2015-16 NHL thread

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
very true to some extents. overpaying is not a case.

i keep coming back to the phillies run and how they tried to keep everyone together. then their run is over and they were laden with some unmovable contracts.

i like the improvement thru attrition philosophy .....

With that philosophy Toews and Kane would be wearing other jerseys this year.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
There is one team in the NHL that has made the playoffs for more than 10 years straight.

There is one team in the NBA that has made the playoffs for more than 10 years straight.

There are 0 MLB teams that have made the playoffs for 10 years straight.

Franchises go through down times. It WILL happen to the Hawks. They have already won three cups. Keep this core intact for as long as you can, and you figure out what happens when it ends. Because it will.

all true but lets not the team maneuver themselves to where it will happen sooner b/c of salary cap restrictions. let the team have flexibility to continue to improve while winning championships.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 08:52 PM)
With that philosophy Toews and Kane would be wearing other jerseys this year.

if you want to take that out of this whole conversation, then so be it. i can dispute that which is what you derived from this.

there is always going to be exceptions to the rule. anyway we are not talking about toews and kane we are discussion seabs and his contract. 2 different subjects. it does not over lap.

this time i am done.

it was a nice discussion.

peace.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
if you want to take that out of this whole conversation, then so be it. i can dispute that which is what you derived from this.

there is always going to be exceptions to the rule. anyway we are not talking about toews and kane we are discussion seabs and his contract. 2 different subjects. it does not over lap.

this time i am done.

it was a nice discussion.

peace.

Toews and Kane were exactly where Seabrook is this year, and that is one year away from free agency when they signed 8 year deals.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)
Toews and Kane were exactly where Seabrook is this year, and that is one year away from free agency when they signed 8 year deals.

Patrick Kane - 25 years old when signed

Jonathan Toews - 26 years old when signed

Brent Seabrook - 30 years old When signed

Those 4-5 years make a HUGE difference

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
all true but lets not the team maneuver themselves to where it will happen sooner b/c of salary cap restrictions. let the team have flexibility to continue to improve while winning championships.

A couple of things...

1) You have Duncan Keith on a long contract and while he's not hurting for money, he is UNDERPAID considering he's a Norris winner, 3x SC winner and Olympic gold medal winner.

2) Stanbo has done some of what you have said, by dealing Saad, who is young, but wanted too much money, and he got one serviceable player in Anisimov and one young up-and-comer, Dano.

3) He has also signed players out of college or with overseas pro experience that aren't raw, in Teravainen, TVR and Panarin.

4) On Seabrook, at the end of the deal, let's say the last 3-4 years, his contract IS tradeable. Because teams near the salary cap floor may need to get cap compliant, BUT, they won't have to ACTUALLY pay Seabrook the $6.75 M (or whatever it is, I can't remember the actual cap number). AND if the Blackhawks wanted to sweeten the deal, it's less for the Blackhawks to send to cover even 50% of his salary. So the CAP HIT will be the $6.75M, but the actual SALARY will be closer to $4M.

5) Seabrook has earned this contract. Every last dollar.

6) Regarding the bolded above, that doesn't work. Just ask the White Sox.

But honestly, the Blackhawks have, what, 7 players currently on the roster that have been on the team for all 3 SC (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Bickell, Keith, Seabrook and Hjalmarsson). YOu can include Sharp if you want, just because he won 3. That means 2/3 of the team has turned over. I think the Front Office has done a pretty good job at keeping this team on top.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 08:39 PM)
Patrick Kane - 25 years old when signed

Jonathan Toews - 26 years old when signed

Brent Seabrook - 30 years old When signed

Those 4-5 years make a HUGE difference

I'd argue that in hockey, they don't make much of a difference, as longevity is not as much as an issue as it is in other sports.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 08:18 AM)
I'd argue that in hockey, they don't make much of a difference, as longevity is not as much as an issue as it is in other sports.

From the Puck Daddy article I linked above:

This is a contract that cannot begin to make sense in the real world.

Full stop, it's a terrible idea to sign literally any player until they are 39, simply because even the elite players among the elite players of the world typically do not last that long. Most don't even come close. Since 2007, just 59 defensemen have even made it through to age 35, and that number significantly for each season thereafter. Only 22 have played at least 1,000 minutes at 36 or older. And just 13 at 37. And eight at 38.

When you get down to the end of it, only four defensemen have played at least 1,000 minutes as 39-year-olds in that time.

