More evidence of Chicago media turning on Ventura

caulfield12

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 6, 2015 -> 11:24 AM)
So here's one that drives me nuts yesterday.

When commenting on the defense, people will note that the White Sox simply don't have good defenders and nothing the manager or coaching staff can do will change that.

Here's an example of where this hits the coaching staff and organization. First inning yesterday, ground ball to the left side, Gillaspie has to move a good distance to get to the ball and he misses it. It wasn't an impossible play, it wasn't an easy play, but he was given an error on it. He's not a great defender so he might make that play some fraction of the time and miss that play some fraction of the time, maybe 50/50, 75/25, who knows. Even if he practiced it every single day there's so many little differences in every hop that he's still going to miss that one sometimes. Fine. He's not a great defender and that's not on the coaching staff.

Gillaspie then becomes an idiot. After missing the ball, he picks it up and rifles it as fast and as hard as he can in the direction of 1b without setting. Even if he made a perfect throw he wasn't going to get the runner. This was a completely stupid throw. There were probably 5 year olds in the stadium who have seen enough baseball to know that ball was ticketed for the dugout, and of course, the runner goes to 2nd on the play. Gillaspie gets the 2nd error on the play, runner scores a few batters later.

The first one? Fine, Gillaspie just physically could not make that play every time and the coaching staff can't change that. The 2nd part? How on Earth can a player not know to stick that ball in their pocket and take the error rather than making things worse?

That's what I mean when I say there's a difference between being weak defensively and what we see with this team: sloppy, stupid, poorly coached, and poorly prepared. We could be weak defensively, have weak defenders, guys who don't have good range, but we could at least be smart about it. Instead we have the guy who decides that he needs to be the hero and make an inhuman play and it ends up giving up a free run.

Jones doubled the next AB, then Davis walked, then a flyball to CF. The runner being on 2nd or 1B, didn't really matter much as if the same things occurred, would have scored anyway. The BP write up on Conor before he was acquired ripped on his throwing from 3B to 1B. Considering he came up through the SF Giant organization, and they supposedly know what they are doing and couldn't put a halt to it shows something. The throw was ill advised because the runner would have been safe to begin with, however, I bet you given the exact same conditions, every 3B in the major leagues makes the throw. It wasn't like he would have been safe by 2 or 3 steps.

Edited by Dick Allen

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really down on Robin after today's game and this series. You guys that despise Ozzie ... he never would be this laid back in search of getting back in the race.

Robin doesn't pitch Robertson. WTF with that? Four innings to Jennings? Robin basically conceded ANOTHER game. No urgency with this guy or this team. Letting Jennings pitch another inning was suicide for the White Sox team on Saturday.

Robin also pitches Danks and Shark in the DH instead of Sale/Shark. No sense of urgency to tell the Royals "for once we are going to f***ing kick your ass." They save Sale for "another day."

Very sad. This team has no competitiveness and it starts with Robin. You guys asked to get rid of one guy who would go down screaming/fighting/clawing if the Royals came to town and he was in charge: Ozwald Guillen!!!!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 01:33 AM)
I'm really down on Robin after today's game and this series. You guys that despise Ozzie ... he never would be this laid back in search of getting back in the race.

Robin doesn't pitch Robertson. WTF with that? Four innings to Jennings? Robin basically conceded ANOTHER game. No urgency with this guy or this team. Letting Jennings pitch another inning was suicide for the White Sox team on Saturday.

Robin also pitches Danks and Shark in the DH instead of Sale/Shark. No sense of urgency to tell the Royals "for once we are going to f***ing kick your ass." They save Sale for "another day."

Very sad. This team has no competitiveness and it starts with Robin. You guys asked to get rid of one guy who would go down screaming/fighting/clawing if the Royals came to town and he was in charge: Ozwald Guillen!!!!

2007, 2011

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 07:33 AM)

Danks was just awful on Friday. He really came close to giving up a run.

What's the difference between pitching Sale the DH and today? Robin is completely different than Ozzie. We all know that. It doesn't mean he doesn't care. He isn't going to embarrass himself the way Ozzie did at times. You can bash Robin for pitching Danks in the DH but he won. He pitches well against the Royals. We have Sale today, and if Shark pitched like he should have and won Friday then we'd be talking about taking 3 of 4 today with Sale pitching.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
What's the difference between pitching Sale the DH and today? Robin is completely different than Ozzie. We all know that. It doesn't mean he doesn't care. He isn't going to embarrass himself the way Ozzie did at times. You can bash Robin for pitching Danks in the DH but he won. He pitches well against the Royals. We have Sale today, and if Shark pitched like he should have and won Friday then we'd be talking about taking 3 of 4 today with Sale pitching.

whether pitching sale on fri (dh) or sun, i would like to add throw sat in there. sale is going to see the royals. me, i had no problem with sale not pitching fri, i think i would strike while the iron was hot and have sale pitched on sat. if sale pitched on sat and won, the monkey would be on kc to win on sun. adding more pressure and a pos of a nice run for the sox.

Lol remember when you went on a tangent about Robin running out of pitchers? What would your response have been had Robertson came in and the Sox failed to score for an inning or 2?.You would have b****ed about that too.

And Lol at complaining about the order of the rotation. What does it matter if Sale pitches Friday or Sunday? He still pitches against the Royals.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
whether pitching sale on fri (dh) or sun, i would like to add throw sat in there. sale is going to see the royals. me, i had no problem with sale not pitching fri, i think i would strike while the iron was hot and have sale pitched on sat. if sale pitched on sat and won, the monkey would be on kc to win on sun. adding more pressure and a pos of a nice run for the sox.

