SoxNet: How the White Sox can get back into the race

Quin

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
The team is 7 runs above their pythagorean win-loss, illustrating just how good the defense has been.

http://www.chicagonow.com/soxnet/2015/07/h...-into-the-race/

It is also worth pointing out that the probability percentage has about doubled over the last week/week and a half as the pitching and defense has solidified.

"I don't make calls like that," he said of whether he will start Sunday. "[but] absolutely, any time you get an in-division rival, those are the games you need, those are the games you want. Like I said before, I'm here to pitch, whatever they've got for me, I'm game for it."

Great article. I don't understand why Sale wouldn't pitch this series. When are the writers going to tell us what is going on with the babying of Sale? Is this the Sox's chance to give him a long extended break during the season just to re-energize him after a lot of innings? Or is something bothering Sale? Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense for him to skip the entire Royals series.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
Great article. I don't understand why Sale wouldn't pitch this series. When are the writers going to tell us what is going on with the babying of Sale? Is this the Sox's chance to give him a long extended break during the season just to re-energize him after a lot of innings? Or is something bothering Sale? Otherwise it makes absolutely no sense for him to skip the entire Royals series.

Its like you never paid attention to any time Chris Sale has been a member of the White Sox

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:32 PM)
Its like you never paid attention to any time Chris Sale has been a member of the White Sox

You should explain yourself . Last time Sale pitched was July 11th. Today is the 17th . Sale could pitch today with plenty of rest and certainly should pitch in the series if he is feeling 100%.

I understand there have been times when the Sox gave Sale extra rest but is now the time to do it ? If management thinks it is the time then what is that telling the team and the fans about what they think their chances are of getting back into the race.

Yes ,many of us think with the hitting the way it is the Sox don't have a prayer of getting back into it but management should not take that position just yet. IF they do they might as well trade Shark ASAP unless they know something we don't about their chances of resigning him.

Management should be in "go for it" mode right now . They really only have to be in that mode for the 1st 3 series of the 2nd half and if after that they decide it's over Sale can get plenty of rest after those 3 series.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 06:27 AM)
You should explain yourself . Last time Sale pitched was July 11th. Today is the 17th . Sale could pitch today with plenty of rest and certainly should pitch in the series if he is feeling 100%.

I understand there have been times when the Sox gave Sale extra rest but is now the time to do it ? If management thinks it is the time then what is that telling the team and the fans about what they think their chances are of getting back into the race.

Yes ,many of us think with the hitting the way it is the Sox don't have a prayer of getting back into it but management should not take that position just yet. IF they do they might as well trade Shark ASAP unless they know something we don't about their chances of resigning him.

Management should be in "go for it" mode right now . They really only have to be in that mode for the 1st 3 series of the 2nd half and if after that they decide it's over Sale can get plenty of rest after those 3 series.

Do you want to be the Nationals and "go for it" in July and not have your best pitcher available in September or October?

We all know there is plenty to criticize the Sox for, but if there is one thing they have earned my trust in, it's the handling of Sale's rest and innings. If they think he needs a few more days rest now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it's necessary, same with Rodon. It's better than losing him for months at a time because they pushed him at the wrong time.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 06:27 AM)

Every season he has been with the Sox he has taken extended rest due to arm soreness, usually around may or june. But this season, the start of his season was pushed back due to his ST foot injury.

I dont like this, I want him to start, but this has happened every season and if there is and hint that he has discomfort I am ok with them holding him out for a little while.

going for it, also doesn't mean to run the risk of injuring your ace. i trust the sox team medical people on this.

i rather take that chance now, give him a day of rest now. he logged in a lot of innings.

totally unrelated...... can anyone remember whent pro baseball had a 4 man rotation. i remember Wilbur Wood having a 300 + inning season. Tommy Johns when he was with the sox in 70 had 250+ innings.

a different era and in today''s era, i am happy the org protects their players.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 05:34 AM)
Do you want to be the Nationals and "go for it" in July and not have your best pitcher available in September or October?

We all know there is plenty to criticize the Sox for, but if there is one thing they have earned my trust in, it's the handling of Sale's rest and innings. If they think he needs a few more days rest now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it's necessary, same with Rodon. It's better than losing him for months at a time because they pushed him at the wrong time.

There's a big difference between Chris Sale now and Strasburg back when that happened. If Chris Sale can never pitch in the postseason without extended rest periods during the season how do you actually ever make it to the post season giving Sale a month off every year when every game is so critical to actually getting to the post season ?

It's been 6 days since Sale last pitched. Has there been any indication that he needs rest right now ? Sale said " "I don't make calls like that," he said of whether he will start Sunday. "[but] absolutely, any time you get an in-division rival, those are the games you need, those are the games you want. Like I said before, I'm here to pitch, whatever they've got for me, I'm game for it." That was taken from an article by Mark Newman on MLB.com .

I just don't think he should miss the entire series with KC and he could pitch right away if they really wanted him to. Chances are the Sox are out of it and anything Sales does will not get them back in it, however a 3 series go for it mentality while starting the 2nd half at home is the right message to send the team and fans. Sale can get all the rest he wants after that and if by some miracle the Sox make a run then Sale will have to do what most pitchers in the postseason do and that's just suck it up and do your best.

Right now ,as in the future ,the question will always be "Can the Sox get to the post season while giving Chris Sale rest periods during the season " ?

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
There's a big difference between Chris Sale now and Strasburg back when that happened. If Chris Sale can never pitch in the postseason without extended rest periods during the season how do you actually ever make it to the post season giving Sale a month off every year when every game is so critical to actually getting to the post season ?

It's been 6 days since Sale last pitched. Has there been any indication that he needs rest right now ? Sale said " "I don't make calls like that," he said of whether he will start Sunday. "[but] absolutely, any time you get an in-division rival, those are the games you need, those are the games you want. Like I said before, I'm here to pitch, whatever they've got for me, I'm game for it." That was taken from an article by Mark Newman on MLB.com .

I just don't think he should miss the entire series with KC and he could pitch right away if they really wanted him to. Chances are the Sox are out of it and anything Sales does will not get them back in it, however a 3 series go for it mentality while starting the 2nd half at home is the right message to send the team and fans. Sale can get all the rest he wants after that and if by some miracle the Sox make a run then Sale will have to do what most pitchers in the postseason do and that's just suck it up and do your best.

Right now ,as in the future ,the question will always be "Can the Sox get to the post season while giving Chris Sale rest periods during the season " ?

i can understand you point and you do make a good one. but i rather give Sale that little extra rest.

ref bold 1. a month????

bold 2. Sale is saying the right things. he is not the boss.

bold 3, it is this series. the future????

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 08:01 AM)
i can understand you point and you do make a good one. but i rather give Sale that little extra rest.

ref bold 1. a month????

bold 2. Sale is saying the right things. he is not the boss.

bold 3, it is this series. the future????

I don't know the exact times he's been allowed to rest or DL'ed for precautionary measures , but I'd say its been a month or close to it every year for the past 3 years.

I agree he is not the boss.

Yes the future . You want the Sox to get to the playoffs every year while Sale pitches don't you? So far it hasn't happened and the Catch 22 question will remain. How do the Sox make the playoffs while they also rest Sale risking critical games in a pennant race ? And if they do reach the playoffs how can Sale handle the load with only one 30 start season under his belt so far ?