Erik Johnson not listed as AAA starter

Balta1701

Swear I checked charlotte's starting pitcher this morning and it was listed as EJ, now it's listed as Marin and EJ is not scheduled any time in the next few days. His last start was on the 20th so today would be normal rest for him, Penny and Carroll are listed the next couple games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 12:52 PM)
Swear I checked charlotte's starting pitcher this morning and it was listed as EJ, now it's listed as Marin and EJ is not scheduled any time in the next few days. His last start was on the 20th so today would be normal rest for him, Penny and Carroll are listed the next couple games.

#HugWatch #SamardjizaWatch #JohnsonWatch

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 12:58 PM)
It would be nice if things worked out like the Cubs with Hammel. Trade Jeff, then sign him in the off season.

Maybe if we could just get him for two years like the Cubs did with Hammel. I don't really want Jeff for 5-6 years for the money he's going to ask for.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 02:02 PM)
Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 8m8 minutes ago

White Sox shifted around AAA rotation a bit. Erik Johnson, supposed to start today, shifted to Tues (Samardzija next start) via @CSNHayes.

Shoe about ready to drop.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 03:46 PM)
At the most basic level it means that a Samardzija deal is something that might be close enough that they need to plan for it.

If EJ went today it almost certainly meant that Samardzija could not be traded before his next start. They're at least thinking about it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
If EJ went today it almost certainly meant that Samardzija could not be traded before his next start. They're at least thinking about it.

I don't know if I agree with your first statement. There is always someone they could throw in there. What's the worst that could happen? They lose the game?

But yes, I agree it appears they are at least planning for the possibility.

Who knows, maybe it's a little bit of gamesmanship on their part.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 03:58 PM)
I don't know if I agree with your first statement. There is always someone they could throw in there. What's the worst that could happen? They lose the game?

But yes, I agree it appears they are at least planning for the possibility.

Who knows, maybe it's a little bit of gamesmanship on their part.

Depends on if whoever pitching had an option or was eligible to come up. They may also not want to blow the 40 man slot if the person on tap that day wound up being someone not on the 40 man.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
At the most basic level it means that a Samardzija deal is something that might be close enough that they need to plan for it.

True dat! Lots of things in motion and they need to plan ahead just in case. If the reports are true that we want 4 players in return, and I hope that's true, we may not see a deal anyway. We don't need to make a trade. I prefer to keep Samardzijaand sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal. We need to plan also for 2016 and beyond and pitching is key IMO

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Johnson doesn't need to dominate, just show enough to be relied on as a back-end rotation pitcher.

He has middle to upper rotation stuff, but he's going to have a fair amount still to learn. He doesn't have "Rodon" level filthy stuff, but he has solid stuff. Assuming his fastball doesn't have the 2014 issue again, he'll just need to learn how to pitch to big leaguers.