haters, does he credit for assembling the roster that is playing so well, also?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
Crazy that they're playing this well, and people don't think of them as cup contenders still.

With as much turnover as the Hawks had, and have the 3rd best record in hockey right now, great job from the coaching staff.

For the Bowman haters, does he credit for assembling the roster that is playing so well, also?

to put it mildly or just to hear me write this out, but this is the inequality of the hawks past success.

that success to attributed to great drafting, great coaching and have a great main core of players to add or to plugin players with a specific talent to continue the success.

i still think of 2 things.

1. the team of players or really underestimated by most hawks fan. b/c of being blinded by that success and 3 SC.

2. i still don't see the hawks gm doing anything ...... b/c again, what team will really want to help the hawks, unless it is by over payments.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:11 AM)
to put it mildly or just to hear me write this out, but this is the inequality of the hawks past success.

that success to attributed to great drafting, great coaching and have a great main core of players to add or to plugin players with a specific talent to continue the success.

i still think of 2 things.

1. the team of players or really underestimated by most hawks fan. b/c of being blinded by that success and 3 SC.

2. i still don't see the hawks gm doing anything ...... b/c again, what team will really want to help the hawks, unless it is by over payments.

This is simply not true. If a trade helps the other team in the long run or now, they will make a trade with the Hawks. The theory of teams wanting to not help the Hawks is just wrong. It's a business, you do what's best for your team.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)

Also for the haters, for as much grief as Stan got for the trades this off season, where is the love for Pannarin? The guy has been all world.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 04:18 PM)
This is simply not true. If a trade helps the other team in the long run or now, they will make a trade with the Hawks. The theory of teams wanting to not help the Hawks is just wrong. It's a business, you do what's best for your team.

you have a point, but if the hawks can help them, so can many other teams as well.

so it will goes back to over payment.

stan is in a difficult position to continue this run.

let me bring up something from last yr, many thought, even after the SC, that the hawks over paid from some players at the close of the trade deadline.

one of those players did help, but the cost was a first round pick.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
you have a point, but if the hawks can help them, so can many other teams as well.

let me bring up something from last yr, many thought, even after the SC, that the hawks over paid from some players at the close of the trade deadline.

He has been in a difficult position since 2010, but he still keeps finding a way to build contenders and champions. If it were easy, even the Blues would be doing it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
Also for the haters, for as much grief as Stan got for the trades this off season, where is the love for Pannarin? The guy has been all world.

Very true. Players want to play for the Hawks now. Panarin has been amazing.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:24 AM)
you have a point, but if the hawks can help them, so can many other teams as well

To be fair, at trade deadlines, prices are higher because teams are willing to risk more during the season if they are playing well or missing a piece to contend for a championship like the Hawks did last year.

Another example, look at the Frazier and Chapman deals. If the Reds would of traded these 2 at the last deadline, they definitely would of gotten higher prices for both these guys. I mean for the longest time, the Reds wanted Anderson or Fulmer in a Frazier deal, they ended up with Peraza who was in talks with the Dodgers in the Chapman deal.

In the Chapman deal, Yankees didn't give up anything of value besides 2 "decent pieces", but not top prospects by any means.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
Very true. Players want to play for the Hawks now. Panarin has been amazing.

To be fair, at trade deadlines, prices are higher because teams are willing to risk more during the season if they are playing well or missing a piece to contend for a championship like the Hawks did last year.

Another example, look at the Frazier and Chapman deals. If the Reds would of traded these 2 at the last deadline, they definitely would of gotten higher prices for both these guys. I mean for the longest time, the Reds wanted Anderson or Fulmer in a Frazier deal, they ended up with Peraza who was in talks with the Dodgers in the Chapman deal.

In the Chapman deal, Yankees didn't give up anything of value besides 2 "decent pieces", but not top prospects by any means.

you are missing the point. the main point is, stan will need to find a miracle to do the next trade...... b/c when the hawks are calling, the price instantly is going to go up, no matter what the conversation is.

the success of the hawks will make every trade conversation a difficult one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)
He has been in a difficult position since 2010, but he still keeps finding a way to build contenders and champions. If it were easy, even the Blues would be doing it.

