Trade Deadline Thread

Dunt

With the weekend series in the books and the Sox losers of 4 of the last 5, I think we are going to start seeing movement any day now. Not sure if we want separates threads for any trades, but I figured we should have a centralized area for rumors/trades. Seeing that Houston is prioritizing adding a pitcher and also looking at adding a bat, specifically first base. I wonder if the Astros and the Sox have discussed anything surrounding Samardzija and LaRoche?

The Astros are looking for a 1B due to the poor production from the position. That poor production is still better than that of LaRoche so I doubt the Astros have interest in LaRoche. Since the Astros have time before the deadline I think they give Singleton a chance to show what he can do before the 31st. Samardzija to Houston make alot of sense since Samardzija will not cost as much as Cueto or Hamels would in a trade.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
The Astros are looking for a 1B due to the poor production from the position. That poor production is still better than that of LaRoche so I doubt the Astros have interest in LaRoche. Since the Astros have time before the deadline I think they give Singleton a chance to show what he can do before the 31st. Samardzija to Houston make alot of sense since Samardzija will not cost as much as Cueto or Hamels would in a trade.

I went to the Pirates/Brewers game yesterday. I didn't realize Adam Lind was having such a good season. That's who Houston should go after. Also, Sox may be able to dump Alexei on the Pirates since Mercer got hurt. Wishful thinking probably.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 09:00 AM)
I went to the Pirates/Brewers game yesterday. I didn't realize Adam Lind was having such a good season. That's who Houston should go after. Also, Sox may be able to dump Alexei on the Pirates since Mercer got hurt. Wishful thinking probably.

Lind makes a ton of sense for both Houston and Pitt. Initially I didn't think Alexei could be moved and then yesterday someone ( ss2k5?) pointed out that the Sox were able to get something for DeAza and Beckham so I have some hope.

I would like to think that the White Sox will get a decent return for the Shark. I can't imagine get much of anything for LaRoche, Beckham, Flowers, Ramirez, Soto, Sanchez and Danks.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:48 AM)
Alvarez is about to be traded by the Pirates. He has two more years until he a fa. If he can still handle third I'd love to buy low there.

Except all evidence points to he can't anymore, NL to AL...we've never "coached up" a player to improve defensively in years...on the other hand, a lot of people thought Jhonny Peralta was done five years ago and he's still playing SS on the best team in baseball.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
Alvarez is about to be traded by the Pirates. He has two more years until he a fa. If he can still handle third I'd love to buy low there.

He'd fit perfectly into the White Sox mold

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)

Problem is he can't handle 1B, yet alone hit. Pittsburgh is essentially platooning him. He has never really been able to show any consistency offensively, so all we'd really be buying on is his potential from 5+ years ago and his power. We'd be better off with Gillespie than throwing Alvarez in any trade.

However I can honestly imagine the White Sox doing it, though. For all the typical White Sox reasons. It seems like a move in the mold of Gavin Floyd, a highly regarded from Top Draft pick struggling (with Alvarez though his struggles have extended far longer than Floyd with Philadelphia).

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
With the weekend series in the books and the Sox losers of 4 of the last 5, I think we are going to start seeing movement any day now. Not sure if we want separates threads for any trades, but I figured we should have a centralized area for rumors/trades. Seeing that Houston is prioritizing adding a pitcher and also looking at adding a bat, specifically first base. I wonder if the Astros and the Sox have discussed anything surrounding Samardzija and LaRoche?

If this weekend was any indication, the White Sox should be sellers. They can't have any extended losing streaks and basically need to go on an extended hot streak. They have now lost 4 of 5, and are towards the bottom of the AL. Their offense is one of the worst in recent memory.

With a glut of starting pitching on the market, they may want to think about striking first with Samardzjia.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)

I had Lind in fantasy for years because he would have surprising production when he'd play. The problem was, that Toronto would jerk him around and not play him or he'd get hurt.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
Absolutely no to alvarez

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 10:04 AM)
Alvarez can't hit lefties. Basically what we got from Conor Gillaspie last year.

Yep and Alvarez is a defensive hack. No thank you.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 8m8 minutes ago

Sources: #WhiteSox in “listening mode.” Samardzija most likely to go; only potential free agent of significance. Team also could add.

#WhiteSox will not tear down, trade Sale, etc. Did not simply put club together for 2015. View season as first of at least 3-year window.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)

Sources: #WhiteSox in “listening mode.” Samardzija most likely to go; only potential free agent of significance. Team also could add.

#WhiteSox will not tear down, trade Sale, etc. Did not simply put club together for 2015. View season as first of at least 3-year window.

so am i missing something here. is he implying that this is the first yr of the rebuilding????