Royals fan/writer wants them to get Quintana

knightni

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They already have 9 starters.

With Ventura as manager instead of Yost, they would have four more victories....

At any rate...

So here's a player who projects to be the same as Jeff Samardzija but without the sticker price of the name. Now, Quintana obviously has longer team control than Shark (who's a free agent in a few months) so you'd have to cough up a bit more for Quintana.

Dumb ass. That last sentence wipes out the whole article.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
Quintana conversation starts with Mondesi + at least 1 of Manaea or Zimmer.

It at least makes sense but for one major problem...Mondesi Jr., is going to be their eventual replacement for Infante at 2b.

For the White Sox, he would play SS.

And that's still arguably one player short....it needs to be someone with more offensive upside than Christian Colon, too.

If Dyson could hit well enough, I would stick him in CF, move Eaton to LF and Cabrera to RF with Avi as DH and LaRoche gone.

We'd get younger and more atletic...with Micah and Mondesi, Dyson and Eaton, the main concerns would be getting more offense from third and catcher. Just not sure Dyson's defense at USCF can offset his lack of pop. It would be like Juan Lagares Lite.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
It at least makes sense but for one major problem...Mondesi Jr., is going to be their eventual replacement for Infante at 2b.

For the White Sox, he would play SS.

And that's still arguably one player short....it needs to be someone with more offensive upside than Christian Colon, too.

If Dyson could hit well enough, I would stick him in CF, move Eaton to LF and Cabrera to RF with Avi as DH and LaRoche gone.

We'd get younger and more atletic...with Micah and Mondesi, Dyson and Eaton, the main concerns would be getting more offense from third and catcher. Just not sure Dyson's defense at USCF can offset his lack of pop. It would be like Juan Lagares Lite.

From the Royals standpoint, to get a young, cost controlled, top half of the rotation lefty, they are going to have to hurt themselves somewhere to do it.

I would sit down with Cooper and go over Zimmer/Manaea/Finnegan. Choose one.

Next, Mondesi, Jr.

Finally, Dyson or Bubba Starling...leaning towards Dyson, would try for both.

Wouldn't really want Colon as we already have seemingly five potential utility infielders.

Or Duffy and Mondesi, Jr., for Quintana.

Change of scenery deal for both pitchers. Coop can fix him, etc.

I'm just not sure with Odorizzi and now Montgomery in Seattle they'll so easily part with more young pitching prospects. We'll see.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
What he doesn't say is what the Royals should give up.

Let me guess: the org's 6th and 7th prospects, with some Rios thrown in.

Jason Frasor/Ryan Madson, Paulo Orlando or Dyson and Christian Colon.

Maybe they'll throw in Medlen or Hochevar, lol.

Was with cubs fan friends this weekend. I mentioned Sale rumors on score. They thought Starlin Castro would get it done.

Then looking at this, very annoying to see the trash people always want to offer for good players.

Probably somehwere in the middle, but starting to feel like the "trash" packages are closer to the truth. Nobody seems to want to give up anything anymore, which makes that Cubs/As smarj trade all the more amazing.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 11:47 AM)
Jason Frasor/Ryan Madson, Paulo Orlando or Dyson and Christian Colon.

Maybe they'll throw in Medlen or Hochevar, lol.

Seriously though, I would try to move Quintana. He's not worth an elite prospect, but something like the Royals' 2, 4 and 5 would work. I think you can get full value for him and lord knows we need young talent infused into this org.

I see Santiago is outpitching Quintana. Not terribly surprising - he just needed to get his walks under control.

Then he should have simply written....by war, he's a top five lefty in all of mlb since 2012, ahead of both Bumgarner and Cubs' "ace" Jon Lester.

The price is going to be a helluva lot higher than a Samardjiza rental...almost to the point where it becomes prohibitive, as Sale and Quintana rank along with Sal Perez as three of the five best contracts in the game for younger players.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 11:49 AM)
Read the comments below the article. He acknowledges that the price would be high and does an impressive job doing so. He's not an idiot.

A package centered around Mondesi and Manaea would be interesting, I think Mondesi will end up being a stud. .700+ OPS in AA as a 19 year old aint bad.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
I would sit down with Cooper and go over Zimmer/Manaea/Finnegan. Choose one.

