Frankie Montas to join Sox for Double Header Friday

bmags

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 03:30 PM)
Not a bust; just may not be ready.

No he is not ready although he will hit 102 MPH on occasion and 100 quite often he just doesn't have the 2nd or 3rd pitch to have guys not sitting on the very straight and not well hidden fastball nor can he go beyond 5/6 innings yet .That's why despite the big arm he still doesn't K 1 per inning even at AA. His curve is getting there though and if he could add a reliable changeup he'd be lights out.

I highly doubt he'll start . He'll be in the pen if for some reason they need an inning from him.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I wonder if they will throw him to the hounds to prove to him that he needs a reliable 2nd pitch. His straight ass fastball will get crushed IMO. His curve better be at least average if he starts. The sox might be proving him a point before sending him to AAA to replace Johnson.

Other than not getting injured not a very good development year for Montas so far. Hasn't developed his secondary pitches and seems like for the most part scouts call his heater "flat" and "straight" even though it's coming at 99-102mph.

This is a very Sox move to promote him rather than Johnson. I'm not sure what they are thinking.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
Other than not getting injured not a very good development year for Montas so far. Hasn't developed his secondary pitches and seems like for the most part scouts call his heater "flat" and "straight" even though it's coming at 99-102mph.

This is a very Sox move to promote him rather than Johnson. I'm not sure what they are thinking.

Montas might not even pitch and Johnson is in the AAA all star game. I think this is a matter of giving Montas a lil brief cup up (and some time with Coop and company) before he gets sent down right after the game. Coop might give him some stuff to work on, etc, but Johnson is still first guy up from a long-term perspective, imo. No point in bringing Johnson up to sit on the bench when he's got the all star game lined up instead (even though I'm sure Erik would like to get the cup of coffee, when it involves maybe not even playing, probably makes more sense not to bounce him and instead let him keep working on what he is doing at the minor league level and then get him up after you've dealt a starter. I expect we'll see extended view of Montas later this year, maybe even before September (although I doubt it).

As far as development, Montas is still raw and he has made some strides and he has plenty of time to continue to develop.

Montas' fastball gets straight at times, but can also tail quite a bit - this is a repeatability issue with his delivery. He's inconsistent that way. Slider can also be quite nasty, upper 80s, but he doesn't locate it well yet. Change-up is something he is focusing on right now.

It's all about his rawness. He's got serious pitching tools, at least enough to be a reliever or even closer type even if he can just get better command of the FB and SL and get more consistent with his delivery. If he can also make the change a real threat, he's got a chance to start.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
Haven't sox been super cautious with EJ last few weeks?

Yeah, I don't think that is it at all. Thinking big picture, they have called up Beck, Carroll, Junior Guerra, and now Montas... but not Johnson. Call me crazy, but that means something. I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson involved in one of these deadline deals. Just a hunch.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
Yeah, I don't think that is it at all. Thinking big picture, they have called up Beck, Carroll, Junior Guerra, and now Montas... but not Johnson. Call me crazy, but that means something. I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson involved in one of these deadline deals. Just a hunch.

Yea, something is up with that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 06:14 PM)

Well that would seem like a poor strategy to me. You're basically giving him away then. It seems they'd be better off just continuing to stash him in hopes that things click at some point.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:22 PM)
Well that would seem like a poor strategy to me. You're basically giving him away then. It seems they'd be better off just continuing to stash him in hopes that things click at some point.

My view is that they have reason to believe he won't be a successful major leaguer. Whether that problem is in the arm, the stuff, or between the ears, I don't know. What I do know is the team has promoted a bunch of other pitchers this year, and not Johnson. With this organization, I believe that is a sign.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 09:32 PM)
My view is that they have reason to believe he won't be a successful major leaguer. Whether that problem is in the arm, the stuff, or between the ears, I don't know. What I do know is the team has promoted a bunch of other pitchers this year, and not Johnson. With this organization, I believe that is a sign.

I've gotten the impression they think he took his failure last year really hard. So to the extent that they can put something like this off, I think they want to call him up only when they are really sure he's ready. What makes it odd though, if that is true, is how much he was praised for his mound demeanor and being unflappable in the minors. That they are willing to call him up but only under the right circumstance and that they would like to trade him aren't mutually exclusive propositions, of course.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 09:34 PM)
After looking over the schedule, are we positive that Montas won't start one of Friday's games?

Shark/Danks on Friday

Quintana on Saturday

Sale on Sunday

Rodon on Monday

Shark wouldn't go Tuesday on 3 days rest would he?

Monday is an off day

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)

I think you're reading too much into this. Guerra was called up and basically rotted in the bullpen for a few weeks, Beck had one spot start when Erik wasn't available (would've had to pitch on two days rest), & Montas is getting the call once again when Erik isn't an option. IMO, Johnson is clearly the guy pegged for a rotation spot. They've been monitoring his innings very closely as of late, even skipping a recent start. IMO, that tells me they're expecting/hoping the guy will be needed in the majors in the very near future.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:34 PM)
After looking over the schedule, are we positive that Montas won't start one of Friday's games?

Shark/Danks on Friday

Quintana on Saturday

Sale on Sunday

Rodon on Monday

Shark wouldn't go Tuesday on 3 days rest would he?

Shark and Danks have been announced as Friday's starters.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 05:50 PM)

Possible it's that they want relievers more often than starters. johnson has had enough issues without trying him in the pen for one day.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:42 PM)
Ahh my bad. That explains it then. I expect Montas and Saladino to head back after Friday's DH

Certainly hope not.

No reason Saladino shouldn't be starting at 3B most nights. Who are they putting there - Beckham?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:32 PM)

I disagree.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 08:37 PM)
I've gotten the impression they think he took his failure last year really hard. So to the extent that they can put something like this off, I think they want to call him up only when they are really sure he's ready. What makes it odd though, if that is true, is how much he was praised for his mound demeanor and being unflappable in the minors. That they are willing to call him up but only under the right circumstance and that they would like to trade him aren't mutually exclusive propositions, of course.

Closer, I think.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 15, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)
I think you're reading too much into this. Guerra was called up and basically rotted in the bullpen for a few weeks, Beck had one spot start when Erik wasn't available (would've had to pitch on two days rest), & Montas is getting the call once again when Erik isn't an option. IMO, Johnson is clearly the guy pegged for a rotation spot. They've been monitoring his innings very closely as of late, even skipping a recent start. IMO, that tells me they're expecting/hoping the guy will be needed in the majors in the very near future.

And closer still.

My personal view, which could be wrong - I think he's a guy they don't want to get out of a routine with an up and down. Having talked with him multiple times, he's a very... rigid guy. All business. And yes I think 2014 was very mental for him, so I think the reason they haven't called him up is that they won't do it until they can commit to having him in the rotation for a long period of time. That's why he hasn't been up yet.