2015-16 NHL thread

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 08:58 AM)
Sharp - Toews - Hossa

Dano - Anisimov - Kane

Panarin - Tuevo - Morin

Shaw - Kruger - ? (Dejardins maybe)

Plus we have the luxury of checking out some of the younger guys to fill in those slots for size etc. The defense is my main concern. Not sure what we are going to line up with there.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
I expect Sharp to be moved still

If they move Bickell then they can keep Sharp. Will be interesting to see what happens. This extension was a bit premature IMO, but I guess they really like the guy for that long term role. Better be alot of clauses in there regarding games played because his brain is jello.

Edited by RockRaines

Plus they could always move Tuevo to wing and bring up Danault to play 4th line center and have Kruger play on the 3rd line.

McNeill and Hartman are two other players who might be options.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 09:24 PM)
Here's my take: Brandon Saad is a guy that I didn't want the Hawks to lose and I really didn't think they would. $6.5 million per is too much for the Hawks to pay though. There are rumors on twitter that Pittsburgh is pissed. They were going to come at him hard tomorrow. Bowman and the Hawks obviously knew that he was getting a sheet that they just couldn't match so they cashed in. They got a nice package considering. These were the Blackhawks 3 options in this case:

1. Trade Saad today which they did.

2. Let him leave as a RFA and get a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick in 2016

3. Match his contract and gut the team further (Kruger, Shaw, possibly Seabrook)

They didn't think Saad was worth that much and I don't blame them. You can't keep everyone. They have Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson and Crawford. They will have to pay Teravainen at some point. This was the smart move today. They will still deal Sharp and Bickell and get themselves some flexibility. It's a salary cap league and this is just the way it is. Also, Stan Bowman has won 3 Stanley Cups as GM of the Blackhawks. When does the man get the benefit of the f***ing doubt? I mean seriously? What does he have to do? I trust what they are doing. Questioning Bowman after 3 cup titles really makes people look dumb.

This is the best post in the string. It needs to be re-read over and over. It boils down to Saad putting the Hawks into a no win situation, and the Hawks making the best of it.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
Plus they could always move Tuevo to wing and bring up Danault to play 4th line center and have Kruger play on the 3rd line.

McNeill and Hartman are two other players who might be options.

Danault is intriguing in that he's supposed to be a nice defensive C that can slot 3-4th line on the cheap. They have some options. If Anisimov continues to be a .5 PPG 2C then we got a steal. If his brain turns to mush then we better hope this contract is written well.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
In what world is Saad worth 6.5 a year? He's 22 and had 53 points last season. If he wants 6.5, that's more than Keith & Hjalmarsson. Columbus can give that to him, but I'm happy the Hawks didn't.

Bowman knew he wasn't going to be back. Instead of appreciating they got a good prospect back (Dano) and a servicable C (Anisimov) back, we're complaining. What would be said had he left for nothing?

In 2013, everyone thought Bickell had to be kept. Bowman did it. Now, everyone's pissed that Bickell hasn't been dealt yet and that Saad is gone, with some of the reason being Bickell's contract.

This team has 3 cups in 6 years. After they lost Ladd, Byfuglien and Eager, we all thought they'd never win again. Relax. Panarin's the real deal and Teuvo is going to be a 65+ pps guy. Oh, & Kane and Toews are 27.

I have no doubt Saad is worth that kind of money on the open market. The problem is the Hawks can't afford to pay it. Heck Columbus is going to give him a huge deal AND dealt 5 bodies (including the pick) to get him. That tells you what he is "worth".

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
It's not damage control. He acquired a 27 year old C that he has always wanted.

who was hurt and played 62 games, who hasn't scored over 15 goals in several yrs.

i am really relief now. wow,

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:07 AM)
This is the best post in the string. It needs to be re-read over and over. It boils down to Saad putting the Hawks into a no win situation, and the Hawks making the best of it.

The Hawks basically got an NHL player that is a first round quality guy in Dano, a solid 2C and some throw ins. More valuable than the picks overall but I hated that we had to send Paliotta to get the throw ins.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
Things aren't being equal though, this trade also saves them several million in potential cap space. They still need to add like 6 players to the roster.

No one is arguing that the Hawks are now a better team without Saad, we would all rather have him. Given the salary cap crunch and the offer sheet deadline, it's understandable why this deal was made though.

Also spot on. The Hawks didn't have much choice here.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 30, 2015 -> 10:16 PM)
Questioning Bowman is crazy though. For some reason people still do this. He had to tear apart the team in 2010 because of Dale Tallon. Everyone said they'd never win again. They won the cup in 2013. In 2013, they had a reshuffle as well. People thought it was over again. Then they won the cup in 2015. The man knows what he is doing and Kane and Toews aren't even 28 years old yet. For all the s***ty sports teams in this city, I'm not going to question the GM of the one that isn't.

As long as the Hawks still have Toews, Kane, and Keith playing at the top of their games, the window is open.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 02:01 PM)
If they move Bickell then they can keep Sharp. Will be interesting to see what happens. This extension was a bit premature IMO, but I guess they really like the guy for that long term role. Better be alot of clauses in there regarding games played because his brain is jello.

the future movement of Bickell, Sharp, Steeger will now be up, i need to see if they actually can make those trade.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 08:33 AM)
Jay Zawaski ‏@JayZawaski670 10m10 minutes ago

Heard from a great source that Saad is absolutely crushed. He didn't think he'd be getting traded. Seems like a lack of comm w/ agent to me.

His agent might of ****** real bad......

Knowing that Saad was saying last week that he might even take a undermarket deal to stay, that actually makes a lot of sense.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:11 AM)
the future movement of Bickell, Sharp, Steeger will now be up, i need to see if they actually can make those trade.

Remember Nick Leddy didn't get moved last year until training camp. I wouldn't hold my breath.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:13 AM)
With the cap expected to finally go up a decent amount, that will be nice.

I've seen they think his presence with Panarin and playing with a solid 2nd line that he will outplay that contract value. We shall see, but on the surface its risky because of his concussion issues. On the other hand we finally have a longer term solution for the 2C position for the first time in forever.

i hate doing what i am about to do, comparing, players.

Saad and Towes, they have close to the similar production.

so would anyone trade Towes and be happy with the rtn ??? if is the same point.

the talent that the hawks have traded. let alone the dman wiho was added.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:17 AM)
I've seen they think his presence with Panarin and playing with a solid 2nd line that he will outplay that contract value. We shall see, but on the surface its risky because of his concussion issues. On the other hand we finally have a longer term solution for the 2C position for the first time in forever.

If he misses a lot of time they can recoup the cap space from Long term IR>

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)

Do not compare Toews and Saad. Saad is a great player, but Toews is the best two way center in the game of hockey. JT is a future Hall of Famer. Saad is a good player, but he is not in that neighborhood.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 02:12 PM)
Knowing that Saad was saying last week that he might even take a undermarket deal to stay, that actually makes a lot of sense.

then why didn't bowman insist on a face to face mtg with the agent and player. JR does that all the time.

so does other owners on other teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
Do not compare Toews and Saad. Saad is a great player, but Toews is the best two way center in the game of hockey. JT is a future Hall of Famer. Saad is a good player, but he is not in that neighborhood.

being equal too, yeah i agree, but he is close with more great yrs ahead of him.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:18 AM)

Stop. Don't compare those two players.