Changes in the booth possible?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
AJ & Aaron Rowand would be two primary candidates. AJ would be a great get but I presume he'd rather get a national gig (and would probably be able to get it). I don't know if Rowand could but big difference between travel schedules, etc, between ocassional gig and any form of national gig. No idea how Crede is on a mic, but he'd be another guy.

What about a Geoff Blum or Scotty Pods. He would have the personality and could have some interest, I suppose.

Blum is on tv in houston

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
I think that Frank Thomas is getting better and better at doing TV work. I wouldn't be against him as a color guy for the TV broadcasts.

That's racist!

I imagine Hawk will be done within the next few years, whether he retires or kicks off in the booth calling a Beckham walk-off. As much as he annoys me at times, I would miss hearing him call the games.

I like Steve Stone, but when he's done some play by play, he's not so good. He's much better as the color guy, and he often has some interesting things to say about the game...not just about obscure players he knew back in the day.

I don't listen to the radio much, but when I do I find Farmer and DJ to be entertaining. They seem to have a pretty good chemistry.

I would be surprised if any changes were made for next year. About all I could possibly expect is Hawk to cut back on some away games starting next year.

The White Sox have almost NEVER been that adventuresome when it comes to hiring announcers...For those here advocating sweeping changes, be wary. JR has never been a big believer in top tier or fan popular voices as evidenced by the exits of Caray, Rooney and to some degree, Paciorek.

I see more along the lines of Swirsky (under contract with the Bulls) and Rowand (2005 team, enough said) as likely replacements. It sure wont be anybody good.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 17, 2015 -> 01:03 AM)
Hawk is so close to AJ, he considers him like a son. I can see a scenario where he agrees to cut back games while mentoring AJ in the booth to take on a fulltime PBP or color role.

If AJ wants it, he's going to be a big time national TV guy. That said, I'd love him on the Sox. I just don't know if he'd want to do the workload. That is a lot of work for a retired player who made plenty of coin in his day. All that said, I have no idea how he's spent / saved his money. I also support the idea of a 3 man booth if it eased the adjustment. I still enjoy Hawk from time to time, but he can get pretty unbearable. I also think the state of the franchise makes it harder for an announcer like him to do a good job. He's far more entertaining when the club is performing vs. when it isn't. When it isn't, he becomes more of an "excuse" guy because of his role and ties to the org. You obviously have to be careful as an announcer but I think Hawk on a reduced schedule would be good for all parties involved.

I will still say one of my favorite all time booth's was Hawk / Whimpy in the 90's. They were great.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
So let's try it this way.

The White Sox are well known to favor guys who have come through their franchise for various positions. Any ideas on who might be a good candidate to take any of those roles out of people who have been in the Sox organization at some point?

Joe Crede

I wanted to drill a Royal as well. I think it was Saturday and I think they hit Abreu. I think that's what got me fired up. It was an obvious situation where you don't want to pitch to Abreu and he got hit on the first pitch. I was hoping to plunk a Royal hard after that. But again, aside from opening day, Sox really don't come to compete IMO. They win their share of games but rarely have that eye of the tiger any more.

I really enjoy DJ and Farmer on the radio.....I despised DJ in the TV booth but I think a lot of that was Hawk seemingly had zero respect for the guy. DJ paired with someone who plays along with his goofy jokes and banter really works well. I hope they both stick around for a few more seasons.

The telecasts are pretty unbearable at times. I really do like Hawk but he's just awful to listen to when the Sox aren't winning (so pretty much every season). I've never gotten the impression that Stone is invested in this franchise....I think he loved announcing and didn't want to leave Chicago as opposed to really wanting to broadcast Sox games. I'd prefer someone more invested in the team to provide color. If we had a completely different TV crew next season, I wouldn't be upset.

We should've scooped up Steve Lyons before he went over to NESN.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 09:39 PM)
I really enjoy DJ and Farmer on the radio.....I despised DJ in the TV booth but I think a lot of that was Hawk seemingly had zero respect for the guy. DJ paired with someone who plays along with his goofy jokes and banter really works well. I hope they both stick around for a few more seasons.

The telecasts are pretty unbearable at times. I really do like Hawk but he's just awful to listen to when the Sox aren't winning (so pretty much every season). I've never gotten the impression that Stone is invested in this franchise....I think he loved announcing and didn't want to leave Chicago as opposed to really wanting to broadcast Sox games. I'd prefer someone more invested in the team to provide color. If we had a completely different TV crew next season, I wouldn't be upset.

We should've scooped up Steve Lyons before he went over to NESN.

I enjoyed DJ and Hawk.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)
I have no problem with Farmio and DJ. Much better than the homer-for-hire John Rooney.

Those two dont belong in the same room as Rooney when it comes to talent. He is better than both of them combined

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:14 AM)
Those two dont belong in the same room as Rooney when it comes to talent. He is better than both of them combined

Maybe that's what people prefer. Slick professionalism. I'd rather hear Farmio talk about his neighborhood exploits in E.G. and DJ's backhanded complements of everyone on the team.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 07:20 AM)
Maybe that's what people prefer. Slick professionalism. I'd rather hear Farmio talk about his neighborhood exploits in E.G. and DJ's backhanded complements of everyone on the team.

You need both...a balance.

And they have those complements to Rooney in Mike Shannon and Al Hrabosky to add local flavor and anecdotes.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 07:11 AM)
I have no problem with Farmio and DJ. Much better than the homer-for-hire John Rooney.

Rooney called Sox games for nearly twenty years. How is he any less of a "homer-for-hire" than Darrin Jackson?

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 07:20 AM)

I'd like to actually be able to follow the baseball game they're nominally broadcasting, myself.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:20 AM)

Yea I love when Farmer talks about everything but the game and forces me to check my phone after 3 innings of not mentioning the score. I love it even more when he incessantly calls for homers, or makes (bad) inside jokes that nobody, even DJ, understands.

You may be right, it seems like I want professionalism in a vocation that requires it.