2015-16 NHL thread

Make no mistake, we're not making two mutually exclusive arguments. Yes, Patrick Kane is getting paid market value, however he's still overpaid relative to his contemporaries, but that's all part of the deal. Great players are the most valuable on their bridge contract.

The rest of your post is spot on. While everyone is so happy that Panarin is outpacing Saad and Sharp in their new homes, the fact is, the Blackhawks are out two solid forward pieces. The first line looks pretty weak post-Saad. There's no surprise Q is trying to shift the lines.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
Make no mistake, we're not making two mutually exclusive arguments. Yes, Patrick Kane is getting paid market value, however he's still overpaid relative to his contemporaries, but that's all part of the deal. Great players are the most valuable on their bridge contract.

The rest of your post is spot on. While everyone is so happy that Panarin is outpacing Saad and Sharp in their new homes, the fact is, the Blackhawks are out two solid forward pieces. The first line looks pretty weak post-Saad. There's no surprise Q is trying to shift the lines.

i truly see your point but no matter what, i guess we will always disagree on this part.

btw, excellent counter excellent post. really nice. :cheers

Every team goes through this, but apparently there is a real economic impact on the value of free agents in the NHL. The weak Canadian dollar is causing a plateau in the salary cap. As a result, it would appear potential free agents may be forced to sign with their own teams.

http://www.startribune.com/nhl-short-takes/349149601/

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 06:56 PM)
Every team goes through this, but apparently there is a real economic impact on the value of free agents in the NHL. The weak Canadian dollar is causing a plateau in the salary cap. As a result, it would appear potential free agents may be forced to sign with their own teams.

http://www.startribune.com/nhl-short-takes/349149601/

i have heard that for a long time coming from the nhl sites. i don't believe it. what i believe is the fa's and the hard cap is a harsh reality and there is no loop holes to work around it.

such as if the org made a bad signing, they can bury there mistake in the minors if they can't trade him. they can't take his salary off the team cap restrictions. as an example, bickell, they could send him and his 4.5 mil to rockford. however the hawks cap penalty will a 3.2 +/- cap hit while saving only 1.2 +/- ....

can you imagine how much more the hawks can do with an additional 3.2 mil added to there cap??? some extra trades to help the team of fix this team?? now the team has to use its minor league system early. much earlier then Q would have.... but now that is another whole story on Q and his preferences to used experience players over young gifted talent.

Edited by LDF

i really have a micro rant here....

i really hate this ... this time of not being able to make any player movement. i don't know if the league is waiting for the xmas holidays or SB is not calling anyone.

now if i have to guess which, i would say, SB knows a trade is needed and there are a handful of teams who need to trade for and to get of a player.

damn the hawks and their..... i don't know how to say this, but damn them for winning 2 SC's. now no team out there really wants to play nice -nice and help the hawks win possible another SC.

:fight :angry: :fight

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 22, 2015 -> 08:29 AM)

Anisomov has been outstanding this season though, so it does balance it out a little bit. We definitely miss Saad more than we miss Sharp.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
Anisomov has been outstanding this season though, so it does balance it out a little bit. We definitely miss Saad more than we miss Sharp.

The second line with Anisimov is one of the best in the game right now and hes a large part of it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
The second line with Anisimov is one of the best in the game right now and hes a large part of it.

you do make a good point, my question is more rhetorical in this sense.

AA line and #2 line is all done by 2 key players, Kane and Panarin. now the question, would the hawks have had the success if another center was there???

does sacrificing the success of line 1 was worth the indecision of giving Saad and did the expectation of Dano was unrealistic.....

yes to all.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
you do make a good point, my question is more rhetorical in this sense.

AA line and #2 line is all done by 2 key players, Kane and Panarin. now the question, would the hawks have had the success if another center was there???

does sacrificing the success of line 1 was worth the indecision of giving Saad and did the expectation of Dano was unrealistic.....

yes to all.

Disagree. Kane with Anisomov has taken his game to another level. Richards or Handzus were never the net front presence that AA has. Richards or Handzus never had the speed that AA has. I think Anisomov has better play making ability than both of them as well. AA is a true #2 center.

Dano is 20 years old. It's kind of unfair that we expected that Dano would replace Saad's production right away. Teuvo struggled his first year. It happens. It's the potential and skill that Dano displayed last year with Columbus that we expected right away. Just didn't happen with a different and more complex system with the Hawks.

With that said, I think Dano should get sent down and Bickell back up. Dano has no business being on the 4th line getting 5-6 minutes a night. Have him play on the 1st-2nd line in Rockford and get more acquainted with the system the Hawks play.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 04:23 PM)
Disagree. Kane with Anisomov has taken his game to another level. Richards or Handzus were never the net front presence that AA has. Richards or Handzus never had the speed that AA has. I think Anisomov has better play making ability than both of them as well. AA is a true #2 center.

Dano is 20 years old. It's kind of unfair that we expected that Dano would replace Saad's production right away. Teuvo struggled his first year. It happens. It's the potential and skill that Dano displayed last year with Columbus that we expected right away. Just didn't happen with a different and more complex system with the Hawks.

