Frankie Montas to join Sox for Double Header Friday

bmags

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 03:24 PM)
If they don't think he can be a starter, now would exactly be the time to trade him.

Yeah, he is actually a guy I'd be fine trading if we can get a controllable bat in return at 3B or C. He is going to be a reliever long term.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
So is Montas being called up as a free audition to replace Samardjiza soon? #conspiracy

I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was aliens!!!

Seriously though. This is intriguing seeing as how the Sox have options in AAA. I'm kind of wondering if the Sox might have a trade in the works involving one of their relievers and want to see what Montas can do with Coop?

Edit to add: Possible Bonafacio DFA?

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 09:28 PM)
If I had to guess, I'd say that Carroll starts a game, then goes back to AAA.

did I miss something on Carroll? I thought he was sent down July 10th? I am thinking Montas is the extra guy we are allowed to bring up for a DH. You can expand the roster to 26 players correct?

[code]did I miss something on Carroll? I thought he was sent down July 10th? I am thinking Montas is the extra guy we are allowed to bring up for a DH. You can expand the roster to 26 players correct?[/code

I am sorry. I missed your correction on the Carroll theory

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)
did I miss something on Carroll? I thought he was sent down July 10th? I am thinking Montas is the extra guy we are allowed to bring up for a DH. You can expand the roster to 26 players correct?

Correct. I just think everyone thinks it is a bit of a bizzare choice over Erik Johnson who presumably could start one of the games. Montas could too, I suppose, but he doesn't even average 5.0 IP in the minors..so hard to expect him to go 5 in the bigs. Most likely, he'll be used in relief if needed. It also means it is likely Danks will get a start this weekend, as I am sure they're going to give Rodon as much time as possible for the blister to heal.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 10:06 PM)
Correct. I just think everyone thinks it is a bit of a bizzare choice over Erik Johnson who presumably could start one of the games. Montas could too, I suppose, but he doesn't even average 5.0 IP in the minors..so hard to expect him to go 5 in the bigs. Most likely, he'll be used in relief if needed. It also means it is likely Danks will get a start this weekend, as I am sure they're going to give Rodon as much time as possible for the blister to heal.

I understand now, but it sure makes for interesting speculation

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)

Erik is going in the AAA All Star Game tonight, so he'd be unavailable on Friday. Presumably the org. therefore must want him pitching in that game.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 09:06 PM)

i am in agreement with you and the other posters who said, maybe there is a trade in the works for someone.

Maybe the Sox called up Montas for a quick look before they move him to Charlotte to take EJ's place when EJ gets called up to the Sox? Kind of similar to what the cubs did with Schwarber.

At least this gives Sox fans something to mull over until Friday.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 10:11 PM)
Maybe the Sox called up Montas for a quick look before they move him to Charlotte to take EJ's place when EJ gets called up to the Sox? Kind of similar to what the cubs did with Schwarber.

At least this gives Sox fans something to mull over until Friday.

many, many options..... i love it. baseball at its finest. :lol: