2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
The question is, does he go in as a Blackhawk? Or does the NHL not do that sort of thing?

The actual plaques don't have any team representation as far as I can tell.

Hossa is probably in. He was so good in Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Detroit. I remember the outrage when the Hawks let Havlat go in favor for this guy. I ordered his Blackhawks sweater literally as soon as I could after he signed with the Hawks. When he came back from injury, he came back with a bang scoring two in his debut.

Grantland has decent analysis on this. They didn't project him to have such a slow scoring season, but I think it's still a good article on the subject.

Is Marian Hossa a Hall of Famer?

Edited by AustinIllini

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 08:19 AM)
The actual plaques don't have any team representation as far as I can tell.

Hossa is probably in. He was so good in Atlanta, Pittsburgh, and Detroit. I remember the outrage when the Hawks let Havlat go in favor for this guy. I ordered his Blackhawks sweater literally as soon as I could after he signed with the Hawks. When he came back from injury, he came back with a bang scoring two in his debut.

That was a game against the Sharks. I was at a bar hooting and hollering.

Yeah, Hossa was one of my favorites when he was on the Senators (not listed in your post above). Given he's won 3 Cups with the Hawks, should he get into the Hall it'd without question be as a Blackhawk even if his better seasons were the first 10 of his career.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)

Yeah, Hossa was one of my favorites when he was on the Senators (not listed in your post above). Given he's won 3 Cups with the Hawks, should he get into the Hall it'd without question be as a Blackhawk even if his better seasons were the first 10 of his career.

I just remember going from hating him (in Pittsburgh, Detroit) to loving him in Chicago. He was so good in Detroit and I hating him so much that year. That series against Detroit stung so bad but you knew good things were to come.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 08:35 AM)
I just remember going from hating him (in Pittsburgh, Detroit) to loving him in Chicago. He was so good in Detroit and I hating him so much that year. That series against Detroit stung so bad but you knew good things were to come.

It all lined up. He lost to the Wings on the Penguins and then to the Penguins on the Wings. Then he came as really the final piece to the puzzle to get the Hawks over that hump and away we went.

He's fairly cooked now, not much left in the tank, but still a solid 2-way player.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 08:31 AM)

Same here, it was the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, they smoked them like 7-2 or something. That year was so awesome.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:18 AM)
Same here, it was the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, they smoked them like 7-2 or something. That year was so awesome.

Q would send out this line on rare occasion of Kane, Toews, and Hossa and it was absolutely crazy. They were almost too good to the point where they would make one or two too many passes on any offensive chance.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:48 AM)
While Hossa is aging and the contract will be a drag, I think he does things off the ice that helps the team to be better and will always be worth the contract.

Sure, and while he hasn't and probably will not be the same player, he can still be a productive player, even if he moves down to lower lines. Personally, I'll take 40 y/o Hossa over Bickell any day of the week.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 09:59 AM)
Sure, and while he hasn't and probably will not be the same player, he can still be a productive player, even if he moves down to lower lines. Personally, I'll take 40 y/o Hossa over Bickell any day of the week.

Completely agree. He's still one of the faster players on the team and might be the best wing back checker in the league.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 10, 2016 -> 11:38 PM)
Yeah, I think he's already punched his ticket. The 500 will be the cherry on top.

With 3 Cups, he'll be remembered as a Blackhawk without question.

I don't know about that. His best seasons from a statistics standpoint came before his days in Chicago.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 01:23 PM)
I don't know about that. His best seasons from a statistics standpoint came before his days in Chicago.

He doesn't reach the hall of fame without the cups though seeing as he had no individual awards as it is. If he plays out most or all of his contract, he'll have more years in Chicago than any other team he's played on anyways. If we're talking semantics, his best years came as an Atlanta Thrasher where he was there for 3 seasons. Ask any die hard hockey fan, and he's probably remembered more as an Ottawa Senator than a Thrasher. I'm sure now, he's definitely remembered more as a Blackhawk.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 11, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
He doesn't reach the hall of fame without the cups though seeing as he had no individual awards as it is. If he plays out most or all of his contract, he'll have more years in Chicago than any other team he's played on anyways. If we're talking semantics, his best years came as an Atlanta Thrasher where he was there for 3 seasons. Ask any die hard hockey fan, and he's probably remembered more as an Ottawa Senator than a Thrasher. I'm sure now, he's definitely remembered more as a Blackhawk.

It would have been really interesting to see in an alternate time line if the Hawks win a cup without signing Hossa. He brought such a presence to the front line of the Hawks, and gave the kid versions of Kane and Toews a lot less pressure to play under.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 10:34 AM)
Tracey Myers ‏@TramyersCSN 59s59 seconds ago

#Blackhawks announce three-year contract extension for Joel Quenneville, which runs through the end of the 2019-20 season.

Well deserved!

Nashville is continuing with their archaic "keep the Red out" program to keep the Blackhawks fans out of the building. Tickets can be cancelled without notice, and you can be asked to produce the credit card used to purchase the tickets, and prove that it has a billing address within their viewing area

Nashville is continuing with their archaic "keep the Red out" program to keep the Blackhawks fans out of the building. Tickets can be cancelled without notice, and you can be asked to produce the credit card used to purchase the tickets, and prove that it has a billing address within their viewing area

I'm surprised the league allows this.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:05 PM)
In a more strongly regulated league like the NFL, this would never fly. The NHL, however, is a lot of silly antics.

I remember the same thing happening during Seahawks/49ers playoff games a few years back, it's happened in the NFL too. What can the league really do? I'm sure the teams' front office gets the required amount of tickets.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)

So stupid. If your pathetic fans can't fill the arena, why not sell the seats?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:10 PM)
So stupid. If your pathetic fans can't fill the arena, why not sell the seats?

Surprisingly they are at 98.6% capacity this year, so their fans actually have been showing up.

Side note, the Blackhawks are at 110.3% capacity. They sell the s*** out of standing room only.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)
I remember the same thing happening during Seahawks/49ers playoff games a few years back, it's happened in the NFL too. What can the league really do? I'm sure the teams' front office gets the required amount of tickets.

I think my NFL example is a bad one for the simple reason that NFL games in San Francisco and Seatlle still all sell out. The issue is, this is Nashville. The Preds don't sell out. If Nashville can't fill their stadium, they shouldn't be stopping the NHL from selling tickets and making a profit.

Other franchises don't mind because they're run by competent businessmen. When the Dallas Morning News saw the Blackhawks fans fill the American Airlines Center when Chicago was in town, they wrote a great article about how Dallas needed to model themselves after Chicago. Nashville is just settling for cheap antics because they know they can never have the following Dallas let alone Chicago has.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 07:45 PM)
Surprisingly they are at 98.6% capacity this year, so their fans actually have been showing up.

Side note, the Blackhawks are at 110.3% capacity. They sell the s*** out of standing room only.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

How can Montreal be at 115.8% capacity for road games?