Gillaspie DFA'd; Albers called up

thedoctor

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
I think you're right. Conor was brought up his first year in Pro Ball, so he had to be optioned every year after that.

It's so weird that he's one of the few players ever to be brought up that quickly. I'm guessing it was to get him signed, but that's unheard of I think.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
It's so weird that he's one of the few players ever to be brought up that quickly. I'm guessing it was to get him signed, but that's unheard of I think.

i maybe wrong here. but i remember last yr, he was a total surprise.... they the fo thought davidson was going to be the 3b right out of spring training. but all that conor did was hit.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)
I support move, but feel bad for Connor. He had plantar fasciitis right? I imagine that really affected his offense this year. Glad we get to keep watching Saladino though.

Yes he did and when hitting is basically a transfer or weight from the back foot to the front foot any of the 2 feet hurting will effect timing and balance and power.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 11:54 PM)
Carlos Quentin also struggled with the same foot ailment....and it really sucks, the foot version of an oblique.

I dunno, from everything I have read about PF it seems like an athlete would rather deal with an oblique

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 12:49 PM)
I dunno, from everything I have read about PF it seems like an athlete would rather deal with an oblique

i have that as a recurring aliment.... it hurts like a dickens. i had to buy special shoes to help.... expensive. that is just so i can walk. can you imagine an athlete who stops and pivot ..... now imagine running.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
Remember when I told you all that Conor Gillaspie sucks? Way to argue with me.

Next thing you know, people will say they need more than Yasiel Puig back for Jose Quintana or something moronic like that.

conor sucks.....yet how do you explain, last yr a hitting avg of 280 +/- when some players can't hit their weight.

Took Balta a year to convince me Connor was worth anything and then as soon as I finally came around, he went completely into the tank. Connor, too bad, their were times where I saw some offensive potential, but defensively, you were offensive.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
Took Balta a year to convince me Connor was worth anything and then as soon as I finally came around, he went completely into the tank. Connor, too bad, their were times where I saw some offensive potential, but defensively, you were offensive.

here is my point....... i mention this yesterday to 1 person chagrin that i think it is something else.

if it was his foot, he would go on the disable list as some players in the past.

if it was a simple move to move in to the minors to get more reps so to speak,,,,, why not same something along that line to the press....

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
They can't even touch the idea of cutting Beckham loose. Jeez.

To be frank, Beckham has been more valuable then Bon (or said another way, a little less terrible) so I don't really have a problem keeping Beckham over him. Bottom line is Beckham was the 3rd worst positional player on the roster, which really says something. The Sox have quite a few very good to elite players and then a lot of guys who suck. Not a lot of just solid baseball players. The nice thing is, I actually think we have a few that look like they can be that (Micah / Sanchez / Saladino). I'm not sure whether they are all starters, in fact, I suspect only 1 is (Micah) but I think the other two have a place on a good roster and could prove me wrong if they hit a little better then I think they are capable of. And with Sanchez glove, if he could play above average D at SS, then I would think his bat comes around to play at short in this era. Saladino could fit that same description.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:51 PM)
I feel like if Saladino were a cardinal he'd have a decent 8 year career. I do not have hope for him on our team.

I know what you mean.

He steps in fundamentally sound with a nice stroke.

And then he hangs around this team and these coaches and they wring that right out of him.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:09 AM)
conor sucks.....yet how do you explain, last yr a hitting avg of 280 +/- when some players can't hit their weight.

Gillaspie hit .326 during the first half of last season. That's great.

Then he hit .228 the rest of that season. That's bad.

This season he's hit a total of .237 despite playing almost exclusively against RHPs, something which should have maximized his production given his righty/lefty splits last season.

So basically, Conor hasn't hit for almost a year now. Add that to his unplayably bad defense and saying he 'sucks' isn't entirely inaccurate.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 07:30 PM)
Gillaspie hit .326 during the first half of last season. That's great.

Then he hit .228 the rest of that season. That's bad.

This season he's hit a total of .237 despite playing almost exclusively against RHPs, something which should have maximized his production given his righty/lefty splits last season.

So basically, Conor hasn't hit for almost a year now. Add that to his unplayably bad defense and saying he 'sucks' isn't entirely inaccurate.

Not disagreeing with you that he may well suck, but I don't know why they didn't DL him with the plantar fasciitis issue to see if he can get back hitting more respectably when healthy.

Answering my own question, I suppose it's that he's not going to be given any playing time in the short term, they know he's not their answer long-term, and it's not like his trade value is going to increase by not playing him and hoping he gets healthy. His trade value is what it is for now, which is not much. So they give him the opportunity to get another major league roster spot if anyone is offering. Or they can send him to AAA if no one takes him. I think we will see him hit better than he has this year once his feet are healthy.

Edited by Vance Law

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)

We can't even agree after all this time about how to spell his first and last names.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
Not disagreeing with you that he may well suck, but I don't know why they didn't DL him with the plantar fasciitis issue to see if he can get back hitting more respectably when healthy.

FWIW, that's one of those injuries that it seems like "A DL Stint" really doesn't do much for. Instead seems to typically take months.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
FWIW, that's one of those injuries that it seems like "A DL Stint" really doesn't do much for. Instead seems to typically take months.

Right, exactly. They could have stashed him on the DL until September if they wanted but they chose not to. Which seems like a confluence of "if a team is willing to give him a big league job, let's do that for him" and maybe "with his value at a low point, DFA him now and there's a chance nobody takes him.

I would have to think some team picks him up. Just really begs the question why beckham is still (and ever was) on this roster. That said, hard to get too excited about the end of the roster when it's the front that has really under performed.

Conor seems rather frail and weak for a pro player, he needs to find some PEDs.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:56 PM)
I would have to think some team picks him up. Just really begs the question why beckham is still (and ever was) on this roster. That said, hard to get too excited about the end of the roster when it's the front that has really under performed.

Conor seems rather frail and weak for a pro player, he needs to find some PEDs.

Beckham was picked up to be a platoon-mate and defensive sub at third base. He's a better infielder than Bonifacio who ultimately became an insurance policy at various positions due to his inability to do any one thing well other than pinch run. Beckham got the defense part down.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 11:06 PM)
Beckham was picked up to be a platoon-mate and defensive sub at third base. He's a better infielder than Bonifacio who ultimately became an insurance policy at various positions due to his inability to do any one thing well other than pinch run. Beckham got the defense part down.

you could have stopped there...beckham is no platoon mate for Conor. You can make an argument for him as the 25th man but beyond that full stop.