2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)
You mean like what you're doing?

Tell me, who was your favorite pre-2007-2008 Chicago Blackhawk and what was your favorite moment involving him?

*Sigh*

This isn't isn't the first time I've been for some reason "forced" to claim my fandom to you. I don't know why you insist I was never a fan growing up, but I'll play your stupid little game for more than just the first time....

Favorite players growing up were Daze, Zhamnov, Ruutu, Probert (Because he fought and wore my hockey number, 24), Amonte, Cullimore.

Favorite moment other than trying to catch the McDonald's coupons that floated down from the RC blimps that dropped them around the stadium was seeing Gretzky's last game at the United Center, in a skybox, when he was with....the Rangers maybe? I want to say he or someone got a hat-trick that game because I remember everyone flinging their "mousepad" giveaway on to the ice.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 7, 2016 -> 10:25 PM)
You mean like what you're doing?

Tell me, who was your favorite pre-2007-2008 Chicago Blackhawk and what was your favorite moment involving him?

oh i like this. mine was Bobby Hull for one of the most exciting time.

comes across the blue line and shoots the puck, deflected of the stick and sail into the stands. this is 68 ish. this lady behind us was non - stop b****ing and moaning and she took the puck in the moth. knock her out.

the thing is everyone around us clapped .... she left via medical help while her date/husband/boyfriend stayed to watch just one more play and then left.

my second fav was the beer vendor who let me and my cuz always cut in front. but i always gave him a 10 tip every single time.

i have hundreds of those kind of little stories.... damn now i am really showing my age.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 12:59 AM)
*Sigh*

This isn't isn't the first time I've been for some reason "forced" to claim my fandom to you. I don't know why you insist I was never a fan growing up, but I'll play your stupid little game for more than just the first time....

Favorite players growing up were Daze, Zhamnov, Ruutu, Probert (Because he fought and wore my hockey number, 24), Amonte, Cullimore.

Favorite moment other than trying to catch the McDonald's coupons that floated down from the RC blimps that dropped them around the stadium was seeing Gretzky's last game at the United Center, in a skybox, when he was with....the Rangers maybe? I want to say he or someone got a hat-trick that game because I remember everyone flinging their "mousepad" giveaway on to the ice.

Cullimore?

FAIL!

Just kidding. I grant you a pass. You may proceed posting as a non-bandwagoner, now.

Well I don't even know how to skate that probably automatically qualifies me as a bandwagoner anyway. In the 90s I followed and rooted for the Hawks, but I was a way, way bigger Bulls fan, probably caused I played basketball like every day and never even laced up a skate.

In the early 2000s, I was in Champaign and both teams sucked, so I pretty much ignored both Chicago winter sports.

I paid a little more attention again when Toews & Kane showed up. Then in the summer of 08 my buddy convinced me to buy into the hype and get in on season tickets. (at $15/ticket, that was nice). Now 8 years later, I've probably been to like 150 games and only watch the NHL over the Bulls/NBA.

Probably a very early bandwagoner that became a fully converted hockey fan.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
Well I don't even know how to skate that probably automatically qualifies me as a bandwagoner anyway. In the 90s I followed and rooted for the Hawks, but I was a way, way bigger Bulls fan, probably caused I played basketball like every day and never even laced up a skate.

In the early 2000s, I was in Champaign and both teams sucked, so I pretty much ignored both Chicago winter sports.

I paid a little more attention again when Toews & Kane showed up. Then in the summer of 08 my buddy convinced me to buy into the hype and get in on season tickets. (at $15/ticket, that was nice). Now 8 years later, I've probably been to like 150 games and only watch the NHL over the Bulls/NBA.

Probably a very early bandwagoner that became a fully converted hockey fan.

bandwagoner or not, when people goes to a chi blackhawk game, no matter what era, you become hooked. thank god for the new group of players that make the old farts like me, cheer and enjoy the SC's winning moments.

nice story.

i think this a great idea of those hawks fans on here. what made you become a hawks fans and when??