With that said, I think Dano should get sent down and Bickell back up. Dano has no business being on the 4th line getting 5-6 minutes a night. Have him play on the 1st-2nd line in Rockford and get more acquainted with the system the Hawks play.

i think alot of the arguments against my rant was in defense of what you just outline on dano ...

but i will go on this counter, the second line was and is b/c of the resurgence of Kane and Panarin. they are the reason why that 2 line if doing fantastic. accept it that is the main reason.

i agree with Dano, maybe a another yr in minors unless he too will ask for a trade.

now the hawks have 4.5 mil on bickell and 3.3 on daley to get off the books.

oh btw, asking bickell or stating that he needs to be brought up, it would not work with ref to salary cap. do the math.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 10:50 AM)
i think alot of the arguments against my rant was in defense of what you just outline on dano ...

but i will go on this counter, the second line was and is b/c of the resurgence of Kane and Panarin. they are the reason why that 2 line if doing fantastic. accept it that is the main reason.

i agree with Dano, maybe a another yr in minors unless he too will ask for a trade.

now the hawks have 4.5 mil on bickell and 3.3 on daley to get off the books.

oh btw, asking bickell or stating that he needs to be brought up, it would not work with ref to salary cap. do the math.

Yes it will because by sending him down only relieved 950K from the cap, so calling him back up and sending Dano down will be a 200K difference.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)
Yes it will because by sending him down only relieved 950K from the cap, so calling him back up and sending Dano down will be a 200K difference.

without getting snarky

here it is.

as of today

~~ cap space - +39,040

~~ dano down - 925,000

~~ bickell up - 4.5 mil

difference --- you tell me.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 07:07 PM)
Honestly, Panarin-Anisimov-Kane has outperformed Insert Player Here-Toews-Hossa.

as a full line in comparison, with out a doubt, i agree.

the hawks need someone who can take that lw....

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 12:18 PM)
without getting snarky

here it is.

as of today

~~ cap space - +39,040

~~ dano down - 925,000

~~ bickell up - 4.5 mil

difference --- you tell me.

"The Hawks can only save $950,000 against the salary cap by sending Bickell to Rockford, and Dano makes $925,000, so the move is pretty much a wash in that regard."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2015110...orts/151109857/

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 06:26 PM)
"The Hawks can only save $950,000 against the salary cap by sending Bickell to Rockford, and Dano makes $925,000, so the move is pretty much a wash in that regard."

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2015110...orts/151109857/

and that is the little math i knew i was screwing up on.... that was why i didn't put my foot in my mouth further.

i was wrong.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 06:23 PM)

beside my screw up on my math skills, the point is bringing up bickell is a sad repitition of even a worst case of a failed player.

the player is 30 yrs old and needs to get motivated to play better, to get his head into the game or even to do his job, etc .... how many times a refresher is needed??

someone as, Q once said, has all the talent to do something in the nhl is lazy and can not do his job, except for when his contract yr and his performance in the playoff. one of the biggest problem i have with SB is he can not really judge talent in which he needs to give out contracts. some of them been really too long.

Bicker reminds me of Tyler Arnason of the hawks, i remember a rant that foley went off on him for being extremely talented but another one who was lazy... a short career as a hawk and his career in the nhl. (can't find youtube)

but the point is, how can he needs to wake up call. he is a vet who gets paid a lot.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 23, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
Honestly, Panarin-Anisimov-Kane has outperformed Insert Player Here-Toews-Hossa.

Panarin-Anisimov-Kane has outperformed all the lines by a long shot. It's a side effect of the salary cap. Role players either get younger or worse or both. So far, I want to believe it's just that role players are now younger and Hossa is just older, but I'm just not sure.

It's hard to believe, but the Blackhawks are a one line team.

i am bored, no movement on the sox part, this circus trip seems to be more boring, that that is my point.

as the season is getting longer and longer, the nhl is still playing the same amount of games.

i am wondering it the powers to be from both the nhl and the players union have thought, maybe it is time to go with a 100 season and maybe tighten up the playoff. meaning 16 team makes the playoff. knock that down to 12.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)
i am bored, no movement on the sox part, this circus trip seems to be more boring, that that is my point.

as the season is getting longer and longer, the nhl is still playing the same amount of games.

i am wondering it the powers to be from both the nhl and the players union have thought, maybe it is time to go with a 100 season and maybe tighten up the playoff. meaning 16 team makes the playoff. knock that down to 12.

I don't see them doing it. Playoff appearance (theoretically) strengthen fanbases. Also, I think the PU wants to protect the players at all costs.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 09:25 AM)

That will never happen. That means 4 teams (2 from each conference) would receive byes. With a potential 7 games series, and how much the players bodies already take a beating, whoever has byes have a clear advantage. Hockey isn't like football.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:29 AM)
I don't see them doing it. Playoff appearance (theoretically) strengthen fanbases. Also, I think the PU wants to protect the players at all costs.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:41 AM)
That will never happen. That means 4 teams (2 from each conference) would receive byes. With a potential 7 games series, and how much the players bodies already take a beating, whoever has byes have a clear advantage. Hockey isn't like football.

you both make great points, remember it was an idea.

but let me further explain, the profit level of the nhl team are very close to each other, there is really no team that make an abundance more, maybe in local advertising.

the reason why the nhl went to the 16 teams was to help the team make money.... the playoff audience, concessions, advertising, and what ever. then they change the series format going from best of 5 in the early rounds to what it is now, for the maxing the money. also spreading the season longer so they will be able to reap the cost of adv even more.

now going to a longer season... meaning more games, it will help, also it will mean more money to max the 12 games dues to raising the cost of adv..... so with the popularity of the nhl, and what the hawks mean for the nhl success, strike while the iron is hot.... while the hawks still have that great core of players.