The Teams in Front of us in the Wild Card

soxfan85

Minnesota: Have a gut feeling they will fall from grace

Toronto: Can't pitch, aren't that far ahead of US, and want one of OUR top pitchers...why would we help them? One game over .500

Tampa: I have no idea how they are where they are...but they will fall. Under .500

Detroit: Can't pitch. Under .500

Baltimore: The only team that concerns me, but they are 2 games under .500 and supposedly NOT selling but going for it.

Texas: We will pass them up.

Why not just take a shot at this thing? Still over 2 months to go.

Edited by soxfan85

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 09:43 PM)

Toronto: Can't pitch, aren't that far ahead of US, and want one of OUR top pitchers...why would we help them? One game over .500

Tampa: I have no idea how they are where they are...but they will fall. Under .500

Baltomore: The only team that concerns me, but they are 2 games under .500 and supposedly NOT selling but going for it.

THIS is what it takes to survive a lifetime of White Sox baseball. That's what I like about you, you dream big!

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)

Baltomore: The only team that concerns me, but they are 2 games under .500 and supposedly NOT selling but going for it.

Like I was just saying in the winners thread. Pay what Hahn wants for Shark or tell them kiss my ass while the Sox pass them in the standings. Defense has improved a lot , relief pitching and starters are just fine and with Sanchez, Saladino and Melky being hot we just need more Abreu, LaRoche and Avi HR's to actually be hot for a while. Trouble is asking for HR's from them seems like a bit too much.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

My new White Sox Creed

Past performance does not guarantee future results. You should not rely on any past performance as a guarantee of future winning performance. Pitching, defense, and offense will fluctuate. Fans are cautioned that data based on less than five lifetimes of experience may not be sufficient to establish a track record on which predictions can be based.

QUOTE (soxfan85 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 09:43 PM)

Baltimore: The only team that concerns me, but they are 2 games under .500 and supposedly NOT selling but going for it.

They aren't trading their entire roster; you have to have a trading partner, and the only guys would be Samardzija, and maybe a reliever. Obviously, it's hard to compete if you trade Samardzija though.

It's hard to see the White Sox making a run either way with this offense.

I do think most people on this board are going to be upset by the return that they get for Samardzija so I don't know that trading him is a guarantee if they want to re-sign him (if they feel keeping him makes them a favorite).

I don't want to call myself a pessimist because I would be incredibly happy to see the Sox back in the playoffs. My doubt is there are a lot of teams vying for 2 spots and this year as a whole hasn't been a good indicator on them being a playoff team. My worst case scenario is that the front office doesn't want to trade off players such as Samardzja and we fell flat on our face the rest of the year.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 03:58 AM)
They aren't trading their entire roster; you have to have a trading partner, and the only guys would be Samardzija, and maybe a reliever. Obviously, it's hard to compete if you trade Samardzija though.

It's hard to see the White Sox making a run either way with this offense.

I do think most people on this board are going to be upset by the return that they get for Samardzija so I don't know that trading him is a guarantee if they want to re-sign him (if they feel keeping him makes them a favorite).

it all depends on reality or fantasy.

i just like to gage it against hou's trade and what is value of a comp pick.

QUOTE (WilliamTell @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 04:02 AM)
I don't want to call myself a pessimist because I would be incredibly happy to see the Sox back in the playoffs. My doubt is there are a lot of teams vying for 2 spots and this year as a whole hasn't been a good indicator on them being a playoff team. My worst case scenario is that the front office doesn't want to trade off players such as Samardzja and we fell flat on our face the rest of the year.

again the only way we as fans can see how the sox are performing is this past 3 games. we the fans hasn't seen the true sox team.

for as happy as many may be, i still think the team needs to stay the course of trading.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 11:07 PM)
it all depends on reality or fantasy.

i just like to gage it against hou's trade and what is value of a comp pick.

Reality is that the Sox will get one decent prospect, and not a team's top 5, maybe not even top 10 within an organziation.

That's not to say a 3B prospect couldnt't be a piece the White Sox eventually need, but there are no blue chips or sure things coming back; they should have seen the market for starting pitching and the reality of their own situation back in June or early July.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 11:17 PM)
Three wins vs. Cleveland don't make us a contender.

No. They need to win every game between now and July 31st just to get their management to stay put. With the shuffling of the minor league rotation, it appears they are preparing for a deal to be be made though.

This team would need a 20-10 record in August after a 10-2 type run to finish this month. All not happening with this offense, and defense.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 05:35 AM)
Reality is that the Sox will get one decent prospect, and not a team's top 5, maybe not even top 10 within an organziation.