Next, Mondesi, Jr.

Finally, Dyson or Bubba Starling...leaning towards Dyson, would try for both.

Wouldn't really want Colon as we already have seemingly five potential utility infielders.

Or Duffy and Mondesi, Jr., for Quintana.

Change of scenery deal for both pitchers. Coop can fix him, etc.

I'm just not sure with Odorizzi and now Montgomery in Seattle they'll so easily part with more young pitching prospects. We'll see.

I don't like a package that highlights Mondesi for Q. The Sox need to get 1 prime position player back either a C-SS-CF. Mondesi is KC's number 1 prospect but he is average in AA. So we are trading to hope he plays well in AAA next year. I think the Sox have to get a AAA or ML player who is putting up solid numbers as the first piece in a package.

Now I would take him for Shark but I doubt KC does it.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
Seriously though, I would try to move Quintana. He's not worth an elite prospect, but something like the Royals' 2, 4 and 5 would work. I think you can get full value for him and lord knows we need young talent infused into this org.

I see Santiago is outpitching Quintana. Not terribly surprising - he just needed to get his walks under control.

He's absolutely worth an elite prospect.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
I don't like a package that highlights Mondesi for Q. The Sox need to get 1 prime position player back either a C-SS-CF. Mondesi is KC's number 1 prospect but he is average in AA. So we are trading to hope he plays well in AAA next year. I think the Sox have to get a AAA or ML player who is putting up solid numbers as the first piece in a package.

Now I would take him for Shark but I doubt KC does it.

In my opinion, just as important is getting the right younger pitcher back from those three options.

KC knows with their defense and bullpen, he's going to be a huge stabilizing addition and be comfortable with the veteran Volquez and hopefully another mentor (completely opposite personalities) to Ventura.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
He's absolutely worth an elite prospect.

Everyone see what Samardzija brought back to the Cubs last year? The #7 prospect on the BP list before 2014 as the key part?

Compared to Samardzija at the time of that trade, Quintana is:

Cheaper

Under team control for 4 more seasons at an affordable rate

Younger

Left Handed (nice bonus)

More consistent

Has put up better seasons than Samardzija ever did.

I'm on board for trading everything and then trading everything again and then trading the scraps from that...but if you don't get "Elite prospects" back for him (note the plural) then you don't trade him.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)

With his performance, and his contract, he is worth a top prospect. If not, you keep him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 12:11 PM)
Everyone see what Samardzija brought back to the Cubs last year? The #7 prospect on the BP list before 2014 as the key part?

Cheaper

Younger

Left Handed (nice bonus)

More consistent

I'm on board for trading everything and then trading everything again and then trading the scraps from that...but if you don't get "Elite prospects" back for him (note the plural) then you don't trade him.

This.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
With his performance, and his contract, he is worth a top prospect. If not, you keep him.

Yup. There is no reason to trade Quintana unless you are getting a boat full of good prospects or a surefire 1 or 2 prospects or young major leaguers.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)

Just don't see it.

Top, yes; elite, no.

Getting a top 10 for Shark was just a lucky Cubs fluke.

Of course, I am not overly bullish on Quintana, so that's my bias. (wasn't bullish on Shark either).

he may be statistically worth what you guys suggest; I don't see teams paying that.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
Just don't see it.

Top, yes; elite, no.

Getting a top 10 for Shark was just a lucky Cubs fluke.

Of course, I am not overly bullish on Quintana, so that's my bias. (wasn't bullish on Shark either).

Then we have him under control for 5 more seasons so we can wait for a similar "lucky fluke".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)

Cheaper

Younger

Left Handed (nice bonus)

More consistent

That's why I think the two proposals I have are reasonable.

One top pitching prospect (Zimmer/Manaea/Finnegan)

SS replacement, top positional prospect in Mondesi, Jr.

Dyson to upgrade outfield defense/speed/baserunning

Starling for upside/sweetener/change of scenery

Or Duffy/Mondesi....two positions filled for the price of one, could also include Dyson/Colon/Starling as final piece.

The Royals are unlikely to give up the more proven/expensive Escobar, although you could certainly try...they're clearly not ready to turn SS over to him, preferring he replace Infante for now.

Those might not be what we could have gotten this offseason...his value has come back down to earth just a bit.

Edited by caulfield12