2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 10m10 minutes ago

Chris Kuc retweeted Craig Schwer

I actually heard Skinner's name mentioned as a possibility for the #Blackhawks at last year's trade deadline.

Someone asked what he thought about the rumors of Skinner. Odd.

About the DA who would be behind a potential Kane case.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-patr...0819-story.html

Erie County District Attorney Frank Sedita III, a member of a powerful western New York political family, must decide in September whether to run for an open seat on the New York Supreme Court, the trial-level court in the state's judicial system. But his candidacy is so widely expected that the Erie County Bar Association's judiciary committee already has invited him to appear before its panel for a campaign interview.

It's enough, lawyers who have watched his career say, to make the famously deliberate Sedita move even more deliberately as he considers the Kane investigation.

Over 27 years as a prosecutor, Sedita has built a reputation both for being tough on sex crimes and for avoiding cases that could potentially backfire. Those two traits could collide in the Kane case, where the authorities are investigating a sexual assault complaint involving the popular Buffalo-born sports figure. The case already has drawn international media interest and sparked heated, often vicious, debate on social media, though Kane, 26, has not been charged with any wrongdoing.

"He was a very fine trial lawyer, and I think he looks at all of the cases that he has to oversee with a trial lawyer's eye," said Frank Clark, Sedita's predecessor. "He's very conservative in how he proceeds. He wants to make sure he's got sufficient evidence not only to proceed but to convict."

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)
Sports Mockery (I know, hence take with a grain of salt) is reporting Kane will not be charged with rape due to lack of evidence.

talking about missing the silver bullet.

i wonder if a civil suit will happen, or would kane and legal rep just buys her off.

now for the big question, does the hawks still look into dealing him???

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 11:40 AM)
Sports Mockery (I know, hence take with a grain of salt) is reporting Kane will not be charged with rape due to lack of evidence.

I assume they are just running with that story because its taken some time now with no charges as of yet. They are just like the rest of us and have no idea whats going to happen with this.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 12:51 PM)
I assume they are just running with that story because its taken some time now with no charges as of yet. They are just like the rest of us and have no idea whats going to happen with this.

That and the fact there is such a high percentage of date rapes that occur with little or no evidence, they are playing the odds.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)

i wonder if a civil suit will happen, or would kane and legal rep just buys her off.

Absolutely not. They might discipline him, but he'll be a Blackhawk.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 25, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)

How do you get proper value for Patrick Kane?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
How do you get proper value for Patrick Kane?

an excellent question..... frankly the answer is the hawks will not get proper value.

but the hit on the horrible news plus the pr hit the hawks may get, would the hawks feel that it is better to get rid of him.

for me, i wouldn't move him.

One thing to keep in mind is that it's MUCH easier to take a moral stand when you have already won 3 Stanley Cups. I'm not saying the Hawks would trade Kane, but it's more of a possibility because they already have this 7-year run to show for his time here.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
One thing to keep in mind is that it's MUCH easier to take a moral stand when you have already won 3 Stanley Cups. I'm not saying the Hawks would trade Kane, but it's more of a possibility because they already have this 7-year run to show for his time here.

a great pov. this is a great core the hawks have, and i believe that they can win a couple more SC. but, and i will use your wording, a moral stand.

i can see the hawks gm using kane to get under the cap. i just think if this is the end of this incident, it would be a huge mistake to move him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 05:42 PM)
Why would you move him if there were no charges for anything? All we have is media rumors and an investigation based on information mostly "leaked."

In a rape case, not enough evidence to prosecute doesn't mean much at all. The fact remains that after all this time and money, the guy still can't stay out of trouble. It isn't hard to imagine a franchise having enough of Kane's stupidity, or even just having a fear that eventually he will miss time because of his stupidity.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
In a rape case, not enough evidence to prosecute doesn't mean much at all. The fact remains that after all this time and money, the guy still can't stay out of trouble. It isn't hard to imagine a franchise having enough of Kane's stupidity, or even just having a fear that eventually he will miss time because of his stupidity.

Right, it could mean it never happened or that it was date rape. Of course he is innocent until proven guilty in this country which is exactly how I would expect the hawks to respond. Extra short rope, nothing else.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)
Right, it could mean it never happened or that it was date rape. Of course he is innocent until proven guilty in this country which is exactly how I would expect the hawks to respond. Extra short rope, nothing else.

At the very absolute best case, what it means is that Patrick Kane put himself in harms way. Again. Worst case...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 11:42 PM)
Why would you move him if there were no charges for anything? All we have is media rumors and an investigation based on information mostly "leaked."

i do not have a choice but to answer this with 2 comments already stated.

1. a higher moral standard, b/c

2. no matter how anyone looks at it, it still may affect the team and org in a bad lite. (pr hit)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 11:46 PM)

excellent post.

your explanation is a lot better than what i was trying to make.

nice

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 11:53 PM)

you are correct on the bold, but that still doesn't stop the corp // commercial // public opnions.

and the hawks still needs to pony up to these 3 to continue the success ($$$) coming in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
Chicagoist ‏@Chicagoist 5h5 hours ago

Why The Patrick Kane Rape Investigation Could Drag On For Months http://bit.ly/1fEsYRx

Hockey wise, that might be the worse case scenario for the Hawks. He gets indefinitely suspended by the NHL during the investigation, but his cap hit counts the whole time, just like Slava Voynov.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 26, 2015 -> 05:53 PM)

Wasn't he already on an extra short rope though? At some point it's gonna run out.