White Sox call up Tyler Saladino

Balta1701

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 11:31 PM)
Beckham may be a better runner. If he is, it's by a margin that isn't a factor. Bonifacio isn't any bit of the hitter that Gillaspie is and shouldn't be batting against righties. Beckham is the one that doesn't make sense unless he's starting. He doesn't hit RHP or LHP well.

This sounds hard for you. You hate Gillaspie and Beckham. I wish neither guy were on the team. I think Davidson probably sucks but I'd like to see: Davidson 3B, Saladino SS, Johnson 2B, and Abreu 1B.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 05:47 PM)
I am sure they are trying to trade Connor as we speak rather than just designating him, but I can't imagine anyone is beating down the door.

Considering they got some moderately interesting names in Blackmar, Chalas and Almonte for Beckham and De Aza, I'm sure they can find an interesting A-ball flyer.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 04:39 AM)
This sounds hard for you. You hate Gillaspie and Beckham. I wish neither guy were on the team. I think Davidson probably sucks but I'd like to see: Davidson 3B, Saladino SS, Johnson 2B, and Abreu 1B.

I was all for Davidson getting a shot a month ago, but he's hit ANOTHER rough patch. He even made two errors tonight. He'll probably be with another team come next year repeating AAA for a 4th season.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 06:10 PM)
I feel like Boni serves more of a purpose. If Saladino is the 3B, connor would be relagated to ph duties only. Not sure that's worth a roster spot, but is have a hard time dfa Connor too.

Bonifacio can't hit or field. We don't need a pinch runner.

Beckham can't hit. How many chances does he get?

Gillaspie had an OPS >.700 last year. Even this year, he's hitting better than every middle infielder except Saladino. I'm sure he's not great in the clubhouse, which shouldn't mean squat except that his team has weak coaching leadershp so maybe it does.

I realize the Sox love utility level talent as per spending $6 million + on this year. But that may be part of the problem.

Edited by GreenSox

Since Conor is out of options, I think he gets DFA'd or DL'd today, clears waivers and gets outrighted to Charlotte. He has become intolerable with the glove, and hasn't hit for a calendar year, so I doubt anyone grabs him. If they do, it probably won't cost the White Sox a world series.

Beckham can't hit, but he can field. Saladino tskes the playing time for now, but chances are he will hit a wall. Bonifacio can fill in as a PR and 5th OF. Conor playin 3B horribly, and 1B covered, with about a .280 OBP the last year with no power is the odd man out. The thing I wonder is would you even want him in Charlotte? Davidson sucks, but at least he hits homers.

I think if they could get a guy that throws 100 but walks 15 per 9 for him they would take it.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 12:01 AM)
I don't hate either, hah. Like I said prior to the year, Beckham is rendered useless when you have Tyler Saladino. Tyler Saladino's TJ recovery was more of an issue than I understood. Now he's recovered, Beckham has been worse than his normal terrible self and he should be gone (not that he should ever been signed as I repeatedly said when he was).

There is validity to this, but if Saladino is like every other White Sox prospect, at some point in the next few weeks, many will wonder what he is doing in the major leagues. Conor hit really well albeit with zero power the first half of last year, has regressed, and defensively, is beyond awful. Bonifacio pinch hits before him now. In an hour or 2 I might be proven wrong, but it sure does seem Gillaspie has played his way off the White Sox roster.

Bonifacio's hit Friday was his second since early June. He has one extra base hit all year. He's alleged to be swift, but is a poor base runner. While Gillaspie's OPS is in the mid .600s , Bonifacios OPS is in the mid .300s. And he only cost the Sox $4 million. That is what is beyond awful.

i am a little confuse on Saladino and his hitting. in the past, in the minors, he really was an inconsistent hitter. last yr being the only yr he hit over 300+.

this yr in the minors, he was hitting 250+. now he is hitting 300+/-. so what kind of hitting can i expect to see if the continues to stay up???

