7/18 Games - Fulmer's debut

Fulmer's first

AZL Angels Top of the 1st

Chad Hinshaw strikes out swinging.

Jahmai Jones singles on a ground ball to third baseman Felix Mercedes.

With Brandon Bayardi batting, Carson Fulmer picks off Jahmai Jones at 1st on throw to Cody Daily.

Brandon Bayardi flies out to left fielder Jake Fincher.

Jacob May on rehab assignment.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 07:22 PM)
Fulmer's first

AZL Angels Top of the 1st

Chad Hinshaw strikes out swinging.

Jahmai Jones singles on a ground ball to third baseman Felix Mercedes.

With Brandon Bayardi batting, Carson Fulmer picks off Jahmai Jones at 1st on throw to Cody Daily.

Brandon Bayardi flies out to left fielder Jake Fincher.

Jacob May on rehab assignment.

Strange, the box score shows that he only threw the one inning and that he had 52 pitches. Something's not right.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 11:48 PM)
Johnson 2-2 with a homer. He's earning that promotion back to the Sox!

i am with you on this. but how is his D coming along.

the defense was the reason on being sent back down.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 07:44 AM)
i am with you on this. but how is his D coming along.

the defense was the reason on being sent back down.

LDF, I don't think he's ever going to be good defensively. He has to be a big offensive weapon to outweigh his bad D.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
LDF, I don't think he's ever going to be good defensively. He has to be a big offensive weapon to outweigh his bad D.

and this yr, if rumors were correct, the pitchers were feed up with his defense or lack of. which made his move to the minor a necessity.

too bad he doesn't hit for more power, then moving him to dh would be great. same thing for 1b. offensively he is too good not to play. but he really doesn't have a position that his defense will show a hole.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)

i am sooo freaking excited about the sox rookie teams - Great falls and AZL-white sox. looking at these 2 teams players, i can see the future looking great.

nice job again to all the admins and writers. to keep us, the fans up to date.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 10:12 AM)
and this yr, if rumors were correct, the pitchers were feed up with his defense or lack of. which made his move to the minor a necessity.

too bad he doesn't hit for more power, then moving him to dh would be great. same thing for 1b. offensively he is too good not to play. but he really doesn't have a position that his defense will show a hole.

I'm glad the pitchers are happy, but they are paying for it with a sub .500 OPS out of Sanchez. The Sox will give him the year, so if he can pull it up above .600 that will be nice. But in perpetuity, you can't have sub .700 OPS out of 2nd unless that's your only hole.

I hope Johnson improves his defense.

Davidson falling off a cliff again. No need to see him on the South Side, now or ever, probably - he'd hit .150, maybe. Give Saladino 3B for awhile.

Dude appeared to have some talent at one point. Amazing how little development of hitters ever takes place in this org. Or maybe not so amazing.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)
Davidson falling off a cliff again. No need to see him on the South Side, now or ever, probably - he'd hit .150, maybe. Give Saladino 3B for awhile.

Dude appeared to have some talent at one point. Amazing how little development of hitters ever takes place in this org. Or maybe not so amazing.

Davidson may have been a case of poor scouting. how many scouts do the Sox have in the PCL?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 03:14 PM)

I wonder how much blame the Sox deserve for Davidson's apparent failure to develop as anticipated.

Is he the product of inferior coaching and development techniques that made him a worse hitter than he was prior to joining the Sox? Is he the product of poor scouting by the Sox? Or did he simply experience unforeseen regression that was inevitable regardless of what organization he played for?

All three likely played a part, but I have a feeling the bulk of the blame can be put on this organization's inability to properly develop hitters. This organization's philosophy on hitting is outdated and ineffective. I really wish we could clean house and bring in some people who will instill a new, modern, and most importantly effective philosophy on what to look for in potential players and how to develop those players once they're in the organization.

Give me some players with baseball skills who can make contact, take walks, and play defense and some coaches that are capable of improving those skills and developing those players. How many times are we going to fall in love with the toolsy former football player with immense raw power only to watch him fail? This rant isn't directed at Davidson, but rather the Sox philosophy.

At least we know how to handle pitchers.