Changes in the booth possible?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
So let's try it this way.

The White Sox are well known to favor guys who have come through their franchise for various positions. Any ideas on who might be a good candidate to take any of those roles out of people who have been in the Sox organization at some point?

If AJ retires, hire him. He did well on FOX during the postseason a few years ago.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Harry Caray made it 10+ years more than where Hawk is now.

If the Cubs hired Hawk Harrelson for next season, there'd be a statue of him at Wrigley in 15 years.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/05/0...-season/400835/

They are. The station is skyrocketing in popularity.

It's really a great channel. I've been watching it more and more.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
So let's try it this way.

The White Sox are well known to favor guys who have come through their franchise for various positions. Any ideas on who might be a good candidate to take any of those roles out of people who have been in the Sox organization at some point?

Carl Everett.

AJ & Aaron Rowand would be two primary candidates. AJ would be a great get but I presume he'd rather get a national gig (and would probably be able to get it). I don't know if Rowand could but big difference between travel schedules, etc, between ocassional gig and any form of national gig. No idea how Crede is on a mic, but he'd be another guy.

What about a Geoff Blum or Scotty Pods. He would have the personality and could have some interest, I suppose.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
It's really a great channel. I've been watching it more and more.

I kid you not, it's on my tv almost all the time I'm at home. In the morning waiting for the nanny there's nothing better than Quick Pitch, and at night it's basically NFL RedZone for MLB. I f***ing love that station.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 12:14 PM)
I think that Frank Thomas is getting better and better at doing TV work. I wouldn't be against him as a color guy for the TV broadcasts.

Love this. Anything to get him on my tv and telling me things and stories from eras I give a s*** about would be fine. He'd be the anti-Hawk.

All of this on the heels of that article the other day showing the Sox essentially last in baseball in TV ratings. As much as I personally love Hawk & Stoney together (and I think they've made great strides in the past couple of years to come together to produce a quality broadcast), there have got to be changes in the TV booth coming down the pike with horrible ratings like these to shake things up a bit.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 07:33 PM)
I kid you not, it's on my tv almost all the time I'm at home. In the morning waiting for the nanny there's nothing better than Quick Pitch, and at night it's basically NFL RedZone for MLB. I f***ing love that station.

Quick Pitch is just the best.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
All of this on the heels of that article the other day showing the Sox essentially last in baseball in TV ratings. As much as I personally love Hawk & Stoney together (and I think they've made great strides in the past couple of years to come together to produce a quality broadcast), there have got to be changes in the TV booth coming down the pike with horrible ratings like these to shake things up a bit.

Given that the Cubs are seeing a big surge in ratings this year after low numbers last year, I think we can point to a much more effective way to get those ratings up.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:14 PM)
I think that Frank Thomas is getting better and better at doing TV work. I wouldn't be against him as a color guy for the TV broadcasts.

Frank makes his money doing pre and post game work, I can't imagine him calling a whole game.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
AJ & Aaron Rowand would be two primary candidates. AJ would be a great get but I presume he'd rather get a national gig (and would probably be able to get it). I don't know if Rowand could but big difference between travel schedules, etc, between ocassional gig and any form of national gig. No idea how Crede is on a mic, but he'd be another guy.

What about a Geoff Blum or Scotty Pods. He would have the personality and could have some interest, I suppose.

Blum is a part time color guy for the Astros and he does a nice job. If they could work a deal for him to come and do the Sox TV broadcasts with Hawk, I'd be pleased with it. He seems very involved in this year's 10 year anniversary celebration and I heard he was a damn good interview for the Comcast special.

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball

Stone and Wimpy.

I think Hawk at all times simultaneously has both of these thoughts bouncing around his skull

"In television baseball broadcasting there are always 2 guys working in the booth together and I'm one of those guys."

"What the f***? Who is that guy over there? He's trying to steal my job!!"

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
No idea how Crede is on a mic, but he'd be another guy.

Simply based on his post-game locker room interviews, he's not a guy I could see being good at announcing. Love the guy, but I don't think it would fit him well.

Ed Farmer really struggles in the booth and when I say struggles I mean struggles to put a complete sentence together. He is the absolute worst and an quite frankly an embarrassment. I can't tell you how many times while I'm listening to the game on my drive home and saying to myself "what the f*ck did he just say?!?" I had my cousin in from San Francisco over the 4th of July weekend (Giants fan) and he commented on how bad he thought Farmer is (unsolicited opinion). If a change has to be made, please let it be Farmer. Not only is he bad he's just weird and creepy. Anybody remember when he was in the Sox dugout in Minnesota after they clinched the division in 2000? He was walking around in Sox uniform pants.

QUOTE (jblastick @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:15 PM)
Ed Farmer really struggles in the booth and when I say struggles I mean struggles to put a complete sentence together. He is the absolute worst and an quite frankly an embarrassment. I can't tell you how many times while I'm listening to the game on my drive home and saying to myself "what the f*ck did he just say?!?" I had my cousin in from San Francisco over the 4th of July weekend (Giants fan) and he commented on how bad he thought Farmer is (unsolicited opinion). If a change has to be made, please let it be Farmer. Not only is he bad he's just weird and creepy. Anybody remember when he was in the Sox dugout in Minnesota after they clinched the division in 2000? He was walking around in Sox uniform pants.

Welcome to Soxtalk! :cheers

How about they just hire a professional broadcaster as the TV PBP guy? And then leave Stone next to him. It doesn't have to be an ex-player. Get a professional from somewhere. Someone doing post game work somewhere like a Wayne Randazzo or Mike Wills type.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 03:52 PM)
How about they just hire a professional broadcaster as the TV PBP guy? And then leave Stone next to him. It doesn't have to be an ex-player. Get a professional from somewhere. Someone doing post game work somewhere like a Wayne Randazzo or Mike Wills type.

Just something I can't see this organization doing. Totally not them.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 16, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)

Was going to say just this. Someone who had training and skills to do the job correctly.