SoxNet: What can the White Sox get for Jeff Samardzija?

Quin

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
I assume most of you have seen this article today:

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article/137...10400-819207683

Anyone have strong thoughts on these players?

1. Dodgers -- he suggests Alex Guerrero, which suggests he doesn't know about Guerrero's opt out that essentially makes him a rental for us and therefore a bad option. More evidence that Rogers knows less about baseball players than our message board posters do. Schebler or Barnes make a ton of sense, though. Especially Barnes.

2. Giants -- Christian Arroyo is probably a really realistic return, actually. 2013 first rounder who usually appears toward the back of the top ten Giants prospects but has had some helium this year. Might be a SS, might be a 2B

3. Blue Jays -- While I agree that the Sox should prefer positional prospects to pitching prospects at this point, I think it's a little ridiculous to suggest that there won't be a fit simply because that Sox won't want any pitching prospects. If the Jay offer the highest grade talent, they should get something done.

4. Yankees -- I didn't get to see Jagielo myself (he was here the year before I started working for Staten Island), but while he seems like the perfect fit for us on paper, the up and down nature of his value has me worried that he's another guy who is notable mostly jsut because he's a Yankees prospect. I've read a lot of mixed stuff on him.

5. Astros -- Tony Kemp would be a great get in terms of value. I actually think it's probably a little rich. Stassi would be good for us too, but I'm pretty sure the Astros see him as their catcher going forward. Colin Moran is extremely polarizing, with enough people thinking he's absolute garbage that I'd be wary of him as a centerpiece. Domingo Santana is a good prospect and probably a realistic centerpiece even if I hope we can do just a touch better.

Edited by Eminor3rd

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 03:28 PM)
1. Dodgers -- he suggests Alex Guerrero, which suggests he doesn't know about Guerrero's opt out that essentially makes him a rental for us and therefore a bad option. More evidence that Rogers knows less about baseball players than our message board posters do. Schebler or Barnes make a ton of sense, though. Especially Barnes.

2. Giants -- Christian Arroyo is probably a really realistic return, actually. 2013 first rounder who usually appears toward the back of the top ten Giants prospects but has had some helium this year. Might be a SS, might be a 2B

3. Blue Jays -- While I agree that the Sox should prefer positional prospects to pitching prospects at this point, I think it's a little ridiculous to suggest that there won't be a fit simply because that Sox won't want any pitching prospects. If the Jay offer the highest grade talent, they should get something done.

4. Yankees -- I didn't get to see Jagielo myself (he was here the year before I started working for Staten Island), but while he seems like the perfect fit for us on paper, the up and down nature of his value has me worried that he's another guy who is notable mostly jsut because he's a Yankees prospect. I've read a lot of mixed stuff on him.

5. Astros -- Tony Kemp would be a great get in terms of value. I actually think it's probably a little rich. Stassi would be good for us too, but I'm pretty sure the Astros see him as their catcher going forward. Colin Moran is extremely polarizing, with enough people thinking he's absolute garbage that I'd be wary of him as a centerpiece. Domingo Santana is a good prospect and probably a realistic centerpiece even if I hope we can do just a touch better.

for me, this is just my wish, hope and opinion. i think hou and la dodgers offers the most in a wide range of talent for any pkg of netting a nice rtn.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 23, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)

Arroyo is really lighting up the California (High-A) League. His slash line at San Jose from MLB Pipeline (#4): .333/.385/.495 with 19 2B, 2 3B, and 4 HR in 216 AB. The website suggests that the Giants think of him as a shortstop, but scouts project his as a third baseman. Arroyo and Aramis Garcia for Samardzija and a reliever would be a nice swap of the Giants future for the White Sox present.

I would trade Shark and Putnam to the Yankees for J.R Murphy , Jagielo, and PTBL. Sox Front office have been a fan of Murphy in the past and is major league ready which is what Hahn is looking for. Also PTBL can be determined based on how far the Yankees go in the playoffs. Have some upside to this deal.

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)
I would trade Shark and Putnam to the Yankees for J.R Murphy , Jagielo, and PTBL. Sox Front office have been a fan of Murphy in the past and is major league ready which is what Hahn is looking for. Also PTBL can be determined based on how far the Yankees go in the playoffs. Have some upside to this deal.

That's brutal. Give me the comp pick.

Murphy is a back up catcher. Trey M >> Jagielo

Murphy is 24 year old catcher who has had 2 solid seasons playing backup to McCann. Plays solid defense is rated 16th in framing under Fangraphs. He takes a walk which we don't have a lot. Hitters in our lineup that do. Former Top 100 prospect in 2013. Not sure why you say that's brutal.