I think a better example would be the Penguins. When they won their first cup with Crosby and Malkin, people thought that team was the next dynasty. Look at what that GM/coaches did to that team. Since then, I don't think they've made it past the 2nd round, and are on the verge of missing the playoffs this year. All because the GM didn't put together a competent team around his stars, instead he added aging veterans like Iginla, Morrow.

Look at what Stan has done now. They added Oduya, Handzus, but also had Saad, Leddy, Kruger Smith, Bollig from within the system contributing to the team.

Last year they added Timonen, Richards, Versteeg, and Vermette. But the likes of Teuvo, TVR, and Nordstrom from within the system contributing to the team.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:36 AM)
you are missing the point. the main point is, stan will need to find a miracle to do the next trade...... b/c when the hawks are calling, the price instantly is going to go up, no matter what the conversation is.

the success of the hawks will make every trade conversation a difficult one.

I disagree. The Hawks success has nothing to made a trade conversation difficult. The Hawks cap space makes it a difficult conversation which could lead to "over pays" from the Hawks

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
I disagree. The Hawks success has nothing to made a trade conversation difficult. The Hawks cap space makes it a difficult conversation which could lead to "over pays" from the Hawks

if you say so...... so i will not continue here.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:40 AM)
I think a better example would be the Penguins. When they won their first cup with Crosby and Malkin, people thought that team was the next dynasty. Look at what that GM/coaches did to that team. Since then, I don't think they've made it past the 2nd round, and are on the verge of missing the playoffs this year. All because the GM didn't put together a competent team around his stars, instead he added aging veterans like Iginla, Morrow.

Look at what Stan has done now. They added Oduya, Handzus, but also had Saad, Leddy, Kruger Smith, Bollig from within the system contributing to the team.

Last year they added Timonen, Richards, Versteeg, and Vermette. But the likes of Teuvo, TVR, and Nordstrom from within the system contributing to the team.

Yeah the similarities and contrasts between the Pens and Hawks are a good study. Both had a young all world core built around cheap star players. The Pens have slowly eroded from their position at the top of the NHL, while the Hawks have repeated their championship runs. The Hawks also have used their purges to put one of the best farm systems in hockey together, which keeps producing contributing players. There have been moments along that time line where the Hawks haven't been on top, but they have always had the needle pointing up. Even when they were down this year, it was because of injury to a Hall of Fame defenseman. Keith gets back, and the Hawks are rolling again. Looking at the top of the farm system, they have two future top 6 guys at the top in Schmaltz and Dano.

This organization is a model of what professional sports teams want to look like.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:54 AM)
Yeah the similarities and contrasts between the Pens and Hawks are a good study. Both had a young all world core built around cheap star players. The Pens have slowly eroded from their position at the top of the NHL, while the Hawks have repeated their championship runs. The Hawks also have used their purges to put one of the best farm systems in hockey together, which keeps producing contributing players. There have been moments along that time line where the Hawks haven't been on top, but they have always had the needle pointing up. Even when they were down this year, it was because of injury to a Hall of Fame defenseman. Keith gets back, and the Hawks are rolling again. Looking at the top of the farm system, they have two future top 6 guys at the top in Schmaltz and Dano.

This organization is a model of what professional sports teams want to look like.

100% true.

Pokka and Firstling are also top 6 D guys. Both have potential to be top 4 as well, and Hartman is easily a top 9 forward that provides what Shaw does now.

Not to mention, players not listed were Svedberg, Ross, Baun, Haggerty (Hawks love him), and Kero that can all fill in bottom pair D guys, and bottom 6 guys on offense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 7, 2016 -> 09:26 AM)

I still think the issue remains that this is really a one scoring line team. The top line is only called the first line because Toews is on it. The difference between this and 2011 is Hossa is a third line talent now, the defensive prospects are thin, and the third and fourth line just aren't good.

Do they have enough star power to win the Cup? Sure. Do I expect them to win the Cup? Absolutely not. There is still a lot of Hockey left and this team is certainly fun enough to justify the Game Center Live investment.