And those are White Sox Winners !

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/pos.../true/minpa/150

Just to make sure we don't get overly excited about Tyler's recent power binge.

Great job pitching out of trouble by Jose Q. in this game. Bullpen was solid and shut the door, got some late offense to put this game to bed before we had to get nervous about Robertson with a one run lead on the road.

First time all season that the Cards have lost two consecutive home games. Weird times when we're 7-1 against two first place teams in the Astros and Cardinals.

And yay, Melky now has Ackley, Joyce and Gomes below him in LF ops.

Edited by caulfield12

there are two categories that bad baseball teams fall under

category A is a team full of players who aren't any good

category B is a team full of average to above average players who are all playing collectively like sh**

The Sox are B

this is why they can beat the best teams in baseball, but then sh** the bed against awful teams

IMO this is clearly a focus/game preparation issue, and that comes down to the coaching staff

i dont care that "these guys are adults" or "these guys are professionals"

in sports, you need to be motivated beyond the paycheck, otherwise the teams with the best players would always have the best records

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)
The Cubs?!

I know you were just joking around but have you ever been to Busch Stadium? About 30 minutes before every game the emcee says "welcome to baseball heaven" in regards to Busch Stadium and St. Louis. Makes me want to puke

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 11:25 PM)
I know you were just joking around but have you ever been to Busch Stadium? About 30 minutes before every game the emcee says "welcome to baseball heaven" in regards to Busch Stadium and St. Louis. Makes me want to puke

One of the few mlb cities I've never been to. I like the Cardinals probably in most part because they're the Cubs main rival. That, and I respect their organization. They're always good! Nice to beat them; too bad it helps the f***ing Cubs out. It does bother me a bit that their fans seem to be a little bit full of themselves.

Great win. The Sox have had some good wins this season, but the minute you say, "Hmmm, could they get to .500?" then do something wacky like get swept in a 4-game series. I'd expect Baltimore and Toronto will spank the Sox pretty good in the Cell.

However, great win tonight. Looked like a big league team. Melky, Eaton, Flowers, 3 of the goats this season had good games to go with Q's masterpiece.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 12:41 AM)
Great win. The Sox have had some good wins this season, but the minute you say, "Hmmm, could they get to .500?" then do something wacky like get swept in a 4-game series. I'd expect Baltimore and Toronto will spank the Sox pretty good in the Cell.

However, great win tonight. Looked like a big league team. Melky, Eaton, Flowers, 3 of the goats this season had good games to go with Q's masterpiece.

You will have quite the dilemma if Sale's Sunday start gets pushed back for an extra day of rest to Monday....

World Armageddon. Buehrle vs. Sale. What happens when the legend of 2005 confronts the current Sox legend? It's like Mike Ditka vs. a sharknado!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 1, 2015 -> 11:44 PM)
You will have quite the dilemma if Sale's Sunday start gets pushed back for an extra day of rest to Monday....

World Armageddon. Buehrle vs. Sale. What happens when the legend of 2005 confronts the current Sox legend? It's like Mike Ditka vs. a sharknado!

That would make for a fun game to watch. Sidenote: Sale was 11 when Mark Buehrle made his major league debut (a game I was at/Maggs had a two HR day incl. a GS. Buehrle mopped up in the 9th for James Baldwin).

QUOTE (Real @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 06:17 AM)
there are two categories that bad baseball teams fall under

category A is a team full of players who aren't any good

category B is a team full of average to above average players who are all playing collectively like sh**

The Sox are B

this is why they can beat the best teams in baseball, but then sh** the bed against awful teams

IMO this is clearly a focus/game preparation issue, and that comes down to the coaching staff

i dont care that "these guys are adults" or "these guys are professionals"

in sports, you need to be motivated beyond the paycheck, otherwise the teams with the best players would always have the best records

Nice post, but I'm not positive B is the answer. I think it's A because the Sox everyday players are pretty s***ty. Good starting pitching though. If this team had bad starting pitching it seriously might lose 110 games.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 07:11 AM)
That would make for a fun game to watch. Sidenote: Sale was 11 when Mark Buehrle made his major league debut (a game I was at/Maggs had a two HR day incl. a GS. Buehrle mopped up in the 9th for James Baldwin).

Buehrle should have no problems shutting down the Sox lineup. Only way he'll struggle is if it's one of those days the Sox are elevating well and they connect for 2 3 or 4 homers in the homer friendly Cell.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 01:15 AM)
Just Jose's second win since May 13th...

Talking about backing up Sale's next start by a day.

Would pitch on Monday instead of Sunday because of heavy workload recently...would be Chris Sale vs. Mark Buehrle Monday.

With those two on the mound, the game could be over in 2 hours.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 12:59 AM)

Just to make sure we don't get overly excited about Tyler's recent power binge.

That link shows me that as meh as Flowers is, he's basically equal to these catchers for which people want to load the wagon with prospects to obtain (just looking at offense; I distrust the defensive metrics).

Flowers sat for three straight games from June 16-18. It seemed to me like the Sox were going to switch and have Soto be the everyday catcher. Maybe that was the wake up call Flowers needed.

Since June 19

.346/.433/.808, 4 HR, 6 RBI, 3 BB, 6 K

The Sox catchers have gotten a lot of grief this year and their wRC+ and fWARs leave something to be desired, but they have provided 11 HRs and 32 RBIs through 76 games.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
That link shows me that as meh as Flowers is, he's basically equal to these catchers for which people want to load the wagon with prospects to obtain (just looking at offense; I distrust the defensive metrics).

Yep, his OPS is now middle of the pack among AL catchers, and it's higher than Jason Castro's, a guy many wanted to pick up. This isn't so much praising Flowers but an indication as to how awful most catchers around baseball are these days.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
Flowers sat for three straight games from June 16-18. It seemed to me like the Sox were going to switch and have Soto be the everyday catcher. Maybe that was the wake up call Flowers needed.

Since June 19

.346/.433/.808, 4 HR, 6 RBI, 3 BB, 6 K

The Sox catchers have gotten a lot of grief this year and their wRC+ and fWARs leave something to be desired, but they have provided 11 HRs and 32 RBIs through 76 games.

Flowers is streaky. The catching position is so thin these days, and with offense dropping off, probably only going to get thinner. Teams are going to want their catchers who can hit to play a different position to keep them healthier and fresher and their bats in line up.

So what is so hard about beating the Cardinals anyway? Signed, not the Cubs.

Doug Padilla ‏@ESPNChiSox 4m4 minutes ago

Some fun numbers from the White Sox's 2-game sweep of the Cards: Only the 2nd time all season the Cards have lost consecutive home games.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 06:44 AM)

Tell me again why the Sox let Mark Buerhle walk?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 03:42 PM)
Tell me again why the Sox let Mark Buerhle walk?

my opinion. the truth of the matter was the asking salary, length of the contract vs his age and possible decline b/c of his age.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 2, 2015 -> 12:17 PM)
Because of your very good friend John Danks

I agree and it made sense at the time to go with John Danks. Little did we know that Danks not only would get hurt, but would get hurt almost immediately upon signing his deal and hurt in such a way that he'd never be anything close to his old self. What's interesting is that he seems to have fared better than other guys who have had capsule tears in the recent past - Johan Santana and Dallas Braden come to mind.