Cardinals interested in LaRoche?

GGajewski18

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 05:07 PM)
I believe it was Rosenthal that mentioned it, but I'm positive this was mentioned, I just can't find anything on it right now. But with Matt Adams out, and LaRoche's familiarity with the NL, it does make sense.

What would the Cardinals offer?

He's owed $13 million next season. They probably would give very little in return and ask the White Sox to pick up some of next year's salary.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 25, 2015 -> 05:11 PM)
I told you guys all our veteran "name" players will be sought after. Please Sox, dump LaRoche and Melky and Lexi and Robertson and Duke and Shark in a major "do-over" of the past offseason. I'm confident Hahn will get it right this time.

If the White Sox are able to trade Melky Cabrera, Lexi, LaRoche and Robertson, it's because the White Sox have agreed to pay some of their remaining money.

There is no great demand for underachieving veterans who are making coin.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
He's owed $13 million next season. They probably would give very little in return and ask the White Sox to pick up some of next year's salary.

Well, they are sitting at 98% odds of making the playoffs without him...

And they have foregone making big in-season moves before in order to preserve their younger core of pitchers for future years. The Tavares death hurts them a lot in this area of depth, as well. Maybe Piscotty is available, or a low-level minor leaguer.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 06:58 PM)
If the White Sox are able to trade Melky Cabrera, Lexi, LaRoche and Robertson, it's because the White Sox have agreed to pay some of their remaining money.

There is no great demand for underachieving veterans who are making coin.

I still think the bolded 2 are movable with their current contracts. I don't think we'll get much back, esp. if Robertson keeps sucking, but those contracts are moveable and there's no reason not to. A rebuilding team doesn't need a veteran DH or an expensive closer.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jun 26, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
This team isn't suppose to be this bad on paper. So what is the problem? Unfortunately holes can't be filled unless the can convert all of these pitchers they keep drafting into catcher, 3B or whatever.

It was bad on paper though. Most sites predicted we'd be bad. The biggest indictment of Hahn is that he built one of the worst defensive teams I can ever recall. He did this despite knowing this team's strength would be pitching. Hahn has been garbage. Fire Hahn, KW, Bell...hell, fire everybody and start over.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
It was bad on paper though. Most sites predicted we'd be bad. The biggest indictment of Hahn is that he built one of the worst defensive teams I can ever recall. He did this despite knowing this team's strength would be pitching. Hahn has been garbage. Fire Hahn, KW, Bell...hell, fire everybody and start over.

Pretty obvious over the last few weeks that Hahn isn't actually calling the shots

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 10:55 AM)
Pretty obvious over the last few weeks that Hahn isn't actually calling the shots

This isn't really true. He built the team. He and ideas. Pitched those ideas to Kenny and then they went forward. Hahn talked about wanting Melky and speaking to the agent. Then he Reinsdorf gave him the go ahead. Rick Hahn isn't a puppet or he wouldn't have taken the job. He does have a boss though. That would be Kenny Williams.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 11:01 AM)
We don't know what's going on there with Kenny and Hahn. That's part of the problem.

I know one thing for a fact- Kenny has to go. It's time.

I think in the big picture it is really obvious what the organizational structure is. Rick is 100% on board with what Kenny and Jerry want done here, or he wouldn't have taken our GM job in the first place, and he wouldn't have turned down all of the other organizations who wanted to interview him. I don't get what the trend is here to try to separate Kenny and Rick, but if they weren't on the same page, at least one of them would not be here.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
This isn't really true. He built the team. He and ideas. Pitched those ideas to Kenny and then they went forward. Hahn talked about wanting Melky and speaking to the agent. Then he Reinsdorf gave him the go ahead. Rick Hahn isn't a puppet or he wouldn't have taken the job. He does have a boss though. That would be Kenny Williams.

I think it's more of Ken Williams' ideas and Hahn went out and executed those ideas.

Too much Williams' M.O. on the last offseason. Entirely Williams' M.O. really.

If Hahn was making all of the decisions, we'd see him move in his own direction...this offseason was the same kind of moves Williams' has been making for years.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
I think it's more of Ken Williams' ideas and Hahn went out and executed those ideas.

Too much Williams' M.O. on the last offseason .

I don't know if Rick is 100% on board or not. He is a GM - who's going to turn that down? So he had to make a few moves that he wouldn't have done had he been in charge...that won't cause someone to resign.

Still, he's been with Williams a long time and so there is some level of agreement between the 2.

For sure, Williams needs to go. If Hahn is a casualty, so be it.

I disagree. He turned down GM jobs in other spots that didn't give him autonomy. There's no way he took this one without actually being the GM.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
I disagree. He turned down GM jobs in other spots that didn't give him autonomy. There's no way he took this one without actually being the GM.

But maybe he took it on a lesser level, BECAUSE it was the White Sox. He has those working relationships, so he took the title and the pay raise. It was something he could do for the Sox, but not Team X.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
I think in the big picture it is really obvious what the organizational structure is. Rick is 100% on board with what Kenny and Jerry want done here, or he wouldn't have taken our GM job in the first place, and he wouldn't have turned down all of the other organizations who wanted to interview him. I don't get what the trend is here to try to separate Kenny and Rick, but if they weren't on the same page, at least one of them would not be here.

They were all singing a different tune when they liked the moves in the offseason. Personally, I didn't like anything aside from the Laroche signing.

If Hahn was making all of the decisions, we'd see him move in his own direction...this offseason was the same kind of moves Williams' has been making for years.

If this is true, you have to fire Hahn as well. Why would you want a person to run your organization who was stupid enough to turn down other GM jobs to take a job where he had no power. If he willingly took a job where KW was calling the shots, I don't want him in my organization.

Hahn would need to be a complete idiot to take that job.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 29, 2015 -> 11:17 AM)
They were all singing a different tune when they liked the moves in the offseason. Personally, I didn't like anything aside from the Laroche signing.

As a fan, it's good to be optimistic when new players are acquired. We don't see their warts everyday, but you hope Sale and Abreu get teammates that are good enough to be a top 5 team.

Now that this season has gone to hell, fans aren't going to give that same benefit of the doubt. There has never been a better time in the last 10 years to make huge changes at the executive level, the coaching staff, and player personnel. It's time to face facts-- incompetence in the Sox organization is rampant.