Jay Bruce

Dunt

I know a lot of people are a hard pass on Bruce, but this might be a good time to strike on him. His stock seems to be down and the Reds are not interested in paying any of his remaining salary. When I look at him versus our current RF situation, Bruce has a better ISO, BB%, better wOBA, and much better defensive defensive metrics than Avi. I realize he is a strikeout machine, but this team is in desparate need of power/offense and improving their holes on defense. If a package might be able to be centered around Avi and a prospect, I think this is something that the Sox should look at.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:33 PM)
I know a lot of people are a hard pass on Bruce, but this might be a good time to strike on him. His stock seems to be down and the Reds are not interested in paying any of his remaining salary. When I look at him versus our current RF situation, Bruce has a better ISO, BB%, better wOBA, and much better defensive defensive metrics than Avi. I realize he is a strikeout machine, but this team is in desparate need of power/offense and improving their holes on defense. If a package might be able to be centered around Avi and a prospect, I think this is something that the Sox should look at.

This is a rebuilding team. That sounds like a KW move. I would rather spend my dollars in the infield and behind the plate than on getting rid of Avi at the moment. Bruce is an upgrade but I dont want to use anything of value for an OF at this point. Especially NL outfielders.

Edited by southsideirish71

Meh. Depends what you'd have to give up. Not a huge Bruce fan, but if they want to give him away for someone taking on his salary and maybe a B prospect, I'd be more interested. Doubt that'll happen.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
Bruce has very poor plate discipline and batting average.

Is that someone that the Sox need to add?

Yeah I had this thought too. We've had way too many left handed swing and miss power hitters recently.

But outside of last year, Bruce has been a far better hitter than Adam Dunn from a BA standpoint.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:52 PM)
Bruce has very poor plate discipline and batting average.

Is that someone that the Sox need to add?

He has a 10% walk rate every year and a higher ISO than anybody currently playing on the Sox. I think most lineups would be happy to add him, especially ours.

That said, I don't see him as a great fit.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:54 PM)
Yeah I had this thought too. We've had way too many left handed swing and miss power hitters recently.

But outside of last year, Bruce has been a far better hitter than Adam Dunn from a BA standpoint.

Adam Dunn was better than Sox Adam Dunn prior to his arrival.

Who's the last power hitter to actually improve by being on the Sox?

I've always been a fan of Bruce, and I think I would trade Avi and a prospect for Bruce.

My reasons are because he would bring a much needed lefty bat with power and can still play an above average RF. As he gets older, he can slide into the DH spot to replace LaRoche.

This is totally out of left field but, here me out. What IF, Sox did trade LaRoche this year, trade for Bruce as a building block for the future for Avi, and then sign Heyward in the winter, so then Bruce and maybe Melky could interchange at DH.

CF Eaton

SS Saladino/FA

1B Abreu

LF Bruce

DH Cabrera

RF Heyward

3B Davidson/FA

C Flowers

2B Sanchez/Johnson

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)

Carlos Quentin.

Maybe Rios could count too but there was a 1.5 year delay.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)

I'll go a step further and say who was that last hitter to actually play up to career norm or better with the sox?

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

No

If it fails the first time, keep doing it again and again so we can keep on failing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
I'd trade Melky and LaRoche for Bruce, nobody else except guys like Beckham and Boni and Conor and nobody wants those stiffs.

The Reds want to trade Bruce to shed salary and you're going to to offer them two underperforming guys that would significantly increase their payroll?

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:15 PM)
The Reds want to trade Bruce to shed salary and you're going to to offer them two underperforming guys that would significantly increase their payroll?

i.e. he believes (wisely) that we should not trade for Bruce.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (shysocks @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 01:57 PM)
He has a 10% walk rate every year and a higher ISO than anybody currently playing on the Sox. I think most lineups would be happy to add him, especially ours.

That said, I don't see him as a great fit.

He might not be a great fit, but I'm having a hard time identifying where we are expecting to find power moving forward. Prior to last years disasterous season due to rushing back from a knee injury, Bruce's lowest HR total of his career was 21. Im not even sure 3/4's of this starting lineup can peak at a number like that. The Sox have the pitching to win now, they desparately need offense and improved defense. Where is that coming from?

Trade for young players?

Develop young players. Like Avi, before jettisoning him for that "proven veteran"

Bruce is a good hitter, but a)will it continue and b)his D is average. Better than Avi, but average.

The Sox farm system hasn't been overly productive, but it's been a lot more productive than Kenny Williams' trades for those "proven veterans".

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
The Sox farm system hasn't been overly productive, but it's been a lot more productive than Kenny Williams' trades for those "proven veterans".

For the lineup? I really don't think this is true.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:34 PM)
Trade for young players?

Develop young players. Like Avi, before jettisoning him for that "proven veteran"

Bruce is a good hitter, but a)will it continue and b)his D is average. Better than Avi, but average.

Avi has proven a pretty useless major league piece at this point. He is weak hitting, atrocious fielding corner outfielder who doesnt walk and strikes out a bunch. He has been below replacement level for his career thus far. I would rather have the "proven veteran" with the 100 pt higher ISO manning a position that requires you to be a power hitter.

I don't see the point considering we have what appear to be three competent outfielders at this point. Bruce isn't so good that I'd fill what aren't totally gaping holes. I think we'd like to do something about Avi at some point, but you're not going to make a trade this season and bench Avi in his first full year in MLB.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 02:32 PM)
He might not be a great fit, but I'm having a hard time identifying where we are expecting to find power moving forward. Prior to last years disasterous season due to rushing back from a knee injury, Bruce's lowest HR total of his career was 21. Im not even sure 3/4's of this starting lineup can peak at a number like that. The Sox have the pitching to win now, they desparately need offense and improved defense. Where is that coming from?

If you're after improved defense, I'm not sure Bruce is your man beyond anyone being an improvement over Avi.

Other than that, you make a pretty compelling case. We'd all love to trade for young players, but nobody wants to trade their young players. Here's a guy who hits year after year with a fair contract whose team would be happy to get rid of him.

It just doesn't feel like the type of move the Sox should be making. I can't articulate why. Maybe it's that if we assume Shark walks after the season, we really have no idea if the Sox have the pitching to win now.