2015 White Sox offense - Historically bad

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
I disagreed last year with this sentiment and said the power would come from the guys they have. Now I actually think that the lack of power is becoming a major concern. We're 28th in the big leagues in HR and there's no obvious help coming in that department unless Abreu suddenly finds whatever he had last year or Garcia completely revamps his approach. Esp. in the ballpark we play in, that's terrible. For a front office that focused on "bringing in power bats", which it sure looked like they were...28th in the big leagues in HR is not something they should be particularly proud of.

We could maybe get by with that if we had a lot of really good hitters overall, maybe that is the solution since we're not likely to be finding those guys any time soon...but man, it really would be nice to hit a ball out of the ballpark on occasion. We're not going to be able to put up with very many "below replacement" players if we have to rely on every position being a solid, low-power hitter.

Problem is we are 28th in homers so typically when you are light on power, you would presume you are high on speed and defense (since usually their are few players who can run, hit for power, and play awesome defense), but we are light on power and light on top baserunning and elite difference. Literally it is hard to find a team that from a position player perspective is as futile as the White Sox, when you consider the trifecta of defense / baserunning / hitting.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
This team could use a guy like Showalter. Buck would be just the right voice for this club. Too bad he's in Baltimore. If anyone could solve fundemental issues and change a culture, it would be Buck. I'll be honest, as much as it cringes me, I'd also fully support Dusty Baker (I realize he runs pitchers into the ground, but he's also been a pretty consistent winner despite his hatred for all things sabs). Won a lot in San Fran, won with the Cubs (hard to do), and then again with the Reds (who thought he didn't do enough, so they got rid of him, and then the Reds turned into a bigger dumpster fire).

Okay so Baker probably isn't the actual solution, but I think even more so in this era of pitching, the AL is going to have to adjust and move to a more NL style of play. That 1 run makes a much larger difference in an ERA where runs are down and therefore the execution, the baserunning, the little things that became so watered down in the steroid era (and even more waterdown in the AL where the DH's were the most fully loaded roiders around) are now so critical and a lot of these AL squads just aren't as schooled in it or the philosphies still seem to be a bit in the stoneage.

Sox philosophy sure seems like it. The pitching and belief to have strong pitching, we can all agree with. But we have lousy baserunning and lousy defense. To me, that is inexcusable without having some massive clotters out their who can out homer everyone.

I believe this team needs better players. Showalter would most likely be 42-48 with this bunch as well.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-impress...te-sox-offense/

Brayan Pena is a 33-year-old backup catcher who has amassed 1820 PA across 11 seasons, producing a .259/.299/.352 line and a 75 wRC+. The takeaway point from that first sentence is that Brayan Pena has been among the worst hitters in the league over the last decade, which is probably something you knew about him without any prompting.

Reflecting on Pena is simply a way to put the 2015 White Sox in perspective because the White Sox are essentially hitting like Brayan Pena as a team this year.

LOL