Post All-Star Game Rotation

flavum

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
Danks is a starter in name only and a pretty worthless one at that.

He's still actually tolerable as the #5 starter (0.6 fWAR). The problem is our offense is so bad that we're relying on the starting rotation to all be hall-of-fame caliber and so "tolerable" doesn't get us there.

that plus he's paid way too much for that.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
Very dumb. As much as I do love Danks, I concede that is an automatic loss in Game Two Friday. Why would you throw Danks there?? It makes absolutely no sense.

I agree with the poster. The Sox are basically in a position they have to sweep the Royals or grudgingly win 3 of the 4 to have any shot at contention this season. So why wouldn't you give it your best shot, at home! You go Sale, Shark, Q, Rodon. I worship John Danks but I do concede he is our fifth starter!! This is a no brainer. Fire whoever came up with this decision NOW! Coop, Robin or Hahn. Stupid.

Has there every been anything you didn't overreact to?

i am wavering around here.

1 part of me is saying, the sox can comeback. but the other is saying no, the sox should think of trading shark, if the price is right.

if it is the second, i rather shelf Sale, instead of running him out there to get hurt, or limit him games and innings. should the sox chance sale getting hurt??

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
i am wavering around here.

1 part of me is saying, the sox can comeback. but the other is saying no, the sox should think of trading shark, if the price is right.

if it is the second, i rather shelf Sale, instead of running him out there to get hurt, or limit him games and innings. should the sox chance sale getting hurt??

Pitch Sale. Maybe you give him an outing off later this season, esp. if he gets tired and they're out of it fully, but pitch him.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 09:38 PM)
If they wait til Tuesday for Sale, it will feel like a "really, we'd rather not maintain a charade of competing, and would like to do some selling" kind of move.

I agree. Can any person convince me why it is a good idea to pitch Danks in Game Two of that DH? What you do is go with Shark and Sale and see if just maybe you can stick it up the Royals' backsides and win the DH. Now you are guaranteeing a loss in Game Two and one of their lefties just might connect off Shark. You are right, though. It ultimately is a charade, we don't have the team this year. I did think we might want to go with our top guns one final series to see if we can knock off the Royals and maybe contend for a WC. This is such a dumb move, I do question the common sense of Coop/Robin.

And this is coming from a Danks lover like me. I truly love the guy.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)
I agree. Can any person convince me why it is a good idea to pitch Danks in Game Two of that DH? What you do is go with Shark and Sale and see if just maybe you can stick it up the Royals' backsides and win the DH. Now you are guaranteeing a loss in Game Two and one of their lefties just might connect off Shark. You are right, though. It ultimately is a charade, we don't have the team this year. I did think we might want to go with our top guns one final series to see if we can knock off the Royals and maybe contend for a WC. This is such a dumb move, I do question the common sense of Coop/Robin.

Danks has to pitch at some point though. Who cares if it's Friday night? They want to give Sale extra rest.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 05:37 PM)

Danks will need to pitch one of the games in the series. Why does it matter which one ? Sale will have pitched in the AS game. Give him an extra day or so.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 01:17 AM)
Danks has to pitch at some point though. Who cares if it's Friday night? They want to give Sale extra rest.

I thought it was a four game series. I want Sale, Shark, Q and Rodon.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 02:06 AM)
I thought it was a four game series. I want Sale, Shark, Q and Rodon.

DH Friday. Putting Sale and Shark on the same day means one would lose a days rest.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:38 AM)
espn.com lists Samardzija/Danks for Friday, Quintana for Saturday and TBA for Sunday.

If I were Robin, I'd let Erik Johnson start after Shark on Friday and give Sale the ball on Sunday.

I just don't see how Robin could just give one of these games away by putting in Danks. These are "must win" games, so a Danks should not pitch in this series.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)
If I were Robin, I'd let Erik Johnson start after Shark on Friday and give Sale the ball on Sunday.

I just don't see how Robin could just give one of these games away by putting in Danks. These are "must win" games, so a Danks should not pitch in this series.

Not a bad idea.

Fri: Shark / EJ (26th man)

Sat: Q

Sun: Sale

Tue: Danks

Wed: Rodon (as much rest as possible for blister)

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 09:56 AM)

Sale will have 7 days rest if he pitches Sunday. He didn't pitch in ST.

Why would they?:

a. choose to do such an enormous favor to Ned and the Royals

b. choose now, when there's an outside chance of getting back into semi-contention over the next few weeks, to give him the periodic "extra rest", can't that wait a couple weeks?

UNLESS, they really don't want to face the conundrum and potential white flag-esque bad pub that would undoubtedly happen if they were to reach .500, 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 back for the second WC, and still sold. Similarly, if they choose now to be extra-cautious with Abreu, I'll be suspicious.

Never want to believe that a single game of 162 means too much, but it's just possible that Sunday's 2 hit anemia was the final nail in the org's consideration of competing.

And maybe Sale will start Sunday - should be interesting.

The Sox have the 20th off which could help alot. After the DH on the 17th DFA Boni and make Danks the long man in the pen. If the Sox really want to make a second half run then do what's best for the team and get Danks out of the rotation.

17th- Samardzija/ EJ for DH

18th- Q

19th- Sale

20th- off

21st- Rodon

22nd- Samardzija

23rd- Johnson

24th- Q

25th- Sale

26th- Rodon

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 10:29 AM)
The Sox have the 20th off which could help alot. After the DH on the 17th DFA Boni and make Danks the long man in the pen. If the Sox really want to make a second half run then do what's best for the team and get Danks out of the rotation.

17th- Samardzija/ EJ for DH

18th- Q

19th- Sale

20th- off

21st- Rodon

22nd- Samardzija

23rd- Johnson

24th- Q

25th- Sale

26th- Rodon

Agreed. Does 7-3 make them buyers?

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 10:56 AM)

Danks has a pretty good track record vs. KC.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)

48-48 with 66 to play. No way Shark is traded. I could see Hahn trying to acquire a couple cheap bats if it doesn't cost much if the Sox are at .500 anytime before the deadline.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 11:38 AM)

That's a good question. With the offense needing so many upgrades I doubt the Sox have the farm to pull it off. But I admit I'm just a fan so who knows?