2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 03:08 PM)
Who is publicly shaming all rape victims? That's messed up.

You make a lot of assumptions to Kane's innocence in this and even the fact that a settlement would be further proof. You yourself have said numerous times that it is a difficult case to prove (unless you have video evidence, etc), it is essentially a he said / she said. Their are a million reasons she might ultimately want to settle which do not indicate she lied or anything of the fact. She might just want this to be over and move on or she might also fully understand that not only will she have to relive what happened in trial (and deal with Kane's defense trying to call her a liar and everything else) but she might go through all of that and still lose because it is a he said / she said case. Fact is none of us know and yes, some on here are blaming Kane but you seem to be taking the other side and well, I don't think any of us know anything and I think in these cases, where the person who allegedly had a crime committed against them, has such a difficult time compared to almost any other type of crime.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 03:51 PM)
Public shaming is absolutely the top reason rapes do not get reported.

You cannot attribute discussion for "public shaming."

Very few people in this thread have shamed this woman, whatever that even means, in this thread. We've been discussing and speculating as to what occurred, but I don't recall a whole lot of posters suggesting she should not have reported this if indeed she was raped.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 06:00 PM)
You cannot attribute discussion for "public shaming."

Very few people in this thread have shamed this woman, whatever that even means, in this thread. We've been discussing and speculating as to what occurred, but I don't recall a whole lot of posters suggesting she should not have reported this if indeed she was raped.

I have read the same stuff here and have a completely different opinion on what is being said... and I don't feel I am alone in that viewpoint.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 04:34 PM)
lol, seriously? Go back and read. If you don't believe it, don't believe it. It isn't like I made up some study to justify my position here.

Are you sure you're not just making this up?

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 05:51 PM)
You make a lot of assumptions to Kane's innocence in this and even the fact that a settlement would be further proof. You yourself have said numerous times that it is a difficult case to prove (unless you have video evidence, etc), it is essentially a he said / she said. Their are a million reasons she might ultimately want to settle which do not indicate she lied or anything of the fact. She might just want this to be over and move on or she might also fully understand that not only will she have to relive what happened in trial (and deal with Kane's defense trying to call her a liar and everything else) but she might go through all of that and still lose because it is a he said / she said case. Fact is none of us know and yes, some on here are blaming Kane but you seem to be taking the other side and well, I don't think any of us know anything and I think in these cases, where the person who allegedly had a crime committed against them, has such a difficult time compared to almost any other type of crime.

I am not taking any side other than my opinion, and in my opinion this is a case that is very hard to prove given what we know already and my experience on this topic. I am definitely not in the camp of prosecuting Kane because of his previous behavior nor am I already burning my Kane jersey. Nobody has any evidence one way or the other. Even in your post here you've mentioned i've said things for both sides.

Here is one of my made up studies BTW, I need to find the others I mentioned as each one has its own bias and clearly there is a huge deviation in the "falsely" reported category. Most likely it falls somewhere between 2 and 41 percent instead of one extreme or the other.

http://www.icdv.idaho.gov/conference/hando...Allegations.pdf

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 03:25 PM)
Is NY one of the states that requires a grand jury or can the prosecutor directly indict?

What is a Grand Jury?

Under New York State law, unless the defendant consents, all felony cases must be presented to the Grand Jury. Grand Juries are empowered to hear evidence presented by prosecutors, and to take various actions regarding the evidence and legal charges they are to consider. The Grand Jury can also conduct independent investigations. Grand Juries sit for a term of approximately one month. Each Grand Jury is comprised of 23 citizens who hear and examine evidence concerning offenses and take action based on such evidence.

What Can a Grand Jury Do?

The Grand Jury can vote an indictment (a written statement charging an individual with the commission of a felony), direct the filing of a prosecutor's information (which contains non-felony charges), direct the removal of a case to Family Court, or issue a report. For the first three actions, the Grand Jury must determine that the evidence is legally sufficient and that it provides reasonable cause to believe that the defendant has committed the crime. Otherwise, the Grand Jury dismisses the matter. If the Grand Jury votes an indictment, the case is adjourned to a Supreme Court Arraignment Part.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 10:54 PM)
I think what you all overlooked during this exchange that sources connected to Kane are saying there is absolutely no settlement talks going on.

Its either believe lawyers or believe the media. Kinda makes you feel dirty, don't it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
Jay Zawaski ‏@JayZawaski670 52m52 minutes ago Fontana-on-Geneva Lake, WI

I'm told the salary dump deal / Kruger signing could very well happen this weekend. Perhaps even today. Trade would be pure salary dump.

What is he referring to? I am lost.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
What is he referring to? I am lost.

Its caues he didn't finish the tweet with "eh". Come on now...all hockey tweets should end in "eh". This is all part of my be more like the Donald movement. On a sidenote...could anyone imagine someone with a name like Southsider or Balta as CEO of Soxtalk? As I run for re-election as president, my goal is make wide spread promises and talk big. I'll even let people pull my hair so they know its as real as "Sammy Sosa's High Heat Baseball".

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
Its caues he didn't finish the tweet with "eh". Come on now...all hockey tweets should end in "eh". This is all part of my be more like the Donald movement. On a sidenote...could anyone imagine someone with a name like Southsider or Balta as CEO of Soxtalk? As I run for re-election as president, my goal is make wide spread promises and talk big. I'll even let people pull my hair so they know its as real as "Sammy Sosa's High Heat Baseball".

LOL why are you even in a hockey thread? You hate hockey.