That's not to say a 3B prospect couldnt't be a piece the White Sox eventually need, but there are no blue chips or sure things coming back; they should have seen the market for starting pitching and the reality of their own situation back in June or early July.

nice post.

that is the true story of the sox under the ownership they have...... always too late

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 09:35 PM)

Then I don't see them making that trade. Why trade for something that's just going to bolster your minor leagues when you can make him a qualifying offer and get a compensatory pick, someone who has a greater chance of contributing to the ML team.

If it's Toronto, I go after Pentecost

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 11:35 PM)

Based on what? The Kazmir return? Let's not jump to conclusions based on a Billy Beane trade. He routinely does things that go against popular opinion. While the amount of starting pitching available has definitely increased over the past couple weeks, I'm not sure I believe it's quite the buyer's market the media is portraying. It seems like a lot of names have been floated in hopes of an overpay and not because the teams are motivated to sell. I still think the market of potential impact starters that are readily available is fairly small. IMO, the Sox should be able to get more than you're suggesting.

Obviously Hamels is driving his own market up, and some of these other pitching names that are coming up more recently (Shields, Cashner, Ross, Gallardo, Haren) have changed the market to an extent, but each one is a pretty unique situation.

The Royals have basically been forced to add another starter, and that wasn't the case two weeks ago...not in order to make the playoffs, but to get anywhere once they arrive there and pitching becomes more and more critical.

The Cubs and Astros are also feeling the pressure, although it seems for the moment Houston has weathered the storm and are right back in the thick of things.

Then you have the Twins and Mets, two teams that arrived on the scene a year early, like the Cubs and Astros. None of those teams can really afford to completely stand pat without adding somewhere...of course, the Mets have the pitching surplus, but there are always big market teams out there like the Dodgers and Yankees circling like vultures for pitching.

Toronto and Baltimore are in situations where they could go either way...but the indicator SHOULD point to adding as weak as the AL East is and the fact that there are two spots essentially up for grabs there if you're not taking the Twins 100% seriously.

And it's still very difficult for me to imagine with the Tigers hanging in there around .500 that they're just going to white flag it and deal Price, Cespedes, Soria, Davis, Avila, etc.

Will believe it when it happens. But it has never been the Illitch style, that's for sure.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 12:35 AM)

What are you basing that on???. Boston got Baltimore's 3rd for Andrew Miller last season for a 2 month rental. I think we get a 3-5 and a 15-20.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 25, 2015 -> 11:37 PM)
No. They need to win every game between now and July 31st just to get their management to stay put. With the shuffling of the minor league rotation, it appears they are preparing for a deal to be be made though.

This team would need a 20-10 record in August after a 10-2 type run to finish this month. All not happening with this offense, and defense.

C'mon. At least be realistic. If the sox were somehow able to go 30-12 in their next 42, they'd be within a few games of the Royals and most likely leading the WC race.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
What are you basing that on???. Boston got Baltimore's 3rd for Andrew Miller last season for a 2 month rental. I think we get a 3-5 and a 15-20.

Samardjiza is not an ace, that is the problem. But there probably are enough teams that don't want to meet the price for a Cueto or Price or Hamels, sp hopefully you are right, but IMO, for this trade to really be anything but a salary dunp in reality when it is all said and done, they are going to have to get lucky with a Montas type prospect.

I think initally, the general consensus will be disappointment iwith the return, although some will have glee thet the trade apparently signals surrender this year. Who knows, maybe Johnson outpitches Shark the balance of this season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jul 26, 2015 -> 12:46 AM)
Then I don't see them making that trade. Why trade for something that's just going to bolster your minor leagues when you can make him a qualifying offer and get a compensatory pick, someone who has a greater chance of contributing to the ML team.

If it's Toronto, I go after Pentecost

What matters is the actual value of the player and not their organizational rating. For instance, the Sox #10 is Nolan Sanburn and the Dodgers #10 is Austin Barnes. I don't think too many people would argue against Barnes being more valuable than Sanburn.

I have no problem taking the comp pick if the Sox do not get a good offer but bare in mind comp picks are years away from helping the ML club if they develop. Imo, the Sox will get at least one player that has more value than a comp pick.

Pentecost has not played yet this year due his having a second surgery on his throwing shoulder.

I'm hoping the Sox can manage a Samardzija for Barnes trade somehow.

Winning these three games just makes selling harder for the fans to accept than buying. Notice than no one is really thinking about adding a bat to make the playoffs. The choices still are staying pat or selling.