7/20 Games

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 07:40 AM)
Are you trying to rain on the Micah parade?

I don't think anybody is looking for Micah to be a 10+ home run guy in the majors so his home runs really don't mean much

you are correct, but it was a nice FYI tidbit.

considering there really isn't coming out of the majors that is positive. :lol:

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
I just posted this yesterday I think, but here's an article with video and analysis of Cooper.

thanks the i did saw the video and read what you posted. that is why i was a little confuses. he just don't seem to be the typical over powering closer but stat wise, doing nice. i know the object is to avoid bats.... but with out an overpowering FB??

just my confusion.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
thanks the i did saw the video and read what you posted. that is why i was a little confuses. he just don't seem to be the typical over powering closer but stat wise, doing nice. i know the object is to avoid bats.... but with out an overpowering FB??

just my confusion.

Stats are never the whole picture in the minors. And their importance, generally, is a sliding scale. In A ball, yes they tell you something, but no they may not tell you what you think they do. Its key at those lower levels to know HOW they are getting outs.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 03:54 PM)
Stats are never the whole picture in the minors. And their importance, generally, is a sliding scale. In A ball, yes they tell you something, but no they may not tell you what you think they do. Its key at those lower levels to know HOW they are getting outs.

excellent.... i never thought of it that way.

in the A league area, i use the stats to look at some unknown players to keep an eye out. but i am looking at cooper with a 92 mph fastball and so far his success.

any one, i know many others have very good opinions and feel, i was lost.

many thanks.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 12:40 AM)
Are you trying to rain on the Micah parade?

I don't think anybody is looking for Micah to be a 10+ home run guy in the majors so his home runs really don't mean much

Well, they mean a little bit. I'm not expecting a major power surge either, but even Adam Eaton can be a 10 HR guy this year. More likely, it shows me that he can get some XBH with a bit of pop and legging singles into doubles, and won't be completely reliant on the SB to get into scoring position.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)
Still don't want Micah up unless he has improved defensively.

I don't either, ftr. Would be nice to get a more recent report on this - saw the 2 errors in past 36 games thing, but the footwork and positioning as well as a "softer" glove are probably most important.

Is Buddy Bell/Charlotte Mgr. the main source of input to the FO for this type of decision typically?

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)
Are you salty about it? I'd rather be objective than ignore facts. Nobody has pointed out that all of his home runs have come in band box. That's important to note.

IF we're going there, then it should also be noted that one of his recent home runs left the park entirely, over that HR porch in RF. That's way more than enough to get out of any park.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
Still don't want Micah up unless he has improved defensively.

And there are recent indications it has. Fewer errors, and a quote from an NL scout as to the positives. Also reports coming in more often of making very tough plays. There's enough there to make me pretty sure he's improving, though of course he's not likely to suddenly be very good.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)
Are you salty about it? I'd rather be objective than ignore facts. Nobody has pointed out that all of his home runs have come in band box. That's important to note.

Salty about what? I was joking with you raining on the Micah parade.

Yeah his home runs have come in a home run park but you have to think those home runs in Charlotte will result in doubles and triples elsewhere

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
Salty about what? I was joking with you raining on the Micah parade.

Yeah his home runs have come in a home run park but you have to think those home runs in Charlotte will result in doubles and triples elsewhere

Exactly, it's just illustrating he has more pop than slapping singles everywhere.

I think that people saying he has upside has a lot to do with him having some power potential and being a .150-ish ISO player. I also think playing in Charlotte doesn't invalidate his production, we have stats that account for this. The raw number may not be that informative, but in general I think it's fair to be excited about and hope for some power numbers.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2015 -> 02:51 AM)
I think that people saying he has upside has a lot to do with him having some power potential and being a .150-ish ISO player. I also think playing in Charlotte doesn't invalidate his production, we have stats that account for this. The raw number may not be that informative, but in general I think it's fair to be excited about and hope for some power numbers.

many thanks for your analysis. very informative .....