These numbers will probably go up this season, as a number of older defensemen are still in the league, but this gives you a pretty shocking baseline for how players age. Of the 175 defensemen to play at least 4,000 minutes in the league total since 2007-08, only 2.29 percent went on to play at 39. Therefore, Bowman is gambling that Seabrook falls into, let's say, the 95th percentile in terms of durability.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 10:36 PM)
the hawks lost.... darling in the nets.

i know this is preseason, but i still don't have confidence in darling. but what in hades do i know compared to coach Q.

Darling has looked great this preseason besides last night when they basically threw out the IceHogs team.

Considering how Darling changed his life and after his performance last year in regular season and playoffs, I have confidence in both him and Crawford. He's deserved it, just like the extension he got.

If he does well again this year, could make Crawford and his 6 million cap hit expendable next summer.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 02:38 PM)
Darling has looked great this preseason besides last night when they basically threw out the IceHogs team.

Considering how Darling changed his life and after his performance last year in regular season and playoffs, I have confidence in both him and Crawford. He's deserved it, just like the extension he got.

If he does well again this year, could make Crawford and his 6 million cap hit expendable next summer.

you may be right about darling.

these early games are for the FO and the players who are on the cusp of making it. a litmus test of sorts.

as a fan i needed to know about some players i have been following.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)
From the Puck Daddy article I linked above:

I see your point, but the fact that he makes less and less money as his production will likely decrease makes logical sense. I think he will perform in line with his contract, and his age-39 season will be worth the diminished money he will make.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
I see your point, but the fact that he makes less and less money as his production will likely decrease makes logical sense. I think he will perform in line with his contract, and his age-39 season will be worth the diminished money he will make.

The diminished money doesn't matter, because his cap hit will still be $6.875 million in those seasons.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)
Surprising cut of the day. Marko Dano sent to Rockford, WOW. Baun makes the team over him

i wanted Baun to make it, but i was surprise that he did, esp at the expense of Dano. i wonder if this is that, what 10 games of regular season consideration.

it is going to be interesting in the final cut.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
Also, Bryan Bickell is on waivers.

they finally did it. according to some rumors, stan didn't want to do it, b/c he didn't want to loose bickell.

why??? i just don't know what he see in him. i bet he goes unclaimed..... if he does, can the hawks bury him in the minors???

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 05:10 PM)
Wow, that is big news.

But with that said, while I haven't watched really any preseason, it could be good to give Dano a little bit of a wake up call, just because you were penciled in to play with Toews and Hossa, you have to earn it. See how he enjoys riding a bus in the AHL.

While I expect the Hawks to be competitive this year, I'm also looking at it as sort of a development year as well. Not a bad thing.

good idea, but if that is the case, then call up some of their dman that are on the cusp.... i would imagine there are some.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Wow, that is big news.

But with that said, while I haven't watched really any preseason, it could be good to give Dano a little bit of a wake up call, just because you were penciled in to play with Toews and Hossa, you have to earn it. See how he enjoys riding a bus in the AHL.

While I expect the Hawks to be competitive this year, I'm also looking at it as sort of a development year as well. Not a bad thing.

I could see Dano getting the Teuvo treatment from last year. Didn't make it out of camp last year, spend a month down in Rockford, come up and dominate.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
they finally did it. according to some rumors, stan didn't want to do it, b/c he didn't want to loose bickell.

why??? i just don't know what he see in him. i bet he goes unclaimed..... if he does, can the hawks bury him in the minors???

Yes, they would save 950K in cap.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
I could see Dano getting the Teuvo treatment from last year. Didn't make it out of camp last year, spend a month down in Rockford, come up and dominate.

Yes, they would save 950K in cap.

unless this a ploy to get him to accept a buyout. just fishing.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)
Surprising cut of the day. Marko Dano sent to Rockford, WOW. Baun makes the team over him

It sounds like his two-way contract was the #1 reason why, not a hockey reason.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
Also, Bryan Bickell is on waivers.

Is it worth the $950k in cap savings to keep him in Rockford? You still need a body to replace him in the lineup

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 11:02 AM)

Makes the trade look even worse right now. I expected Dano to make the team based on Bowman talking about him.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)
Makes the trade look even worse right now. I expected Dano to make the team based on Bowman talking about him.

Easy there...he's only 20, same age as Saad when he came up, and if I remember correctly, Saad didn't make the team out of camp either. Although I could be wrong on that one.

This trade can't be graded until everyone's played some games with their new teams. Saad could crap the bed once the real season starts.

Just relax and be glad the horrific White Sox season is over and now we get to watch hockey again!

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Oct 2, 2015 -> 12:31 PM)

This is an incredibly premature judgement when we haven't even played a single second of real hockey yet.