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
bandwagoner or not, when people goes to a chi blackhawk game, no matter what era, you become hooked.

Disagreed. I took many a friend to Hawks games in the late 90s and early 00s and they were bored out of their minds watching a bad team in an empty arena lose 3-0. I was unable to get any of them hooked.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 06:52 AM)
Cullimore?

FAIL!

Just kidding. I grant you a pass. You may proceed posting as a non-bandwagoner, now.

Do I count as a non-bandwagoner when I started watching all sports in 2nd grade (including hockey), although that happened to be in 2006/2007?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
Kruger signed a team friendly bridge deal and trusted the Hawks. This was all part of the plan.

Panarin doesn't become an RFA until next year so we don't have to worry about that money yet. Plus his cap hit is less than 900k

Hawks still project to have 6 mil in cap space next season

It is also worth mentioning that Bickell is finally on his last year next year, which makes him much easier to move to a team looking for floor space.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 09:00 AM)
Do I count as a non-bandwagoner when I started watching all sports in 2nd grade (including hockey), although that happened to be in 2006/2007?

I had no idea you were like 15. I believe you get a pass.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Disagreed. I took many a friend to Hawks games in the late 90s and early 00s and they were bored out of their minds watching a bad team in an empty arena lose 3-0. I was unable to get any of them hooked.

dang it, i really forgot about the era.... but for my excuse, i gave up my hockey tickets, but not my sox tickets nor bulls.

i was going back and forth to my work and home.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)

Oh man, the days of $5 (maybe they were $8?) student tickets in the corners of the 300 level to watch the ABC line...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
The NHL calls the charges against Kane "unfounded". The matter is officially closed as far as the NHL is concerned.

https://twitter.com/TramyersCSN/status/707661968237133824

Just in time for his appearance on the cover of SI. Everything is coming up Kaner.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 02:40 PM)
Details on the Hossa recapture penalty, for those who are curious.

https://blackhawksbreakdown.wordpress.com/2...pon-retirement/

I still find it ridiculous that they didn't grandfather those contracts in somehow since they were legal under the old CBA.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
I still find it ridiculous that they didn't grandfather those contracts in somehow since they were legal under the old CBA.

Totally agree. I don't see how you can penalize a team for a contract that the league agreed to years ago.

I personally don't believe the league has any plans to every actually enforce the cap recapture penalties. They made their statement that what was happening should not be allowed, and that will be that really.

Hossa has a long history of back issues, it'll be very easy for him to say "I want to play but physically can't do it anymore" and they'll just put him on LTIR.

Edited by soxfan18

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 10:05 PM)
The only issue with that article is he if incorrect about "faking" an injury. He cities Chris Pronger in his article, but that's exactly what Philly has done with Chris.

but in all likelihood chris was severely hurt and is probably using the LTIR clause, right??

what happens, esp in the salary cap era, when a team buys out the player and contract???

btw that is a nice article on that subject.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 03:29 PM)
Then why wouldn't he just retire? Because exactly what we are talking about. It's circumventing the cap penalties.

Money?

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't guys on LTIR still get paid? If you retire, you walk away from your contract.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 04:08 PM)
Money?

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't guys on LTIR still get paid? If you retire, you walk away from your contract.

Bingo. Which is why those guys are perfectly willing to go down that road. LTIR gives a cap break for the injury, while the penalty is still less than the player being on the roster at the cheaper years cap hit rate.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 9, 2016 -> 10:29 PM)
Then why wouldn't he just retire? Because exactly what we are talking about. It's circumventing the cap penalties.

the thing is, my info is not as complete as with a lawyers slant.

in the retirement, which i asked about bickell and how that contract will be affected. i can't remember who, but it was said that the team would still incur the salary cap hit.

this is a hard salary cap, no way to circumvent the gray areas. but the loop hole now being use is the LTIR. even then, wasn't there a discussion and some action on that???

am with those who stated that hossa contract and players in that situation, should have been grandfather in.