Who gets moved from the bullpen?

Quin

Robo would be the last to go. If they can pull off trades for major league (or near it) talent then they really should hold onto him. If the return is guys who won't help next year then actually be fine dealing him and grooming Montas for the spot.

I still think they should be looking at Lester for Cespedes type deals with the pitching staff they have. Rodon should be better next year, EJ has looked fantastic in AAA, Fulmer should be a stud, Sale isn't going anywhere, and Jeff may be back if not another #2/3 type starter. If you can get a middle of the order bat or 2 for Q, and maybe add another piece or 2 in the off-season, that rotation could carry you.

The case for moving Robertson:

1. The White Sox paid a premium price for him on the grounds that they needed and established closer to compete. They aren't competitive even with one, even if that logic is sound.

2. Robertson's deal inflates the next couple years, so the premium price we're paying for him actually becomes higher.

3. If the White Sox move him and decide they still need a closer...similar performance to what we've seen this season (or even better) will be available quite often. Teams with $10 million+ closers are often happy to dump that contract onto other orgs, as we should be.

4. If the White Sox could turn either Jones or Putnam or Webb into solid closers, that not only increases their value to the team, it also jumps their trade value and could make them worth a comp pick in a few years when they do hit FA.

5. The White Sox have bigger needs in their lineup where that money could much more appropriately be spent.

The reason why it's a bad move is: you think the White Sox have a competitive roster in 2016 and you're not willing to take chances with the bullpen. You're still willing to sacrifice the long-term health of the franchise to compete in 2016, and you guys know my response to that already.

And all of those, btw, were written without noting that Robertson really isn't pitching like a premium-priced closer.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 07:06 PM)
I don't have anything against moving him but I'm not shopping him. If someone wants him, let's hear an offer, but we don't need to act like we have to sell him.

Yeah, unless someone is going to give us something of real value for him, I'd rather just hold on to him. I have no interest in dumping him simply to clear salary.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 05:31 PM)
I'll be enraged if the Sox don't trade one of Putnam or Petricka. With the deadline fast approaching and Jones coming back soon, there is no better time to be selling a reliever.

If they don't get the right offer, I see no reason to move either of them. It isn't like they will be expensive next year and are still valuable assets. I also am not making moves because Jones is coming back. He's missed a lot of baseball. I do agree that it makes sense to move our relievers but if someone offers us a heap of junk for them, I'll pass.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 07:39 PM)
If they don't get the right offer, I see no reason to move either of them. It isn't like they will be expensive next year and are still valuable assets. I also am not making moves because Jones is coming back. He's missed a lot of baseball. I do agree that it makes sense to move our relievers but if someone offers us a heap of junk for them, I'll pass.

Exactly. If a Karchner/Garland deal is out there, twke it. But to trade Petricka or Putnam and hope the return eventually turns into Petricka or Putnam, that makes zero sense. the next time a team has too much pitching will be the first.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 07:39 PM)

The point I'm trying to make is we'll need to clear a reliever to add Jones. Whether that is a trade/DFA or a sending a guy like Webb to AAA, an opening will need to be made. We might as well capitalize on our team's struggles and our surplus of RH relievers and trade one for something that might be able to help down the road. Sure, if you don't receive any quality offers then you're forced to hold your ground. But honestly, I don't think that will be the case as relievers are typically in demand this time of year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
You're not getting anything for Duke, you might get something of value for Putnam.

We could get salary relief. Not sure whether I'm confident in Duke for the next 2 years or not. I'm more interested in moving Robertson for that reason, but I could find an excuse to do it for Duke as well.