Two Sobering Articles...

Lip Man 1

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 09:31 PM)
Yes, every post you have made has been very clear. Fans aren't going to games today because we didn't go to the enough playoffs in the 1960's.

Or the 70's, or the 80's or the 90's or the 2000's...

Even if that's not the point Thad was trying to make, it's not a bad one. Sports fandoms are built generationally (not a real word I know). How many of us are fans of a particular team because we had a parent or a grandparent or an aunt/uncle that was a fan? How many potential fans have we lost because these same parents or grandparents got tired of watching their team lose and never passed their passion down?

Take a look at the Red Sox as a perfect example. For most of the 60’s their attendance was horrible. They couldn’t even draw a million fans to the park. Then they went to (and lost) the WS in 1967. After that their attendance started going up, they started making more playoff appearances and several generations of fans have come along.

Sustained success over several years is typically what builds fanbases.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to all that was involve in this discussion, i am not trying to be rah rah kind of poster.

but both and all sides were very interesting and brought back alot of historical sox info since the late 50's... nice.

and this is a reason a sox fan is different and the northsiders, we know baseball. and we are fans.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
The context is all there. You are keep trying to pull back to generations earlier and use it against the team, but then try to claim that you aren't using as a reason for 2015. It is trying to have it both ways. It is really obvious, even if you don't want to admit it. I honestly don't think you will ever be able to have a "reasonable" conversation on this topic, because the grudge and anger here seem to run really deep, which is why the same posts about 35 and 55 years ago keep coming up over and over and over again in so many other topics and threads.

Referring back to the 1960's/70's/80's fan bases, in multiple conversations about attendance in 2015, but trying to claim they weren't about attendance in 2015 is disingenuous at best. You can rant and get angry all you want, but the point you were trying to make is obvious, even as you retreat from it because you see how absurd it is. If you didn't want to make the point, you wouldn't have mentioned it in the first place in the context that you did.

No, it is not. And so if you are going to respond to me, either figure out a way to put what I say in it's proper context, or just refrain from responding at all as your point of view is just not credible in the least. Thank you.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:21 PM)
No, it is not. And so if you are going to respond to me, either figure out a way to put what I say in it's proper context, or just refrain from responding at all as your point of view is just not credible in the least. Thank you.

It is in the exact context it was presented in. If you don't want it there, don't add it into the argument. Problem solved.

In all fairness, it was more to point out the lack of playoff appearances from 1959 on (which is basically zero until you get to 1983) and the relative lack of success (although still better than the 60's and 70's) under Reinsdorf.

For those who don't know, from 1960 through 1967 the White Sox had a winning season. Between 1963 and 1965 they AVERAGED 94 wins a year. I'd take that in a heartbeat today. Unfortunately for the Sox it came at a time when only one team got to the World Series from each league, there were no expanded playoffs.

But I'd argue the Sox had tremendous success in the 1960's.

Mark

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 10:16 AM)
Sustained success over several years is typically what builds fanbases.

Absolutely agree. And it's a fact the White Sox are the only one of the original pre expansion (1961) major league franchises to have never made the post season in consecutive seasons. Not one time.

Incredible.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
In all fairness, it was more to point out the lack of playoff appearances from 1959 on (which is basically zero until you get to 1983) and the relative lack of success (although still better than the 60's and 70's) under Reinsdorf.

For those who don't know, from 1960 through 1967 the White Sox had a winning season. Between 1963 and 1965 they AVERAGED 94 wins a year. I'd take that in a heartbeat today. Unfortunately for the Sox it came at a time when only one team got to the World Series from each league, there were no expanded playoffs.

But I'd argue the Sox had tremendous success in the 1960's.

Mark

Yeah, I guess that gets lost....those Fox/Aparacio/Pierce teams (Minoso as well?) in the fact that Hawk's obsessed with 1967 (Red Sox in him coming out) and the four teams being tied down the stretch and how the White Sox offense struggled to score that season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 01:24 PM)
It is in the exact context it was presented in. If you don't want it there, don't add it into the argument. Problem solved.

LOL - problem solved will be you just going back to what you do best, which is your negative nattering about the fan base. I'll just go on and continue to enjoy discussing things with those posters who actually understand what's going on.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jul 29, 2015 -> 09:21 PM)
LOL - problem solved will be you just going back to what you do best, which is your negative nattering about the fan base. I'll just go on and continue to enjoy discussing things with those posters who actually understand what's going on.

As opposed to positively bash?

The FG article about Sox hitters was written on July 23rd. The two big numbers were -3.4 WAR (collectively) and 78 wRC+, both good for last place by far. Just 8 days later, our season WAR for position players has leaped to +0.9 and the wRC+ to 85. Still last in WAR, but no longer last in wRC+. We are 2nd in WAR over the last 7 days and respectable 16th over the past 30.

Hitters don't have to be great when our pitchers are 6th in WAR for the season, 1st in the AL. 2nd in WAR in MLB over the past month.