Edited by PolishPrince34

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
I really get the feeling the teams #1 target is not a catcher, it is a 3b. I don't think they would pass up a deal with a good catching prospect in it, I just really think they will be looking more at the hot corner.

I disagree because I think it depends on how high they are on Trey Michalczewski. He most likely will be in AA next year, and if he has a good year next year, could get an outside shot at a spot next year.

I think they go after middle IF and OFers in trades. Most likely the latter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 07:28 AM)
I really get the feeling the teams #1 target is not a catcher, it is a 3b. I don't think they would pass up a deal with a good catching prospect in it, I just really think they will be looking more at the hot corner.

I think shortstop might be in the mix as well as outfielder and starting pitching. Bottom line, this org is never shy about acquiring pitching so if they get the right pitching prospect, I am sure they'd be more then willing to take it. I still think to really get back to 2016, one of Q / Sale needs to go (counter-intuitive, sure, but bottom line, we need some stellar young position talent and those are the guys that can get you multiple impact pieces). You then have more risk on the rotation, however, we have a few more chips their and a much better track record of success.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:26 AM)
I think shortstop might be in the mix as well as outfielder and starting pitching. Bottom line, this org is never shy about acquiring pitching so if they get the right pitching prospect, I am sure they'd be more then willing to take it. I still think to really get back to 2016, one of Q / Sale needs to go (counter-intuitive, sure, but bottom line, we need some stellar young position talent and those are the guys that can get you multiple impact pieces). You then have more risk on the rotation, however, we have a few more chips their and a much better track record of success.

For what it's worth in the Sun-Times today they had a little blurb where it was said the Sox probably won't be picking up Ramirez' 10 million option for next season so shortstop could be in the mix regarding any trades in the next week.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)

Not my cup of tea but clearly better than a comp pick

Re Trey M, 2017 at the earliest.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
For what it's worth in the Sun-Times today they had a little blurb where it was said the Sox probably won't be picking up Ramirez' 10 million option for next season so shortstop could be in the mix regarding any trades in the next week.

Mark

Given what SS's go for today, I'd be pretty surprised by that. And if they are not planning on picking up his option, there is no reason for him to still be here.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)

We have so many holes, we can almost just target the best available positional prospects we can get.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 11:04 AM)
Not my cup of tea but clearly better than a comp pick

Re Trey M, 2017 at the earliest.

What is Jagielo's ETA? It says 2017 on mlb.com and he's 3 years older than Trey at the same level.

Jagielo's stats .284/.347/.495/.842. 16 doubles, 2 triples, 9 HRs, 35 RBIs, 18 BBs, 58 Ks

Trey's stats .270/.351/.411/.762 22 doubles, 3 triples, 6 HRs, 55 RBIs, 38 BBs, 72Ks

Give me Trey every single day and twice on Sunday.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 07:26 PM)
What is Jagielo's ETA? It says 2017 on mlb.com and he's 3 years older than Trey at the same level.

Jagielo's stats .284/.347/.495/.842. 16 doubles, 2 triples, 9 HRs, 35 RBIs, 18 BBs, 58 Ks

Trey's stats .270/.351/.411/.762 22 doubles, 3 triples, 6 HRs, 55 RBIs, 38 BBs, 72Ks

i find using or getting a player who is a "name" looks better than anything that the org has.

however, where trey made not be ready next yr, jageilo is. the team needs to field a team. unless they go with saladino at 3b next yr.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 01:26 PM)

Said this in the futuresox forum, but I think Trey's success at high-a was the biggest bright spot to our farm this year. Decent K rate, good BB rate, and I feel like I hear good things about defense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
Dan Hayes ‏@CSNHayes 11m11 minutes ago

Robin Ventura, who knows Larry King some from #Dodgers days, said of the tweet: "I haven't called him about the trade, no." #WhiteSox

"I haven't called him about THE trade"?

Looks like Robin let something slip.

#HugWatch2015

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 24, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
i find using or getting a player who is a "name" looks better than anything that the org has.

however, where trey made not be ready next yr, jageilo is. the team needs to field a team. unless they go with saladino at 3b next yr.

How can you say Jageilo is ready next year? He hasn't played above A ball and is 3 years younger than Trey? I'd rather have a full season of Delmonico in AA (younger than Jagielo)

Trey will be in AA next year, and if he has a good year next year, I think he has an outside chance of being a September call up.

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
How can you say Jageilo is ready next year? He hasn't played above A ball and is 3 years younger than Trey? I'd rather have a full season of Delmonico in AA (younger than Jagielo)

Trey will be in AA next year, and if he has a good year next year, I think he has an outside chance of being a September call up.

I don't know what Eric Jagielo you are looking up, but the 3B from Notre Dame is 23 years old (3 years OLDER than Trey), and is in AA batting .284 and slugging almost .500....