7/15 Games

flavum

Johnson struggling a bit here. Left a ball up in the first and a lefty drove it to right, RF had to go a long way to get it. 2 runners on here in the 2nd, getting a bit wild, finally seemed to refocus a bit after going 3-0 on the next guy, came back and struck him out.

Hung a breaking ball and Guy hammered it foul, then struck out on next pitch.

Topped out at 94, consistently at 92, but notably wild around the zone with the fastball and the curve ball. Announcers noticed how he's struggling with control both within and outside the zone.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:49 AM)
Johnson really struggled with his command. Didn't show much in the way of a breaking ball. Good news is his velocity was up 2-3 mph from last year.

ummm i wonder if he was over pitching, you know trying too hard to show something.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:49 PM)
Johnson really struggled with his command. Didn't show much in the way of a breaking ball. Good news is his velocity was up 2-3 mph from last year.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 09:02 PM)
ummm i wonder if he was over pitching, you know trying too hard to show something.

Yeah I wouldn't take too terribly much from it. I'm mostly encouraged because his fastball velocity was good. I do wonder if he's throwing a 2-seamer or cutter or something because he seemed to have a fastball that was 91-92 and one that was 93-95. The way it would go back and forth even in the same at-bat makes me think he's intentionally thowing it a little differently, kind of like Samardzija throwing 94.5 mph heaters and 91.5 mph cutters this year.

His AAA numbers tell me he's been able to get that slider over the plate this year, otherwise he'd be walking more and being hit more.