Meh, Shark needed to set the tone. He's been pitching well. He wants a $100 million dollar contract, so he needs to prove it. This team isn't capable of a real "run." The offense and defense won't allow it. We've been playing better lately, but they're not for real.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 05:09 PM)
Meh, Shark needed to set the tone. He's been pitching well. He wants a $100 million dollar contract, so he needs to prove it. This team isn't capable of a real "run." The offense and defense won't allow it. We've been playing better lately, but they're not for real.

don't get me wrong..... i will agree with that. but i still not following RV logic of pitching shark followed by danks.

i can see sale, followed by shark, q, and then danks....

if the team wanted to set the tone, this is the way to do it.

but then again, what the in hades do i know.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
Apologies if posted elsewhere, but apparently nothing wrong with Robertson yesterday, just another brilliant attempt at strategy by RV. Dude's in a league of his own.

http://www.southsidesox.com/2015/7/19/8999...david-robertson

Too bad he didn't do us a solid Sandberg and bow at the ASB.

Robin is a hell of a good guy.

Not a major league manager... not even close.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 04:42 PM)

I preferred sending a rested Sale out there in Game One of the series to maybe shut them out and show the Royals we finally came to play some ball against a team that owns us. Not saying it 100 percent would have worked. For competition sake I wanted Sale/Shark.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
Lol remember when you went on a tangent about Robin running out of pitchers? What would your response have been had Robertson came in and the Sox failed to score for an inning or 2?.You would have b****ed about that too.

And Lol at complaining about the order of the rotation. What does it matter if Sale pitches Friday or Sunday? He still pitches against the Royals.

I'd have been furious if he ran out of pitchers of course. But I feel like he conceded the game anyway leaving Jennings in there a fourth inning.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 03:29 PM)
I preferred sending a rested Sale out there in Game One of the series to maybe shut them out and show the Royals we finally came to play some ball against a team that owns us. Not saying it 100 percent would have worked. For competition sake I wanted Sale/Shark.

The irony of course is that so far Danks put up the best outing of any of the starters and is on pace to have the only win.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)

Made me think back to Manuel and the time he skipped Buehrle when we could have swept the Yankees...I think it was on the road, too. Cotts of course got bombed and the forward momentum was emergency-braked.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Made me think back to Manuel and the time he skipped Buehrle when we could have swept the Yankees...I think it was on the road, too. Cotts of course got bombed and the forward momentum was emergency-braked.

Momentum in baseball? GTFOH. Momentum is the next day's starting pitcher

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
Momentum in baseball? GTFOH. Momentum is the next day's starting pitcher

Then I hope you pop up and disagree every time we hear...."Well, the White Sox could have made a legitimate run at the second wild card....were winners of 9/12, etc., but the All-Star Break came at the most inopportune moment."

At any rate, those who witnessed the Jose Paniagua disaster in 2003 might disagree about the Twins seizing momentum from that game on...that was the last victory of the season series, I think. Maybe one more win the final weekend or so when the playoff picture was already decided.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 12:08 AM)
Then I hope you pop up and disagree every time we hear...."Well, the White Sox could have made a legitimate run at the second wild card....were winners of 9/12, etc., but the All-Star Break came at the most inopportune moment."

At any rate, those who witnessed the Jose Paniagua disaster in 2003 might disagree about the Twins seizing momentum from that game on...that was the last victory of the season series, I think. Maybe one more win the final weekend or so when the playoff picture was already decided.

Jose Paniagua legend was the biggest piece of BS ever. The only game he appeared in, the White Sox won.

Next time the Sox are down 10 and score 4 runs against a team's worst pitcher in garbage time, let's see if anyone talks momentum. It was ludicrous.

Who can explain why almost every single White Sox team since 2000 has played poorly in August and September...?

If we're not calling it momentum....either out of spring training or at the end of the year, what phrase should we use? Lack of focus, discipline, preparation, etc.?

Or consistently in the first inning this year?

Bad luck....umpires still hate the Sox because of Ozzie? The talent sucks but Hahn's doing a simply splendid job in a competing, theoretical universe that we just can't see with our own eyes?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 06:12 AM)
Who can explain why almost every single White Sox team since 2000 has played poorly in August and September...?

If we're not calling it momentum....either out of spring training or at the end of the year, what phrase should we use? Lack of focus, discipline, preparation, etc.?

Bad luck....umpires still hate the Sox because of Ozzie? The talent sucks but Hahn's doing a simply splendid job in a competing, theoretical universe that we just can't see with our own eyes?

2001: 32-26 (.552)

2002: 30-24 (.556)

2003: 29-25 (.537)

2004: 31-30 (.508)

2005: 31-28 (.525)

I think you mean since 2006? The early 2000 teams played over .500 ball in August/Sepetmber/October.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:28 AM)

I think you mean since 2006? The early 2000 teams played over .500 ball in August/Sepetmber/October.

One to six over .500 is not playing well when you're competing for the division. They slow down and get "tired" arms and malaise quite often.

2005 was 68-35 (.661) April-July.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 06:28 AM)

In comparison to their records in June/July/early August (2003) and April-early August (2005), those records are quite disappointing....

2001 is one of the few exceptions, when we started 14-29...but that team also peaked in July/August after fighting so hard to get back to the .500 mark.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 05:12 AM)

Mental weakness and getting players from losing organizations. They are more unclutch than clutch. Players from losing organizations go through the motions playing out the last two months.