Chris Sale is the most bestest pitcher evar!

Rowand44

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 03:37 PM)
Too many bad starts. Those back-to-back 7 run starts were killers. He'd need to finish the season on another crazy run to have any shot.

If anyone can do it, it's Chris Sale.

I legitimately think he can break 20 Ks in a game. If he does that, I can see him taking the Cy Young.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2015 -> 01:34 PM)
Daren Willman ‏@darenw 4h4 hours ago

Most swing & misses in a game this year

Kershaw 30

Carrasco 30

Sale 28

Scherzer 27

Hamels 27

Sale 26

Sale 26

Sale 26

Bumgarner 26

And if that list was most games with 25 or more swings and misses Sale is near the top if not on top. No idea how to find a list like that but I know it exists.

1st has to be Keuchel right now. Even if Sale goes the distance today he'll have a double-digit lead in IP, and isn't that far away in FIP (2.72 to 2.40) or fWAR (5.2 to 5.0) and has an almost 1 run lead on Sale in ERA. If Sale can get his ERA below 3 I'd put him 2nd over Gray, but he'll have to do a lot to beat out Keuchel.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 20, 2015 -> 10:52 PM)
If only the voters valued FIP.

I think ERA should be valued more than FIP for the Cy Young. It's an award for the results on the field over the past year. If you had some bad luck on balls hit into play, sorry, but you should be judged on what happened, not what should have happened.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 10:33 AM)
I think ERA should be valued more than FIP for the Cy Young. It's an award for the results on the field over the past year. If you had some bad luck on balls hit into play, sorry, but you should be judged on what happened, not what should have happened.

I think they should be given roughly equal weight, with maybe a slight advantage to ERA. I've seen way too many "earned unearned runs" given up by Sox pitching this year that I just can't give ERA significantly more weight.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 12:22 PM)
I think they should be given roughly equal weight, with maybe a slight advantage to ERA. I've seen way too many "earned unearned runs" given up by Sox pitching this year that I just can't give ERA significantly more weight.

Although the White Sox defense is particularly bad, if we're comparing Sale's numbers to Sonny Gray or Keuchel, the A's aren't exactly knwon for having a good defense and Houston isn't all that spectacular either. Fangraphs has the White Sox defense 30th, the A's 29th, and Houston 19th.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 10:11 AM)
1st has to be Keuchel right now. Even if Sale goes the distance today he'll have a double-digit lead in IP, and isn't that far away in FIP (2.72 to 2.40) or fWAR (5.2 to 5.0) and has an almost 1 run lead on Sale in ERA. If Sale can get his ERA below 3 I'd put him 2nd over Gray, but he'll have to do a lot to beat out Keuchel.

Keuchel also has two more starts than Sale. That's why he has more innings. Sale missed his first start due to injury and Houston has played more games.

Sale IP/Start = 6.83

Keuchel IP/Start = 7.13

Still more innings for Keuchel, but his 21 extra innings pitched over Sale is clearly a fluke.

With Sale's FIP almost a run lower than his ERA, this year's Cy Young voting will tell us a lot about if voters are noticing the advanced metrics or not. Even if Sale doesn't win, if he beats out Gray or Price despite a big gap in ERA that will tell us a lot.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Am I the only one that thinks that Sale is a lock for the Cy Young if he can somehow get to 300 K's this season?

That feat is so rare in this day in age that I don't know how the voters couldn't give it to him, regardless of his ERA.

On its own, number of Ks should make no difference. You got to take the whole picture into consideration. Right now, he's not winning that award. He's probably not even top-3.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)
On its own, number of Ks should make no difference. You got to take the whole picture into consideration. Right now, he's not winning that award. He's probably not even top-3.

Who's ahead of him? Keuchel, Gray, and Price? Those 3 might be have a better shot than him now, but he's right behind them IMO.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 11:10 AM)
Who's ahead of him? Keuchel, Gray, and Price? Those 3 might be have a better shot than him now, but he's right behind them IMO.

The ESPN predictor has Sale 7th. The list in front of him is kinda neat:

Dallas Keuchel

Sonny Gray

Zach Britton

Luke Gregerson

Mark Buehrle

Chris Archer

Chris Sale

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2015 -> 02:19 PM)
The ESPN predictor has Sale 7th. The list in front of him is kinda neat:

Dallas Keuchel

Sonny Gray

Zach Britton

Luke Gregerson

Mark Buehrle

Chris Archer

Chris Sale

:huh: I'll eat my hat if any of those three finish ahead of Sale. No Price anywhere? How do they figure Gregerson in there at all? His ERA is 3.00 and he's a reliever that's thrown less than 50 innings.