Will Sale get to 300 strikeouts?

Steve9347

The Sale K Question  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Will Sale strikeout 300 losers?

• Yeah, b****!
    • No way, Jose!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 03:05 PM)
At the rate he is going, I think he finishes the year. He has shown no signs of slowing down.

That's actually a really good point. I think that he has gotten way better as the season has gone on. He's cut down on the walks and the hits, plus he's lowered his ERA.

Hypothetically, if Sale was at like 295 or 296 K's on the last day of the season, would you bring him out of the bullpen to try to get to 300? There's reasons for both sides, but I'd say yes.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
That's actually a really good point. I think that he has gotten way better as the season has gone on. He's cut down on the walks and the hits, plus he's lowered his ERA.

Hypothetically, if Sale was at like 295 or 296 K's on the last day of the season, would you bring him out of the bullpen to try to get to 300? There's reasons for both sides, but I'd say yes.

Rodon's velocity has not suffered at all. I think they learned a lot stretching Sale out. If his velocity or mechanics start to slip, they will rest him or pull him. If not, they let him go to the end.

And as for Sale? No. No way they endanger his arm for a few extra strikeouts.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
Keep in mind that Rodon will be shut down at some point.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
At the rate he is going, I think he finishes the year. He has shown no signs of slowing down.

I've thought the goal for Rodon should be ~160 innings. He pitched 128 last year, 160 this year gives his arm a bump but not so much of one that it would put his arm at terrible risk, and it gets him 1/2 the way to a 200 inning campaign which should be the goal in 2016.

So far this year he's thrown 122.2, so he needs to still make 6-ish starts to get to that level.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 03:48 PM)
Our offense is middle-of-the-pack in terms of K rate. Same against lefties. I don't think Sale would be more likely to strike out 17 White Sox than most other teams.

Yeah we're 19th in strikeouts and 8th in the AL (that is, 18 offenses have struck out more than us), there's no reason to think Sale would strike out more White Sox hitters than normal.

Edited by OmarComing25

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 03:56 PM)
Yeah we're 19th in strikeouts and 8th in the AL (that is, 18 offenses have struck out more than us), there's no reason to think Sale would strike out more White Sox hitters than normal.

I wonder if our DH position has struck out more in the last 5 years than any other team at any other position. We've had basically the same me-first type of guy for 5 years. Can somebody look that up?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 07:32 PM)
I wonder if our DH position has struck out more in the last 5 years than any other team at any other position. We've had basically the same me-first type of guy for 5 years. Can somebody look that up?

They're second. Since the start of 2011, Sox DH's have struck out in 24.3% of their plate appearances, which leads all AL teams except the Astros, at 29.5%. Houston hasn't been an AL team for all of that time, but that seems like a wide enough gap to give them the title.

SOURCE

QUOTE (shysocks @ Sep 3, 2015 -> 08:07 PM)
They're second. Since the start of 2011, Sox DH's have struck out in 24.3% of their plate appearances, which leads all AL teams except the Astros, at 29.5%. Houston hasn't been an AL team for all of that time, but that seems like a wide enough gap to give them the title.

SOURCE

Thanks, Chris Carter!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, he's at 259 now with 2, maybe 3 starts left, so I don't see him getting to 300 this year. It's still been a hell of a season though.

However, am I the only one that wouldn't mind if his K rate went down a little bit next year if he pitched to contact more? I'm not talking a major decrease in strikeouts, just a little. I think pitching to contact would help extend his outings and lower his ERA.

I think he'd have a much better chance at the Cy Young at the end of the season if if he was 13-11 or so with a 2.80 ish ERA with 240 K's instead of 13-11 with a 3.50 ERA with 275 K's.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 19, 2015 -> 11:07 AM)
I think he gets 3 starts. Needs 14 K's per start to get there. Won't happen. He will pass Walsh and get the single-season Sox record, though (barring injury).

I agree that he should pitch to contact more.

Yep. I'm not talking a major decrease in strikeouts, but I'd take 20 less of them a year if he can lower his ERA by .20 of a run at the same time.

I guess it's more just personal preference. I'd prefer less strikeouts and a better ERA, but there are probably people that think the opposite.