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 08:30 AM)
i am a little confuse on Saladino and his hitting. in the past, in the minors, he really was an inconsistent hitter. last yr being the only yr he hit over 300+.

this yr in the minors, he was hitting 250+. now he is hitting 300+/-. so what kind of hitting can i expect to see if the continues to stay up???

You've pointed out that he is inconsistent. So, he will probably end the year in a slump. Or he continues to hit well the rest of the year. I mean we are due for some good luck aren't? Sooner rather than later hopefully.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 01:45 PM)
You've pointed out that he is inconsistent. So, he will probably end the year in a slump. Or he continues to hit well the rest of the year. I mean we are due for some good luck aren't? Sooner rather than later hopefully.

and i agree, i just don't want to jump in the group of enthusiast fans and when things goes bad, as there is always going to be a recovery period, many will turn against him. and that turn, so to speak becomes really ugly.

i just want to be even keel and see if i am seeing things differently.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 07:30 AM)

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:37 AM)
and i agree, i just don't want to jump in the group of enthusiast fans and when things goes bad, as there is always going to be a recovery period, many will turn against him. and that turn, so to speak becomes really ugly.

Nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone here is claiming him to be great. I'm just eager to watch him the rest of the year.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 08:37 AM)

As usual injuries play a big part in how someone plays. He had 8 months off from Tommy John surgery. The injury occurred when he was having his best season hitting around .310 . He hadn't been much of a hitter before 2014 at AAA so something must've clicked for him. We can see he hits the ball where its pitched and showed a good eye in the minors. So he was rusty and adjusting to his new elbow this year .

Seems to have a pretty good approach but major league staffs will find a weakness and try to exploit it and Tyler's job will be to take some walks while he's tested on his strike zone abilities.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 04:59 PM)
Nothing wrong with that. I don't think anyone here is claiming him to be great. I'm just eager to watch him the rest of the year.

:lol:

i think the sox fo has just done that.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 05:05 PM)
As usual injuries play a big part in how someone plays. He had 8 months off from Tommy John surgery. The injury occurred when he was having his best season hitting around .310 . He hadn't been much of a hitter before 2014 at AAA so something must've clicked for him. We can see he hits the ball where its pitched and showed a good eye in the minors. So he was rusty and adjusting to his new elbow this year .

Seems to have a pretty good approach but major league staffs will find a weakness and try to exploit it and Tyler's job will be to take some walks while he's tested on his strike zone abilities.

pls don't get this wrong, i am not trying to tear him down. i am just wondering if, he might have put all the development together at this time and this is the finished product, and i mean offensively.

Saladino may not be the answer...he probably isn't at 3rd (maybe 2nd or short). But he's the best IF the Sox have right now except for Abreu.

He doesn't seem to have much power, but he does drive the ball a bit, so he's not depending on his doinkers just slithering through the infield.

I don't think Saladino is the answer at 3B either, but he's been impressive in his first few games up. The Sox need all the production they can get out of the position, so they might as well keep him there until he shows he can't do it or a better option comes along. I think he's the Sox long term answer as far as a bench player goes - filling in all over the IF. He certainly doesn't help Sanchez, Boni, or Beckham make their case to stay on the 25-man.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:39 AM)
I don't think Saladino is the answer at 3B either, but he's been impressive in his first few games up. The Sox need all the production they can get out of the position, so they might as well keep him there until he shows he can't do it or a better option comes along. I think he's the Sox long term answer as far as a bench player goes - filling in all over the IF. He certainly doesn't help Sanchez, Boni, or Beckham make their case to stay on the 25-man.

I agree with Saladino not being long term answer anywhere in the infield, but he will make for a very good utility player. Brings a good glove, can hit, and has good speed.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)
I agree with Saladino not being long term answer anywhere in the infield, but he will make for a very good utility player. Brings a good glove, can hit, and has good speed.

I can think of a better utility infielder candidate. He's currently starting at second base and has an OPS around .480