2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 03:55 AM)
It's probably not that bad, mostly for the fact that this team will be exiting its window by the time this contract is up. The only thing this contract does is really emphasize that this "dynasty" has a definitive expiration date.

yeah you are calling it. i kind of sad now. :crying

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 03:55 AM)
It's probably not that bad, mostly for the fact that this team will be exiting its window by the time this contract is up. The only thing this contract does is really emphasize that this "dynasty" has a definitive expiration date.

you know, you brought something up, i wonder how long Q can keep that excellence of what he brings out in the players going without getting burn out.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 10:01 PM)
yeah you are calling it. i kind of sad now. :crying

Meh, that's like seasons away, and the Hawks will still be good, but we all need to enjoy this team while they're still there. I wouldn't be surprised if in years the Blackhawks are a bit more like the Detroit Red Wings of late.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 10:03 PM)
you know, you brought something up, i wonder how long Q can keep that excellence of what he brings out in the players going without getting burn out.

Q's coaching will be critical over the next couple of seasons. He likes to rely on veterans to fill holes, but the Blackhawks have enough talent in the minors that you would almost rather they be a little worse but set the foundation for the future.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 28, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)
Thank you for teaching me about the NHL salary cap, appreciate it.

And if it was for 5 seasons, the average cap hit would have had to of been much higher. But you already knew that...

The average salary would jump to $8.4 million over the first five years. No idea how the signing bonus would factor in, but that is a much bigger cap hit.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
Of course. No one wants to lose Seabrook, but when they figure out a way to keep him, it's a bad contract the Hawks will regret. Can't win.

Bowman is going to have his misses, but their plan has been all along to establish the strongest core possible, and surround it with other pieces. This move keeps that plan intact.

while the hawks plan is to tie up the main core. well good for that. but he has been overpaying in some way or another.

huge cap hit in the short time, and the length of the contract.

this new info on the break down of the contract, i don't know if this is worst than bickell.

no matter what, a team needs to replenish the team thru natural attrition. use the Philly of the mlb as the perfect example.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 09:24 AM)
Of course. No one wants to lose Seabrook, but when they figure out a way to keep him, it's a bad contract the Hawks will regret. Can't win.

Bowman is going to have his misses, but their plan has been all along to establish the strongest core possible, and surround it with other pieces. This move keeps that plan intact.

And just for arguments sake, if you go back 8 years, the NHL salary cap has gone from $50.3 million in 2007-08, to $71.4 million in 2015-16, good for about a 40% INCREASE. Another $20 million in increase would put it at $90 millionish. Another 40% increase would put it right at $100 million in 8 years.

Also FWIW, the NHL's TV contract is up after the 2020-2021 season, which is only five years away.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
The cap is already supposed to be affected next year after the 1.2 billion dollar deal with the MLBAM and the digital deal.

But you know as well as I do, the posters here are a lot smarter than most NHL front offices.

I know the Blackhawks are one of the best teams in the NHL at manipulating the salary cap. Until proven otherwise, I am going to trust that this is best for the long term.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
while the hawks plan is to tie up the main core. well good for that. but he has been overpaying in some way or another.

huge cap hit in the short time, and the length of the contract.

this new info on the break down of the contract, i don't know if this is worst than bickell.

no matter what, a team needs to replenish the team thru natural attrition. use the Philly of the mlb as the perfect example.

That should take about 2 seconds of thought.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)
The cap is already supposed to be affected next year after the 1.2 billion dollar deal with the MLBAM and the digital deal.

But you know as well as I do, the posters here are a lot smarter than most NHL front offices.

i am not trying to be ugly but to continue this discussion,

this is like an old cliche' rob Peter to pay Paul

it is going to catch up. it already caught this team unaware this offseason, we the fans weren't even over the party and the SC hangover when the crap hit the fan.

there is problems with this contract.

QUOTE (LDF @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
ok you asked,

but seriously, i am not taking about bickell the person but his contract. 8 yrs of seabs contract.

Bickell's contract is/was one of worst in NHL. Seabrook earned that deal. He's been really really good in every single cup run.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 29, 2015 -> 05:56 PM)
Bickell's contract is/was one of worst in NHL. Seabrook earned that deal. He's been really really good in every single cup run.

overall i never said he didn't. actually i congratulated him for the contract, until i knew it was for 8 yrs.

for me.... and only me, i think it is 3 yr too long.

i know it is me and me only. but dang it, i feel like a dang dog hollowing at the freaking moon.

pls o hockey demigods, let the hawks get rid of bickell.

i keep doing the numbers and i still see Kyle Baun as being a finalist to making the team. which i am extremely happy about. i am still trying to figure where this kid came out of and why hardly any press.

but if he does, who else does not make the team, b/c of bickell and his contract.

Seabrook's contract is cheap, by comparison, at the end of the deal. It'll be great for cap floor teams because it'll still count as $6.875 M, but the Blackhawks, or any team that gets him, will be getting a stodgy veteran for $4.5 mil (including signing bonus).

And if Seabrook can stay relatively healthy, I think he'll be a good player well into his 30's. He earned this contract.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
Seabrook's contract is cheap, by comparison, at the end of the deal. It'll be great for cap floor teams because it'll still count as $6.875 M, but the Blackhawks, or any team that gets him, will be getting a stodgy veteran for $4.5 mil (including signing bonus).

And if Seabrook can stay relatively healthy, I think he'll be a good player well into his 30's. He earned this contract.

you do make a nice point, i think that, at least for me, i will not answer for anyone else, the problem is not the money he is getting. but the length of the contract for 8 yrs. i also think that 4 even 5 yrs is a great length.

so i also feels he deserves the monetary raise, but 8 yrs........

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 11:08 AM)
you do make a nice point, i think that, at least for me, i will not answer for anyone else, the problem is not the money he is getting. but the length of the contract for 8 yrs. i also think that 4 even 5 yrs is a great length.

so i also feels he deserves the monetary raise, but 8 yrs........

The cap hit of a 4 or 5 year contract would have been millions more per year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
But the cap hit from 2021-2024 for a 36-39 year old player would have been zero.

Puck Daddy: Regarding that really bad Brent Seabrook extension

So you would be giving up a player from the current roster in all likelihood, in the years when the team has the best chance to win to save for 2021 to 2024.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 06:45 PM)
So you would be giving up a player from the current roster in all likelihood, in the years when the team has the best chance to win to save for 2021 to 2024.

who is to know what the roster will look like. remember even dynasty has a end date. no matter how much we, the fans hates that idea.

being burden with another unmovable contract is all i am talking about. this team will need to find players who can step in in later yrs.

nice point tho.